Driving with Blown Headgasket - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Driving with Blown Headgasket

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 10-27-2012, 09:06 PM   #1
Nic
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Driving with Blown Headgasket

Hello fellow Jeepers,

I have recently discovered that my headgasket has gone on my 4.0L from my '95 YJ. When checking the oil there is an un-healthy amount of coolent, along with slight gurgling sounds right after driving. The engine is also starting to sound like a diesel. I am curious as to what the consequences maybe if I continue driving my YJ in its current state? I am not sure when it may have first gone but i suspect may have already driven a month with it blown. This includes a fair few strenuous hill climbs and off-roading. The engine doesnt appear to ever overheat, and there doesnt seem to be any large amount of fumes coming out on start-up. I am planning on doing this repair ASAP but as things are going I lack the time and alternate transportation to work. When I do replace the headgasket could there be any added problems from the prolonged driving with a headgasket blown?

Cheers, Nic

Nic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2012, 09:20 PM   #2
Tim93wrangler
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Had an old car with the same issue, never over heated but the head cracked.
Tim93wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2012, 09:46 PM   #3
czjeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Not a good idea.
If coolant gets in the oil it will likely destroy the bearings.
Armed Forces Jeeps Member #125
Red Jeep Club Member #251

In the Portland/Vancouver area? Check 'em out! Piston's Wild Motorsports Club

Click here for 2.5L AX5 to AX15 swap
czjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2012, 11:11 PM   #4
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Could also end up warping the head.

In any case, not a good idea to drive with a blown head gasket. All you are doing is risking increasing the cost of repairs.
NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2012, 01:02 AM   #5
StillYDGN
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I would avoid driving it at all costs or it could cost you.
StillYDGN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2012, 02:08 AM   #6
Dake
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

It will cost you more in the long run. It will only get worse.
Dake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2012, 03:44 AM   #7
Nic
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the quick reply's! I guess it looks like I will be taking the bus for awhile then! While I have the top of the engine apart is there anything else I should look into replacing while I have the opportunity?
Nic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2012, 07:59 AM   #8
Jeepsr4me

Look at the top of the block where the head gasket is broken. Some times when the break is in between cyl the exhaust pressure will start to carve a groove there. If that is case you would need the block machined back flat.
Also take head to machine shop and have them check for cracks and deck it.
Changing HG is not hard. Its knowing what to look for that can be a little tricky. You should be able to tell with in a few seconds after the head comes off where the leak is at. It may be a crack... Most times head gaskets when they let go its not long before the coolant fills the cylinder after you shut down. Then when you try to crank it, the starter forces the piston and rod out the side of block. Cause you aint compressing water
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
coolant , driving , head gasket , knocking , time

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.