drivetrain problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > drivetrain problem

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-31-2011, 06:05 PM   #1
anthonywrangler

drivetrain problem

I have a 1989 wrangler, and today on my way to work I heard a clunk........clunk.........clunk every 50 feet at around 70mph. I then pulled over to see what it could be, could not do a good check being that it was raining real bad. I then went to go in first gear and as I let go of the clutch nothing but rattling noise and the truck hardly moves. It will jolt forward real hard like I popped the clutch if I kept my foot on the gas. Got the truck towed to the house, and tried some trial and error. The drive shaft to the front wheel is not on (from previous owner). Shifter set to 2wd. NOW!!!!! When I put it into neutral or 4wd low (last one at the bottom) it will drive with no rattling/grinding noise but feel like lose of power like clutch is slipping. In 2wd or 4wd high it will rattle/grinding and won't move. I can fully let go of the clutch in first gear and it won't shut off. Your help is greatly appreciated!!!!!

anthonywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2011, 06:52 PM   #2
panaceabeachbum
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

sounds like its time for a clutch
panaceabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2011, 09:00 PM   #3
anthonywrangler

You think? Because like I said when I change out of the 2wd to 4wd the truck will move. How does the transfer case effect the clutch?
Unread 03-31-2013, 10:50 AM   #4
anthonywrangler

It was the transfer case
Unread 03-31-2013, 02:27 PM   #5
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonywrangler View Post
It was the transfer case
What was wrong with it?

My 2.5 to 4.3 swap thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...begun-1237704/
YJames90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2013, 07:19 PM   #6
anthonywrangler

I asume since i have a 4 inch lift and the tranny is dropped so i can still use the stock drive shaft (i bought the jeep like that)(and im new to the jeep world) caused the oil to leak out little buy little and ran it dry enought till it finally gave out. And i was running it on 2 wheel drive because the front shaft is not connected

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.