Drivetrain parts from my parts cheap compatibility - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By timatoe

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 06-19-2017, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
ScottCassidy24
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Drivetrain parts from my parts cheap compatibility

Hey everyone. I've just picked up a base model 95' YJ. 2.5L 4 cyl. Manual transmission. It passed emissions and safety inspection before I purchased it thankfully! For its age and being an Ontario jeep it's in reasonably good condition. Needs a few little things (temperature gauge isn't working and 4 low won't engage) but having this other jeep makes me think we could really beef this little 4 cylinder up.

My parts jeep 92' 6cyl automatic with half as many miles on it but with bad frame and tub. Needs a whole bunch of other work but drivetrain is in good shape..

What I want to do is swap transfer cases (or repair the one in the good jeep). transfer case won't engage neutral or 4 low in the good jeep. And Possible engine swap as the good jeep has double the miles and a 2.5 4cyl.

1. I believe all YJ jeeps used the same transfer case so should be interchangeable?

2. Transmission gearing... is it the same for I6 vs I4 engines? Would there be any problem keeping the manual trans and putting the bigger engine on it? Any need for adapters etc? Or will all the bolt holes line up.

Any helpful tips and tricks with regard to 4 to 6 cylinder engine swaps? I've never attempted any engine swaps/installations. Are all Motor mounts present on the 4cyl frame? How much of exhaust system will have to be swapped, will the different drivetrain components line up or will there be a need for adaptor plates etc.

I have a mechanical background. But I've never done an engine swap or drivetrain work before. I'm eager, and have most of the tools I think. And some friends who can help but I need to have the game plan in place and know exactly what's required.

Any links out there to other threads or YouTube videos are appreciated

Thanks everyone !

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-19-2017, 08:08 AM
johnboy68
HIP2BSQR

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Start here:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/y...-specs-563403/

-John-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 Old 06-19-2017, 08:49 AM
bruinjeeper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Motor mounts are present, but will need to be cut and relocated.

post #4 of 11 Old 06-19-2017, 11:31 AM
timatoe
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

If it were me...... I'd pull the entire drivetrain, exhaust, wiring etc from the 6 cylinder donor and swap into the good frame 4 banger. Other than the new motor mounts, I wouldn't be trying to piece mill anything together, use everything that already works together. Keep the 4 banger axles, unless the 6's were already regeared better than 4.10.
project_mercy likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-19-2017, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
ScottCassidy24
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Actually the front axle has a cable style selectable diff lock, I haven't looked at it closely Unfortunately the doner jeep has busted shock mount on rear axle. Will have to check hearing and see. The doner is an hour away at my mother place where I had it up for sale. Will have to get it back to my place before I start tearing it apart.

The switch from manual to automatic transmission will undoubtedly mean more work. I'll have a look round and see. Otherwise I'll need the ax15. Which I would prefer but my wife would definitely be happier with the automatic trans.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-19-2017, 12:46 PM
puppybreath
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Hold out for the AX15, less trouble in the long run
post #7 of 11 Old 06-19-2017, 06:49 PM
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The axles in the four cylinder were 4.10 stock vs. 3.07(3.55?) for the six cylinder, so you are ahead of the game there.

I would keep the transfer case with the auto trans setup as you may have to swap input gears going to a manual. Keeping the whole six cylinder drivetrain intact will make things easier.

The fun part will be removing the motor mount towers and welding them in the correct position for the six cylinder

91 YJ Sahara, 4.0L, AX-15/NP231, D30/D35@3.07
12 Cherokee 4x4,3.7L,42RLE/MP1522, D30M/8.25@3.73
Emission test=YES
"Non Vi Sed, Arte"
post #8 of 11 Old 09-17-2017, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
ScottCassidy24
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Reviving this one. Winter approaching and I've had a blast with the little 2.5, got some (31's on it which is better than what it came with believe it or not) had some fun wheeling a few times and I've gotten much more familiar with it in general.

I'm committed to putting the 4.0 with ax15 in. I've got all winter to do it.

So far here's what I think I'll need

From the donor jeep:
Drive shafts
Engine
Computer
(Not wiring harness as I am going to splice into the existing harness on the 2.5)
Move motor mounts

From abroad:
Ax15 trans

Unknown:
Input shafts and number of splines etc.
Are the attached to the trans or the transfer case? Would using the transfer case off the automatic transmission solve this? Or does it make a difference between the two transfer cases is have. (One on the ax5 verses the one on the 4.0 with auto transmission)

Anything else I am missing?

At the same time I'm going to put on new springs and shocks with a 2" lift, new tires bc the 31" mud terrains are tires and hard, new soft top, new speakers in the dash, stereo head unit from my donor because it's a tape deck and I love he nostalgia factor.
post #9 of 11 Old 09-18-2017, 01:29 AM
timatoe
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Why generate the headache of trying to splice together two different harnesses? I'd pull the full 6 cylinder harness and use that, you can probably sell the unmolested 4 banger harness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #10 of 11 Old 09-18-2017, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
ScottCassidy24
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Only because I read a thread about a guy having Trouble with his engine swap and stating that if he had know How easy splicing into the 4banger harness was he would have done it in the beginning. He ended up putting in the 6cyk harness then taking it out and splicing his 4cly harness before everything worked for him
post #11 of 11 Old 09-18-2017, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
ScottCassidy24
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I spoke to a guy who's a couple hours drive away from me selling parts. He's got the ax15 and also said I would need bellhousingbwith external slave cylinder + recommended new master, said need a clutch kit, Release bearing, and a transfer case rebuild because no point in replacing the input shaft without overhauling the transfer case.

Does this all sound on point?

Can I rebuild the transfer case myself? The Haynes manual says not to try because specialized tools are required but I'm not sure I completely believe that.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.