driveshaft and SYE - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > driveshaft and SYE

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoRCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 04-11-2013, 08:30 PM   #1
kjg26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

driveshaft and SYE

when installing a SYE obviously the stock driveshaft will not work. Until earlier today I assumed the only solution was a DC(double cardigon) shaft was the only option. Someone mentioned using a shaft with single u-joints on both ends with the slip in the middle. This makes sense for smaller lifts, at least in my head. I'm working with about 3 in of lift on my 93 YJ. Which set up should I go with. Pros/cons of each? Or am I completely flawed in my thought process. Everyone seems to go with the DC shafts.

Unread 04-11-2013, 09:30 PM   #2
SamzJeep

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Hey 26, I'm pretty much doing the same thing within the next few weeks (SYE and DC drive shaft). I have an '88 YJ and recently put in an AX15/231 TC out of a '97 XJ. I've had them for about a year and just got around to putting them in. I've done a lot of reading/searching reference the SYE/DC. It seems to be what you need to do...if you put a SYE, then you need/should put the DC. You'll also have to get your pinion correct. There's a few posts on this forum that pretty much walk you through it. It's best to do it right the first time, instead of trying something that will likely not work very well. I finally put in my 4" lift last week and I'm doing other things as I'm waiting for parts to show up at my door (UPS). The DC I'm going to be using is actually a front drive shaft from the same XJ I got my tranny/TC out of. I'll be taking it to a driveline shop to have them shorten it and balance it. I won't be able to do that until I take my TC drop out and set the pinion, so I can get the correct measurements for the DC drive shaft. Do more searching on this so you don't run into problems. I hope this helps....good luck....
Unread 04-11-2013, 11:36 PM   #3
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Sam has the right idea.
Unread 04-12-2013, 10:25 AM   #4
87TPIYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

THIS

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...ft/index2.html

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.