Driveshaft Grinding - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Driveshaft Grinding

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 04-08-2010, 10:43 AM   #1
thegreatnardini
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Driveshaft Grinding

Hi there -

I was driving on the highway yesterday when all of a sudden the Jeep started vibrating and making a horrible grinding noise. I made it back home and checked underneath and this is what I found where the slip yoke connects to the rear drive shaft:

What do you think could be the cause of this? U-joint failure? they seem ok but I'm no mechanic so I could be missing something. I have a 1.5" lift on the Jeep, and although it came with a transfer-case drop kit I never installed it and haven't had a problem for the two years the lift has been on. Does the drive shaft angle look too extreme? I'm thinking about installing the transfer-case drop kit just to be on the safe side. I'll definitely have to replace the slip yoke and U-joints, just not sure what else needs to be done to keep this from happening all over again.

Thanks for your input guys

thegreatnardini is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2010, 10:45 AM   #2
1997_Sport
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Just replace the ujoint and see if it helps.
Unread 04-08-2010, 12:02 PM   #3
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yep looks like the u-joint needle bearings have wore out and the whole joint has shifted causing it to bind.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2010, 12:40 PM   #4
djsmith1174
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Just looks like a massive u-joint failure. It happens on occasion. Sometimes the cross will break and the driveshaft will just flop around and smash the floorpan. I doubt that the small lift is compromising your driveshaft angles. Did you notice any vibration prior to the failure? If you did you can always lower the Tcase an inch to alleviate that. If not, just replace the slip yoke and u-joint and chock it up to mechanical failure. If the wear on the driveshaft is too severe, you may want to replace the whole thing. It can easily be thrown out of balance causing vibration and premature failure in the future.

Last edited by djsmith1174; 04-08-2010 at 01:40 PM..
djsmith1174 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.