Driveshaft Geometry and axle shim questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Driveshaft Geometry and axle shim questions

Borla Exhaust presents "Climber" at EJSTactical Recovery Equipment Soft Shackles!!!Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba

Unread 02-27-2015, 01:12 PM   #1
YJjeeper1
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Driveshaft Geometry and axle shim questions

Hello fellow jeepers. I have a few questions regarding driveshaft angle. I bought a zone 2 inch lift kit and plan to install this weekend. However it came with 4 degree shims and I am not sure whether to install it or not. My Transfer case output is at 7 degrees and the rear pinion is at 6 degrees. My understanding is that each inch of lift will drop the rear pinion one degree. So I am wondering if the 4 degree shims are too much? My measurements might be off because my rear springs are sagging so much that they have a negative arch, so i know this 2 inch lift will definitely give me over 2 inches.Its essential I get this right because I am trying to avoid a tc drop and the purpose of the 2 inch lift was to avoid a sye. Maybe I am over thinking? The instructions say to use the shim if no other drive line modifications will be performed. Any help is appreciated.

YJjeeper1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2015, 01:50 PM   #2
timatoe
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I don't think you're going to need the shims, but maybe. With a standard slip drive shaft you want the pinion angle and the t/c output essentially parallel. I may not be understanding what you mean about each inch of lift causing a 1* change in pinion angle, drive shaft angle yes, not pinion angle..... The perches on the axle are keeping the pinion in the same plain regardless of how far up or down the entire axle moves vertically with the spring height (unless I'm just totally missing something).

My guess would be they include the shims assuming you'll go to a SYE in which case you need to alter the pinion angle to point toward the t/c output.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2015, 02:14 PM   #3
YJjeeper1
1989 YJ Wrangler 

From looking at it , that was my understanding as well, I was confused because I had read something different. So anyways, my angles seem to be almost parallel off by .8 degrees, I guess I'll be fine with no shims? What angle on the driveshaft is acceptable?
Unread 02-27-2015, 02:19 PM   #4
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I would start with no shims if your angles are that close. the driveshaft angle is limited by whats called the operating angle on the ujoint. I dont recall exactly what the limit it on that. You should be fine with that size spring. every jeep is different though. I think 4* is too much for a 2" lift and no SYE
The_Goob is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2015, 02:25 PM   #5
bpounds
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I have that lift, plus 1/2" shackles. Nice springs. You will get close to 3" out of that 2" kit. That's the good news.

The bad news is that I tried every combination of shims/no shims and TC drop/no TC drop, and the only way I could avoid vibrations was with the shims and with at least a 3/4" TC drop. I spent a whole day trying to eliminate one or the other. No dice.

I'm all for trying all the combinations to find out how your particular setup works. Just letting you know what I had to do. I will need an SYE to be able to change anything.
bpounds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2015, 03:07 PM   #6
YJjeeper1
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the reassurance bpounds, I did my research and this lift seemed the best bang for my buck for me. I wish there was a one size fits all answer but I guess I'll have to experiment. I'll start with no shims and go from there. I do think the 4 degree shims might be too much but who knows with these YJs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.