Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Driveshaft fell out

2K views 31 replies 14 participants last post by  1997_Sport 
#1 ·
Today I was at a stop sign, started to turn and heard a loud pop. I didnt think anything of it people sometimes the jeep does weird things. So I went to drive away and nothing I though at first it was the tranny and I was in deep ****. So I drifted back so people could go around me, looked under and my driveshaft was hanging off. It was still connected in the TC but not on the axle.

Since yesterday I have felt a slight vib and a small hum, but didnt think anything of it since once again its a jeep, it makes noises.

So what happened, and what do I need to get to fix it? Also, I dont have that much money so SYE and CV shaft is outta the question, ** Unless someone can post of a very good reason why I should get it, and I'll show my parents and maybe they can get it for me and I'll pay em back. :D**

See less See more
#3 ·
well looks like youve got a decent amount of work ahead of you... you gotta drill those bolts out and get new straps, bolts , and u-joint... get to work.. why this happened i cant tell you but id assume one of the caps came off or possibly the ujoint went bad and caused it to rip the straps off the yoke...

Good Luck!

#5 ·
lol so there was no vibrations or anything at all leading up to this? just a pop?

if there was any vibrations at all, i hope you remember what they felt and sounded like, that way you can catch this next time before it gets this bad.

looks like you lost your caps, then it vibrated so bad it snapped the strap off on one side and bent the other side.

once you recover those two broken bolts out of the yoke, put new straps on a new ujoint, and start all over again.

#9 ·
lol so there was no vibrations or anything at all leading up to this? just a pop?

if there was any vibrations at all, i hope you remember what they felt and sounded like, that way you can catch this next time before it gets this bad.

looks like you lost your caps, then it vibrated so bad it snapped the strap off on one side and bent the other side.

once you recover those two broken bolts out of the yoke, put new straps on a new ujoint, and start all over again.
There was a very very slight vibration, but only I could feel it. Last night I felt it asked my girlfriend if she felt anything she said no. I could also hear a slight hum, but only when I would hit the gas. I just started to take off, heard a pop, and it was on the ground.

But i'll def look at the other threads, I actually was going to, then realized I had homework due tomorrow morning. lol

Also, a bunch of red fluid was leaking out when it came out, where do I refil that at?

#6 ·
if you go to the bottom of this page it says "similar threads"

READ THOSE

#11 ·
Sounds like the transfer case fluid, use a 30mm socket and take the fill plug off. It is on the back of the tcase on the drivers side. You will see two large 30 mm bolts. The one you want is the top one closer to the tailcone. Take it out and fill until fluid comes out.

#15 ·
it doesn't appear that your straps broke though...it was the bolts. maybe they were old and rusted. the u-bolt things are nice, but i just drilled out my yoke and tapped it all the way through with a 1/4-28 tap. then i got some grade 8 1/4-28 bolts and ran them all the way through the yoke and put a nylon locking nut on the back. same crap happened to me....but not anymore!!

#18 ·
i'm up in the fredneck and i've seen the front shaft fall out of a truck infront of me. funny thing was he didn't realize till i started honking at him

#21 ·
samething happened to me. at first i changed the ujoints, then bam it happened again a week later, and i think 2 more times. turns out, i broke off one of the tabs that hold the caps on the u joint. i had to get a new yoke. 4wd and quadratec have them for like $50.

also i broke the bolts off just like you the first time, and i got them out extremely easy using a flat-head screw driver. where it was un even the screw driver turned the bolts. they only seemed about finger tight.

if your tabs are good i would try that first.

and needless to say, i can change a ujoint very quickly now...

EDIT: look in to a SYE/Cv driveshaft asap.

#24 ·
Well, i just went out and got one out. It wasnt completely broken in the hole so i used some dikes to grab it and twist. The other one however is broken inside it, so tomorrow ill try and use a hacksaw blade or a knife to cut a groove in the bolt then try to use a screw driver.

#27 ·
I went to salvos today and got whatever he gave me, I didnt get your reply in time. The straps are very ****ty, so I may have to go somewhere else to get them. I now just have to find out how to install the new ujoint and take the old one out. haha

#28 ·
Okay guys, I got the old u-joint out, but now when I went to install the new one, it doesnt fit sorda. Its up against the clip on the one side, and the other side has about 1 mm or less that it has to move down but doesnt have room.

So, I guess tomorrow morning before school i will take it off and take it back. Unlesss someone tells me a secret. haha

#29 ·
try this I just did this to my dana 35 worked great. I would also recommend a good drill bit to do this, it will really make it a 30 min job rather that a 3 hour job.:cheers:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.