Driveshaft experiment/ sye purchase. - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Driveshaft experiment/ sye purchase.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 11-18-2013, 06:57 PM   #31
hotcobra03

heres more reading from spicer...i made a pdf link to save u time..you will see diagram posted..

https://workspaces.acrobat.com/?d=hd...dNJq1yqCbwxf5Q

hotcobra03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 07:40 PM   #32
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Personally I'd get an SYE, then take the measurements from the output to the pinion yoke and order a CV shaft, then shim it accordingly....welding the spring perches in the proper location would be a better option than shims though.

Short term fix, remove shims, lower transfer case.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 07:43 PM   #33
Springer45
1993 YJ Wrangler 

So what I'm taking from this is that the drive shaft angle isn't as important as the relationship to the angle of the pinion and yoke. So my angles being 17 and 11 show that I'm 6 degrees difference and the max allowable (but not ideal, being 1 degree) is 3 degrees. so i need to change either the transfer case by three degrees or the rear axle housing by three. if i remove the transfer case drop it will jump down to like 7 degrees of angle instead of eleven and i will need to drastically make a change. such as a cv joint. The only question left is if I remove the shims will it affect my castor angle? Or does castor on an alignment only refer to the front axle?
Springer45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 07:49 PM   #34
Springer45
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06 View Post
Personally I'd get an SYE, then take the measurements from the output to the pinion yoke and order a CV shaft, then shim it accordingly....welding the spring perches in the proper location would be a better option than shims though.

Thanks for your help. I think this is the only option at this point. Short term fix is a good way to tell if my drive shaft is causing the noise. The only issue is that the lift kit came with the transmission drop so I'm hoping that removing the shims fixes my issue. Is there anything else I can do if that doesn't do the trick? Will i have and castor issues if I change the perch angles? or does castor only refer to front axles?
Unread 11-18-2013, 07:55 PM   #35
Hotrodyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Castor on refers to the front axle
Hotrodyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 08:10 PM   #36
hotcobra03

more reading..axles by size..

https://workspaces.acrobat.com/?d=od...tWlBhgD3grzhEA

heres main link..looks like only half copied

http://spicerparts.com/sites/default...ibrary/xgi.pdf
Unread 11-18-2013, 08:26 PM   #37
Springer45
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotcobra03 View Post
Reading is great and all but I'm looking for answers. I've read a lot but I need to act soon. I'll read later. After the minimum amount of reading I've done, am I not correct on the issue?
Unread 11-18-2013, 09:35 PM   #38
hotcobra03

just remember if you drop trans down front goes up..engine mount ?

i would change rear with a shim ..the service manual has nice write up in both 88 manual and 90 manual but are pdf manuals thats hard to copy..

do you have both of those..they can be uploaded to most cell phones...
Unread 11-18-2013, 09:43 PM   #39
hotcobra03

here is 88 fsm

https://workspaces.acrobat.com/?d=6z...dA-8TqFdbDq6tQ

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4...e%20Manual.pdf
Unread 11-18-2013, 09:45 PM   #40
hotcobra03

parts manual

https://workspaces.acrobat.com/?d=QS...Dcw6f9a30PBNSA
Unread 11-18-2013, 09:57 PM   #41
hotcobra03

link with pic of cv in rear

http://www.jeeptech.com/axle/aub.html
Unread 11-18-2013, 10:07 PM   #42
hotcobra03

list of jeep axles

http://automobile.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Jeep_axles
Unread 11-19-2013, 05:17 PM   #43
Springer45
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I just bought a super short tereflex sye kit. I'm going to eliminate me trans drop and shim and install the kit. There goes $500 I don't have. Lol. However I can't say I'm not excited.
Unread 11-20-2013, 09:09 PM   #44
Springer45
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06 View Post

So do I measure d.s. length with shims in or out? Does it matter or will it change length depending on the shim? I just remove the shims and the noise is much worse. I just need up get the sye installed. How long will it take to do? It seems like a couple hour job?
Unread 11-20-2013, 09:16 PM   #45
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

You want to measure for the driveshaft where the axle is going to stay. Though it isn't going to make a big difference either way. If you have never been into a transfer case it may take a bit longer but 2-3 hours is about right. Get a good pair of snap ring plyers. They can be a pain in the butt. Some people leave the transfer case attached to the transmission, but personally I think it is worth pulling all of the way down to work on it comfortably.

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.