Driveshaft - to balance or not to balance??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Driveshaft - to balance or not to balance???

Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Zone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-08-2009, 12:29 PM   #1
brtt485
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Driveshaft - to balance or not to balance???

Just finished the SYE install on my YJ and had an XJ front shaft cut down to length. The stock u-joints (no idea how old they are) seem to be in good shape. The jeep is not my DD but it does get highway use to and from the trail.

My question is do I need to have the driveshaft balanced and if so does it matter if I have it balanced with the stock u-joints and then replace them later or should I replace them and then have it balanced???

Local shop wants $75 to balance the shaft and if I do that and add up the cost of buying the XJ shaft, having it shortened, new u-joints/centering ball, etc.. I could have almost just purchased a new Tom Woods shaft!

Also, if I am replacing the u-joints what should I be doing with the centering ball? Replace? Repair kit? I am new to CV shafts!

brtt485 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2009, 01:15 PM   #2
1998zj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I didn't balance mine and it has no vibrations.
Unread 09-08-2009, 01:59 PM   #3
jbeebe
1991 YJ Wrangler 

yea i mean, if you're not getting any vibes then no need to balance. if the ujoints are in good shape it's up to you whether or not you want to replace them just for the extra assurance.
jbeebe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2009, 02:57 PM   #4
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I say if you went through the trouble of cutting it down, why not balance? You might as well do it right if you're going to do it. I had my front one balanced for about $52. The guy also painted it, straightened it, and lubed the u-joints. I would also replace the centering ball and u-joints if you can.

Just my 2 cents though.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2009, 03:51 PM   #5
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

That sounds a bit high. I have a tom woods shaft and I just put in a 44 rear which required me to shorten the shaft over an inch. The telescoping part apartently god some mud in it and seized up at some point which I didnt notice until I pulled it apart. I sent it back to tom woods and they cut it down, balanced it, replaced two u joints, a couple seals and took care of the binding issue for 105 bucks shipped back to me. A local guy wanted 65 just to cut it down and fix the binding which he apparantly couldnt after a week and gave it back to me. I payed 330 for it new a few years back which seemed a bit steep at the time but its definatly a quality piece.
93jeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2009, 04:46 PM   #6
dbikers
1989 YJ Wrangler 

no need to balance unless you have a lunchbox locker or 1 piece axle (no vac disconnect) as the ds shouldn't turn unless you're in 4wd.
Unread 09-08-2009, 05:19 PM   #7
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbikers View Post
no need to balance unless you have a lunchbox locker or 1 piece axle (no vac disconnect) as the ds shouldn't turn unless you're in 4wd.
I'm pretty sure he's talking about the rear shaft.

OP, you're probably ok if there's no vibes now. I woulda just had it balanced when it was cut down though. And no it doesn't matter if you change the u-joints after it's balanced.
timatoe is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2009, 05:32 PM   #8
dbikers
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
I'm pretty sure he's talking about the rear shaft.

OP, you're probably ok if there's no vibes now. I woulda just had it balanced when it was cut down though. And no it doesn't matter if you change the u-joints after it's balanced.
HA, i think that i've been hittin' the bong a little too hard.
jk, i have front ds on the brain and i need a balanced one (aussie locker)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.