driveshaft - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > driveshaft

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 12-16-2001, 06:40 PM   #1
I-be-jeepin

driveshaft

I purchased a rubicon 4" suspension for my YJ, and I don't want to lower my transfercase. So I was thinking about having my rear drive shaft cut and lengthened. Anyone ever done this? Just looking for the pros and cons

Turbocity air tube, exhaust, and throttlebody
I-be-jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2001, 07:31 PM   #2
byj92

ok i haven't "made my shaft longer" haha, but i have fought many battles with my rear driveshaft and...just using the laws of physics i think it's safe to say that you should just buy a new driveshaft if you want a longer one, shouldn't run u more that $200. the reason i say this is because there will be more torque put on your u joint with a longer driveshaft...longer shaft=more torque...so u might run into problems with your u joints...and where replacing them only takes a few seconds, u run the risk of damaging your driveshaft when the u joint snaps and the shaft flies out of the transmission...but that's just what i think, somebody please tell me if this is an unrealistic scenario...thanks
byj92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2001, 09:15 PM   #3
RodeoRob

My friend has the RE 4" on her YJ. she did have to get the driveshaft lengthened even *with* the tcase drop. She could have driven with the stock shaft, but at full flex she risked pulling the shaft out of the tcase.

the tcase drop is more intended to lessen the angle of the driveshaft rather than help with its length. The short size of the Wranglers driveshaft and lifting it, makes for some steep angles. Steep angles are bad on ujoints.

I'd install the tcase drop or spend the extra bills and get yourself a SYE. As for the driveshaft length, just look at the slip yoke after the lift is installed. If it does need to be longer, there is nothing wrong with lengthening it (cost us $80) as opposed to buying a whole brand new one. The driveshaft shop replaces the entire tub on the shaft just using the old ends (yokes).

-Rob
1995.5 Isuzu Rodeo - SAS'd and SOA'd, sitting on 36x12.50 TSLs, D44 front, 14bff rear, locked by OX and Detriot, suspensions by Jeep and Chevy, high steer conversion, 5.13 gearing and Teralow in the case.
robgorrell@yahoo.com - website
RodeoRob is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.