Driver's side brake caliber stuck on the way to work, no tools, what should I do? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Driver's side brake caliber stuck on the way to work, no tools, what should I do?

SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 06-21-2010, 11:42 AM   #16
sloan74
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelbarry View Post
I think you'll need more luck on not getting in trouble over that than you will on getting the brakes fixed. Good luck!
This man speaks the truth...

sloan74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2010, 11:43 AM   #17
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
If you drive it your calipper maybe the worst of your problems. I dont know how bad they are stuck but you generate a bunch of heat when you brake. Driving against that much friction if the calipers are stuck full on could give you more than heat it could give you flame. Get a bunch of water if you aere thinking about driving it home. Stop and quech it. If its stuck full on though I wouldnt risk it.
wow no....

this will warp the rotor in short order.......

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2010, 08:12 PM   #18
sloan74
2013 JK Wrangler 

Crawled it back home after work. Was barely on the brakes let the gears/engine do most the stopping. The caliber did not stick, nor get hot.

So I was able to swing by the pool, go swimming and take the kids home in their infamous Jeep wife agro free....lol!

Removed the tires and drum and cleaned the rears and bled. Will do the fronts tomorrow, I ran out of daylight. Will take another car to work tomorrow and let the jeep sit in the garage...

oh how I love mud.....
sloan74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2010, 08:47 PM   #19
Wild Hare
1991 YJ Wrangler 

rubber brake lines are a common issue for caliper lock up. interior lining of the hose from the frame to the caliper fails and causes a one way flap allowing fluid to the caliper but not to return to the master. make sure your not replacing calipers for nothing.
Wild Hare is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2010, 09:02 PM   #20
K4KAS
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like the dreaded "mudhole hangover"
It will do it again. Keep an eye on the pads when you take it apart, sometimes so much heat can delaminate the pad from its backing. Its probably just bad calipers. Even if only one has done it, I would change both. I also never change a caliper without changing the rubber flex lines as mentioned. NEVER USE WATER ON A HOT ROTOR OR CALIPER!
Hope you get her fixed and figured out, without getting "caught"
K4KAS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2010, 09:33 PM   #21
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I had to drive a SRT Neon 45 miles with a stuck caliper. I used the paking brake when I could but when I used the brakes it froze up and I had to wait until it cooled to get it to release. I carries a gallon jug and I quenched it when I had no other choise. The were drilled and slotted rotors. The got hotter than ..... I swore I'd never do it again.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.