Driver's side brake caliber stuck on the way to work, no tools, what should I do? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Driver's side brake caliber stuck on the way to work, no tools, what should I do?

Labor Day Sale!Clayton Off Road - last day of the Labor Day special!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 06-21-2010, 11:05 AM   #1
sloan74
2013 JK Wrangler 

Driver's side brake caliber stuck on the way to work, no tools, what should I do?

On the way to work during lunch driver's side brake stuck. When I pulled in and stopped - smoke, smell, whole nine yards....

I do not have my tools.

Should I just risk it and limp it home later this afternoon? It's only 9 miles back to the house. No interstate thank goodness so no heavy braking.

Just put new rotors and pads on also.......

Hopefully I can still salvage those and just replace the caliber...

I now officially hate mud. Never again will I mess with deep mud. Never again....

Water and red clay mud has officially now took my clutch, starter, and now possibly this.....lol

sloan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2010, 11:12 AM   #2
sloan74
2013 JK Wrangler 

I thought I got all the mud out....went back outside and was looking at it - mud is still in there.

Rotor/pads look ok. I will limp it home and see if I can clean it real good before buying anything. Maybe I will get lucky and the caliber/pad is just compressed with dried mud/sand.
Unread 06-21-2010, 11:15 AM   #3
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If you drive it your calipper maybe the worst of your problems. I dont know how bad they are stuck but you generate a bunch of heat when you brake. Driving against that much friction if the calipers are stuck full on could give you more than heat it could give you flame. Get a bunch of water if you aere thinking about driving it home. Stop and quech it. If its stuck full on though I wouldnt risk it.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2010, 11:20 AM   #4
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I would take it easy on the way home and if it really starts to drag pull over and let it cool. I would do that a few times until you get to the house. I powered through my stuck caliper about 4 miles a year ago. Had it all replaced in an hour and a half.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2010, 11:21 AM   #5
michaelbarry
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Don't have any kind of jack and lug wrench? Anyone else you work with have one you could borrow for the evening? Do it in the parking lot after work..that's what i'd try to do instead of driving it home if it's locked.
michaelbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2010, 11:21 AM   #6
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
If you drive it your calipper maybe the worst of your problems. I dont know how bad they are stuck but you generate a bunch of heat when you brake. Driving against that much friction if the calipers are stuck full on could give you more than heat it could give you flame. Get a bunch of water if you aere thinking about driving it home. Stop and quech it. If its stuck full on though I wouldnt risk it.
Be careful not to crack anything if you throw cool water on it.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2010, 11:22 AM   #7
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

LOL that may be the smallest of his issues if that thing goes up in flames.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2010, 11:24 AM   #8
sloan74
2013 JK Wrangler 

Yeah left the high lift jack sitting in my garage....if I had that, my tire iron and a screw driver I could at least pry it off the rotor.

Autozone is 1.5 miles from work, but it's in the opposite direction....
Unread 06-21-2010, 11:30 AM   #9
michaelbarry
1995 YJ Wrangler 

No one can run by the house and get it for you? Ol lady at home to bring it? I'm sure most every co-worker at your place has the factory jack in their car. If it's not tall enough, Use a few wood blocks or something..you're not gonna be going real high with it. Lay your tire and wheel down under the Jeep with some scrap (insert favorite blocking material here) on top of it as a 'jack stand' in case the jack was to give way. That's just the way i'd go about it. I've had a lot of practice at improv repairs though. I ride/drive old junk.
Unread 06-21-2010, 11:33 AM   #10
sloan74
2013 JK Wrangler 

ole' lady is not an option....my last 4 wheel trip did too much damage.....she will flip if I call her up right now and tell her something else is wrong...

I am going to have to "hide" this one...
haha
Unread 06-21-2010, 11:35 AM   #11
sloan74
2013 JK Wrangler 

buddy at work has a 4x4 Ford Ranger. I will use his kit to jack it up this afternoon.
Unread 06-21-2010, 11:35 AM   #12
michaelbarry
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloan74 View Post
ole' lady is not an option....my last 4 wheel trip did too much damage.....she will flip if I call her up right now and tell her something else is wrong...

I am going to have to "hide" this one...
haha
Even more reason to do it in the parking lot after work. "Hunny, i'm gonna be working a little late this evening." And ya ain't even lying!
Unread 06-21-2010, 11:36 AM   #13
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Happened to me one day 15 miles from home but with BOTH calipers.

I just drove it home in 3rd/4th gear going 55mph She was a Smokin' at every stop but I had no choice. It made it home where I peeled the calipers off and bought new ones. (Make sure that the pistons in the new ones are phonelic(sp?)). DO NOT splash cold water on those rotors! It may cause them to crack if hot enough!

My rotors were fine, as were my new brake pads, just needed to replace the calipers is all. Oh, and MAKE SURE that the part store gives you a Left and a Right and not two of one or the other (There is a difference). I hear people complaining about that a lot on here.

Have fun and be safe!

P.S. I Hate Mud!

Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfan16 View Post
The 4banger only whines because it wants more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
3 Things to know about the forum: Always PB blaster, Always check the FAQ, Always do a search, and if none of that works, ask Mean Max.
YJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2010, 11:37 AM   #14
sloan74
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelbarry View Post
Even more reason to do it in the parking lot after work. "Hunny, i'm gonna be working a little late this evening." And ya ain't even lying!
LOL SO TRUE

Already told her I was meeting her and the kids at the neighborhood pool right after work.....

Both wheels? MAN....Yeah I def would not splash water. You could crack all kinds of stuff....

The pads and rotor looked fine. I might just go buy a new caliber for the heck of it. It's only 20 bucks. "baby you need anything at the "grocery" store".....

Just bad timing. JUST installed a new starter last night...hehe but hell, it's a jeep, this is what is suppose to happen.....and yeah man, last of the deep mud and water for me. It ain't worth it...it's like getting very drunk - the night of the party its awesome, but the next day it's hell....
Unread 06-21-2010, 11:38 AM   #15
michaelbarry
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloan74 View Post
LOL SO TRUE

Already told her I was meeting her and the kids at the neighborhood pool right after work.....
I think you'll need more luck on not getting in trouble over that than you will on getting the brakes fixed. Good luck!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.