Driver's Side Axle Seal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Driver's Side Axle Seal

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-02-2010, 07:38 AM   #1
xdgt03
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Driver's Side Axle Seal

I searched dozens of threads and I could not find the info I am looking for.

Can the driver's side axle seal on a dana 30 be changed without removing the carrier? I have to replace both the passenger side and driver's side after having changed my u-joints and now both are leaking. Typical.

I have the threaded rod/nut and washers system ready to go.

Also, I read a thread that recommended moving the threaded rod side to side between tightening the nut so the seal rocks back and forth as it seats. Is this a good idea?

Thanks

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
2.5L
31x10.5x15 BFG MT
xdgt03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2010, 07:42 AM   #2
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

No. Carrier comes out for that side.

If the seal is rocking then it's not going in straight. There is NO extra room for movement.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2010, 09:14 AM   #3
xdgt03
1994 YJ Wrangler 

That's what I thought too. Thanks
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
2.5L
31x10.5x15 BFG MT
Unread 06-02-2010, 10:04 AM   #4
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
No. Carrier comes out for that side.

If the seal is rocking then it's not going in straight. There is NO extra room for movement.
Agreed.

When I did both of mine a month or so ago, I used the perfect sized socket and a long 1/2" drive extension to tap it into place. No leaks that I know of yet.

Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfan16 View Post
The 4banger only whines because it wants more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
3 Things to know about the forum: Always PB blaster, Always check the FAQ, Always do a search, and if none of that works, ask Mean Max.
YJake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2010, 10:14 AM   #5
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Get at least one extra seal. You will almost certainly ruin one trying to get it in on the passenger side.

Since you will have the carrier out it would probably be easier to put in the pass side seal by passing some sort of bar all the way thru the axle tube from the drivers side. Position yourself to guide the business end and steer the seal into place while a helper taps on the other end. The threaded rod method works ok, but the real challenge to that is finding something that is exactly the right diamter and is strong enough to pull in the seal. Plus while doing it you can not actually see if it's going in straight.
Unread 06-02-2010, 11:58 AM   #6
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdgt03 View Post
That's what I thought too. Thanks
I was the one that recomended the tapping the threaded nut side to side. Not allot but just a little tap ( about a 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch or less). I found this out after ruining two seals that it helped keep the threaded bar and the seal to go in straight. By applying pressure evenly to the seal sides.

True there is no room but getting the seal started is the challenge. Once the seal is started it can only go straight

If you ruin a seal or two try it, it helped me.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2010, 02:34 PM   #7
fitbmxseries1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

i know i wrecked one trying to put it in using a threaded rod and nut and washer set up. it was easier to just pound it in with lots of extensions and a perfect sized socket.
fitbmxseries1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2010, 04:19 PM   #8
xdgt03
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys. Well I had to go to the hardware store to get another washer because the first one I got was exactly the same size as the inside diameter of the metal portion of the passenger side seal. The one the hardware store had was about 1/4" too big around. It also was a 1" diameter hole. So I took two other washers to reduce the size to the threaded rod i had and tack welded them together. Then I took the whole thing to the grinder to get the outside diameter the right size. In the end it worked perfectly using a block of wood with a hole drilled through it on the outside. It seemed to seat perfectly and does not leak. However, I'm not certain how you can determine if the seal is completely seated no matter what way you do it. I guess you know if it doesn't leak.

Thanks for all the replies.
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
2.5L
31x10.5x15 BFG MT
Unread 06-02-2010, 04:34 PM   #9
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

nice work. As I recall the seal seats about 1/4 inside the lip; you should be able to see it from inside the disco housing after it's in there.

more often than not those seals leak from dragging the axle over it after changing a ujoint or some other task.
Unread 06-02-2010, 05:09 PM   #10
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
nice work. As I recall the seal seats about 1/4 inside the lip; you should be able to see it from inside the disco housing after it's in there.

more often than not those seals leak from dragging the axle over it after changing a ujoint or some other task.

That is so true. I was carefull as hell pulling the axle and still had to go back in and replace the seals.

They just get old.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2010, 06:08 PM   #11
xdgt03
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, the lip is about 3/16" but between the flex in the washers (even though 3 were tack welded together) and the fact that the threaded rod did turn a bit even with 2 nuts on the washer side, I couldn't determine if I had done it enough. So I just turned it until I thought I might damage the seal.

BTW, I used a tie rod fork to remove the seal. It took me about 1 minute. I know some people have had some trouble removing these seals. The fork worked perfect. Plus they're cheap and good for removing tie rods too.
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
2.5L
31x10.5x15 BFG MT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.