Driver side motor mount - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Driver side motor mount

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 05-14-2013, 09:59 AM   #1
atldude
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Driver side motor mount

Been hearing a clunk occasionally when changing gears so started looking at some of the mount points of the engine and tranny...

So I was checking on the motor mounts yesterday and noticed that the driver side does have a good gap on top maybe about 4-5mm between the rubber and the metal "cap". So I got to thinking if it is normal. I checked on the passenger side and the rubber there is pretty snug inside the housing. Didn't know if the driver side is like that for a reason or if it needs replacing. Doesn't appear torn up or anything, just a gap is all..

Anyone have an idea about whether the stock mounts are supposed to have a gap between the top part of the rubber and the metal piece that goes over it?

Thanks in advance guys!!

atldude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 10:02 AM   #2
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

There should be no gap.
Unread 05-14-2013, 10:15 AM   #3
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogleparsons View Post
There should be no gap.
X2. A loose motor mount not only makes clunking sounds when stepping on the gas, but it also causes undue stresses onto your radiator hoses due to the motor flexing around in the mount. This can also cause your four wheel drive to disengage when climbing or mudding. It's easy to fix, just get yourself a block of wood on a floor jack, loosen up the nuts on the mount, and lift up on the oil pan until you can clear the bolts on the mount, then pull out the motor to mount through bolt. Reverse procedure when you have the new mount in place.

I am by no means a professional. I know just enough to get myself into trouble.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/i...t-case-989208/
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 11:00 AM   #4
atldude
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys!

This is what it looks like. Was able to run a 5mm metal rod through the top. The passenger looks good. Guess its time to replace it.

Unread 05-14-2013, 11:56 AM   #5
jeep63

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Time to call Brown Dog!
jeep63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 12:12 PM   #6
atldude
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Lol sure did. Got the crown kit with both sides and the tranny mount. The pass side looks like a ***** to get to but i am sure one day it will be time for that also but if i am not lazy i might take care of it too and have a piece of mind.

The tranny mont looked a little loose to me also after pushing up on the transfer case so i'll take care of that also while i am at it.
Unread 05-14-2013, 02:58 PM   #7
Idaho_Chad

I replaced my mounts with brown dogs and they cured all of my tranny problems. But my stock mounts looked much worse than yours.

I found a trick that really helped me get the bolt through the engine mount. I lifted the engine and was able to start putting the new bolt in but it would hit the bracket on the other side. So I took the old bolt and put it in the other side to get everything lined up. I then hammered in the new bolt and it pushed the old bolt out. Easy as pie.

^ it's probably much easier to understand with a picture, but hopefully that makes sense.
Idaho_Chad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 03:05 PM   #8
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by atldude View Post
Lol sure did. Got the crown kit with both sides and the tranny mount. The pass side looks like a ***** to get to but i am sure one day it will be time for that also but if i am not lazy i might take care of it too and have a piece of mind.

The tranny mont looked a little loose to me also after pushing up on the transfer case so i'll take care of that also while i am at it.
I just replaced all the mounts on my 95 with 2.5L. I did a 1" Daystar Body Lift and Brown Dog 1" MML. And Crown Transmission Mount.

The transmission mount was only difficult because one of the bolt holes in the transmission was stripped. The bolt was just sitting on top of the skid plate Required a helicoil repair.

The driver's side is easy, easy, easy.

The passenger side takes alot of patience. To remove the motor mount bolt, you either have to remove the bracket from the engine or remove the alternator. I removed the bracket - 2 studs and 2 bolts. 3 of the 4 are a PITA. Had to do everything from under the Jeep.

The only other thing to note is that you will re-use the carriage assembly under the passenger side motor mount. It's basically a little adapter/spacer block.

The Brown Dog Poly mounts are pretty harsh - I'd recommend the softer rubber ones if you go that direction. I bought and installed the poly, and then ordered the rubber bushings. I have to get back down there and swap out the passenger side again
Unread 05-14-2013, 03:19 PM   #9
atldude
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks a lot for the guidance guys!

I am sure it will all make more sense when i get under it and start changing it out. I think i will stay away from the passenger side for now. One sunny day when i am super bored i will tackle that project

As far as the tranny mount - it felt strange pushing up on the tc. I was able to move it up, yet my mount bolts (plate bolts) are nice and snug. So i am not sure where the slack is coming from. I would doubt that it is supposed to have this much play. Might have something stripped or the rubber has been pressed in from just 20 years of abuse ..or maybe it was the slack from the gap in the motor mount but i am not that damn strong lol

I'll see when i get things apart i guess. Weird about the tranny cause i just changed that stud and thought everything was fairly snug but maybe i missed something..
Unread 05-14-2013, 03:35 PM   #10
gunshw301
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanF

I just replaced all the mounts on my 95 with 2.5L. I did a 1" Daystar Body Lift and Brown Dog 1" MML. And Crown Transmission Mount.

The transmission mount was only difficult because one of the bolt holes in the transmission was stripped. The bolt was just sitting on top of the skid plate Required a helicoil repair.

The driver's side is easy, easy, easy.

The passenger side takes alot of patience. To remove the motor mount bolt, you either have to remove the bracket from the engine or remove the alternator. I removed the bracket - 2 studs and 2 bolts. 3 of the 4 are a PITA. Had to do everything from under the Jeep.

The only other thing to note is that you will re-use the carriage assembly under the passenger side motor mount. It's basically a little adapter/spacer block.

The Brown Dog Poly mounts are pretty harsh - I'd recommend the softer rubber ones if you go that direction. I bought and installed the poly, and then ordered the rubber bushings. I have to get back down there and swap out the passenger side again
I did the opposite and took the alternator off as taking the bracket off was sucking. Once I got the passenger mount off I found the plate/spacer under it to be shot. I replaced it with a brown dog as well. Went with the rubber mounts, but I think I have them a little tight as I have some vibes at idle. I will put a few more miles on them first as I am sure the rubber will seat a bit.
F/S Dana 35, 4:10, open make an offer, local pick up only, will not ship. 3-8-13

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-94-b-g-yj-1034888/"]My 1994 yj build page[/URL]
gunshw301 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2013, 06:18 AM   #11
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunshw301 View Post
I did the opposite and took the alternator off as taking the bracket off was sucking. Once I got the passenger mount off I found the plate/spacer under it to be shot. I replaced it with a brown dog as well. Went with the rubber mounts, but I think I have them a little tight as I have some vibes at idle. I will put a few more miles on them first as I am sure the rubber will seat a bit.
I had the Brown Dog rubber and poly mounts side by side, and I honestly couldn't tell much difference in their hardness. I think the transmitted vibrations got a little better when I replaced the driver side bushings, but it definitely wasn't as good as stock. (as I mentioned before, I still need to swap out the passenger side bushings)

In hindsight, a 1" spacer with the stock mounts probably would have been better for me. I'm not a hard core wheeler, so the stock mounts probably would have survived my weekend trips.
Unread 05-15-2013, 07:14 AM   #12
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

When I installed my Brown Dog mounts I got a lot of vibes so I called Brown Dog and got some good info. Since I installed and torqued each one as I went I probably did this wrong. I went back loosened everything up to include the tranny and with jack under motor reset everything and when all was finished and setting correctly I went back and torqued all the mounts. Vibes disappeared. Might be the trick after all are installed.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2013, 06:49 PM   #13
atldude
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yikes!

Unread 05-17-2013, 06:57 PM   #14
atldude
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Didn't find the specs on the forum so here's the fsm values:

The bracket bolt and nut to 38ft/lbs
The through bolt to 51ft/lbs.

All done with this one..debating if i should start the tranny mount or just do it in the am ..gotten lazy lately
Unread 05-18-2013, 09:55 AM   #15
atldude
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Crap! Just changed the tranny mount and went for a test drive. I can feel more vibration. I ended up going with the stock mounts so i definitely didn't expect that. I think i will have to loosen things up again might as well get the passenger side motor mount also. I think i can get to it ok .. I think

I found this: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/m...stion-1013737/

I didn't loosen both mounts just one and also didn't loosen the tranny mount. Just undid the one mount is all. I guess that's why?

Anyway gonna let the engine cool off a bit and get back under later. And i thought i was all done lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.