Driver side door gremlin - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Driver side door gremlin

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 04-20-2010, 01:54 PM   #1
malone_703
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Driver side door gremlin

Hey all,

I've fixed the actuating rod in my 95 YJ on the driver side several times. The interior handle fails to open the door from the inside. I've never had a problem until now. This latest fix I used an actuating rod from a wreckers that appears to be bent to clear the window mechanism. This latest fix has introduced a metal on glass scraping noise as I roll down the window. Also as the window rolls down the actuating rod tries to push the interior handle out of its mount. Do I need to bend the rod a particular way or does the window mechanism need work? Thanks in advance for any advice.

malone_703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2010, 04:08 PM   #2
southbound
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by malone_703 View Post
Hey all,

I've fixed the actuating rod in my 95 YJ on the driver side several times. The interior handle fails to open the door from the inside. I've never had a problem until now. This latest fix I used an actuating rod from a wreckers that appears to be bent to clear the window mechanism. This latest fix has introduced a metal on glass scraping noise as I roll down the window. Also as the window rolls down the actuating rod tries to push the interior handle out of its mount. Do I need to bend the rod a particular way or does the window mechanism need work? Thanks in advance for any advice.

I had the same problem with my door. If your window rolls up and down without the rod in place, then it's just a actuating rod bent out of whack. I had to bend the rod slightly, then snap it back into the door. I would then check the handles (both inside and out) and then roll the window up to ensure there was no binding. If it did bind, I made a mental note of the contact area by looking down inside the door to see which area of the rod was hitting against the window regulator.

It took around three tries to get it right, but once I bent the rod the right way it worked flawlessly. I would also recommend hitting all the inner door mechanics with plenty of WD40 to make sure everything works smoothly. Pay special attention to the rod clips that hold the rod in the door handle. Put some WD40 or grease on them to keep them well lubricated. I broke a few of them over the course of a year. I lubed them up and haven't had any issues since.

I hope this helps ,
Unread 04-20-2010, 08:10 PM   #3
malone_703
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Even with the actuating rod out of the door it still makes a scraping noise. I've never had this problem before but I think it's weird how rolling down the window tries to pull the interior handle out. All of the mechanism for rolling the window is on the opposite side of the scratching. I'll play with it tomorrow once I figure out if the battery's dead or if it's something else (I know the battery is unrelated, but my wife tried to drive it earlier and it wouldn't start. .)
Unread 04-22-2010, 07:15 AM   #4
malone_703
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Fixed it. I stripped the door, cleaned the window mechanism and sprayed it with white grease. Once it was all re-assembled it works fine now, my window is still scratched up though.

Tags
door , scraping , window

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.