Driver seat repair help needed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Driver seat repair help needed

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-25-2011, 10:01 PM   #1
1992jeepsahara

Driver seat repair help needed

I have a 1992 sahara jeep wrangler that has a broken driver seat mechanism. The seat slips into a partially reclined state and will not "catch" in any other position. Based on phone inquiries, the "jeep" shops in my area have all told me to buy a new seat. I want to stay true to this jeep and keep original seats but fix the recline issue. Any thoughts?

1992jeepsahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 05:34 PM   #2
4to1YJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Had the same problem with my 94 YJ... I sprayed a little PB Blaster in the mechanism and worked it back and forth. It finally latched. But I will say that it will still mess up if I move it. I am able to get it to latch again without spray. Some times it just does it on it's own and some times I have to help it by pushing down on the lever. If it needs a new seat maybe a "you pull it" place would help you keep it "original" enough. Hope this helps.
4to1YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 05:36 PM   #3
4to1YJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Oh also some times moving the back of the seat with the latch on the back of the seat helps too.
4to1YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 06:04 PM   #4
bill8bud

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1992jeepsahara View Post
I want to stay true to this jeep and keep original seats but fix the recline issue. Any thoughts?
To be honest. Run out to a local pick and pull junkyard on a 1/2 weekend and get to seats from a Cavilier for 40 bucks. Put them in so you pull your stockers fix the issue.

I will bet you will never look back once you have the replacement seats in. I was in the same boat I wanted to get mine fixed also. Once I changed seats my back and rear felt so much better I will never go back to the stockers.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/r...u-used-490426/
bill8bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2011, 06:58 AM   #5
mfalik
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1992jeepsahara View Post
I have a 1992 sahara jeep wrangler that has a broken driver seat mechanism. The seat slips into a partially reclined state and will not "catch" in any other position. Based on phone inquiries, the "jeep" shops in my area have all told me to buy a new seat. I want to stay true to this jeep and keep original seats but fix the recline issue. Any thoughts?
If you want to stay true to the factory Sahara seats, I would try to find some used factory seats (Ebay or Craigslist or www.car-parts.com ). If the seat mechanism is in good shape, but the seat covering is in bad shape, have it re-upholstered by an automotive interior repair shop. I had my Sahara seats re-upholstered for $300 (per seat).
2007 Mazda CX-7 (the new commuter car)
2005 Mitsubishi Lancer (Rear Ended - TOTALED)
1998 VW Beetle (SOLD)
1988 Jeep Cherokee Limited - (SOLD)
mfalik is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.