Driveline vibration at low speeds. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Driveline vibration at low speeds.

Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-25-2010, 10:52 AM   #1
-Deepskyy-
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Driveline vibration at low speeds.

Yes I know, yet another vibration thread, but I searched and searched.
I finally got rid of the big issues with the pinion angles thanks to my t-case drop, but now I have a vibration from around 25 to 40 mph. After that it goes away for the most part. I've checked the U joints, but I will give them another look tonight or tomorrow night. I have noticed that my motor mounts could be shot, so I am wondering if that could be the problem. Its bad enough that the strap bolts for the u joint at the rear axle will work their way loose and I have to keep tightening them down about once a month or so.

Anyone else dealt with this?

-Lt. General Charles, Earl Cornwallis after the battle of Guilford Courthouse NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outatime05 View Post
Females are a dime-a-dozen. Jeeps are forever. Easy choice. Be indispensible or be gone. :wave:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdavetj View Post
We are Jeepforum. We can do the unthinkable. We are Jeep strong. And head stubborn. We are. JEEPFORUM.
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Red Jeep #543
-Deepskyy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2010, 11:51 AM   #2
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like you have different things going on there with possibilities as to why the vibes are happening. From what I understand it is difficult to check the u-joints without taking the u-joints off the shaft itself, and inspecting each one individually. It may seem ok while crawling under your jeep and turning the shaft, etc. If you have bad motor mounts, or transmission mount, of course that is not going to work in your favor either, but I think that would be more of a shifting or a clunking. 25-40 mph vibes..hmm, well, something is obviously out of balance. Things that can cause it: Something as simple as a bad tire, unbalanced tire, or u-joints, or even in one case I knew of was a bent axle shaft in the axle housing. If you have been messing with your drive-line angles, it might just be a u-joint problem though.
Unread 05-25-2010, 12:42 PM   #3
Louie4
Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

If your motor mounts are sagging or worn out they will lower the motor and in turn slightly raise the t-case output. I would also check the tranny bushing. Maybe take a pic of your rear driveline unless you're certain it's not the problem.

Also check to see if your front driveshaft will free spin just to eliminate it. I've had my front axle stay locked in causing the front to spin and had a little vibration there. Now that I have a front locker it spins all the time so I had it balanced.

Other than that do as said above with the tires, they might need balancing.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2010, 03:04 PM   #4
-Deepskyy-
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Tires are a possibility, due to a few recent mud runs so they could be packed up and way out of balance. I'll start there, but I'll aslo take a snapshot of the driveline and post it up.
-Lt. General Charles, Earl Cornwallis after the battle of Guilford Courthouse NC
Quote:
Females are a dime-a-dozen. Jeeps are forever. Easy choice. Be indispensible or be gone. :wave:
Quote:
We are Jeepforum. We can do the unthinkable. We are Jeep strong. And head stubborn. We are. JEEPFORUM.
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Red Jeep #543
Unread 06-09-2010, 07:23 PM   #5
-Deepskyy-
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Bamp! An interesting discovery. The more weight in the jeep, the worse the vibration. If I am in her alone, it is barely noticeable. If my gf and I are together it gets worse. A few weekends ago, I had 4 people in the Jeep and it really shook. Any ideas? Nothing seems to be negatively impacted, other than the fact that I have to remember to tighten the u-joint strap bolts about once a month.
Quote:
Quote:
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Red Jeep #543

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.