Driveline vibration - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Driveline vibration

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-14-2010, 02:25 PM   #1
jeepdog5
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Driveline vibration

Last night I picked up a real nasty driveline vibe and can't quite pinpoint where it's coming from. I've had a slip yoke elim kit in for a while. All ujoints are still intact. My rear axle is shimmed correctly. CV joint on the rear driveshaft is still in good order. Front driveshaft doesn't appear to have anything wrong either. About a month ago my throwout bearing began to whine when I would push the clutch in. As of last night when I'm in gear there's a distinct click/clunking noise when I'm in motion, both drive and reverse. When I removed the rear driveshaft I noticed that the output yoke on the sye has a little slide play on the output shaft, maybe 2mm or so. When i coast in neutral the noise/vibe is sporadic. Any input would be great guys. Thanks.

jeepdog5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2010, 02:30 PM   #2
jeepdog5
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Btw specs on my jeep:
straight6
ax15
231 w/ teraflex super short sye kit
stock axles with 3.73s
34" LTBs

bad driverside hub and a busted driver side axle ujoint. The hub has been bad for about 5 months now and the axleshaft ujoint blew out about a month ago. The noise and vibe do not seem to be coming from the front axle..
Unread 04-14-2010, 03:17 PM   #3
Tobynt89
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Does it only happen when you're in gear and gasing or driving whenever where ever?

Mine used to vib pretty bad when I'd be in 3rd gear and give it gas, and thats a sign of my driveshaft. And what ya know, Ujoint had a hole blown in the cap.

Move your driveshafts yolk in and out every way and see if they have slack in the joints. If they do, then your Ujoints are going out.
Tobynt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2010, 12:10 AM   #4
jeepdog5
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well, I pulled the rear driveshaft the other day and discovered that the CV join itself had grenaded (even before the ujoints blew, weird). Had a driveshaft shop fix the shaft and build another has a spare. I guess my driveline angles need to be adjusted. My rear shims aren't enough, so I've ordered some new perches to swap in and adjust my pinion angle. I'm also getting new shackles all around to lower my lift a little, my current ones are 1.25" lift.

Luckily the culprit was nothing severe. Although, for the week or so that i was rear driveshaftless, driving around in 4Hi tweaked the already-beaten-to-death-clutch. Fun stuff.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.