Drive shaft question. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Drive shaft question.

Rugged Ridge Bumpers, Winches, Performance from CCOR!GenRight Offroad at CCOR! 706-207-4140Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-road

Unread 08-18-2011, 07:24 AM   #1
UZI4U
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Drive shaft question.

I'm trying to avoid doing a slip yoke eliminator on my transfer case out of laziness. I have a '93 with a ~2-3" shackle lift and the slip yoke is out of the transfer case about 0.75". Would I have any problems with extending the driveshaft to put the yoke where it needs to be? The only other plans I have are a 1" body lift and that won't affect this. Thanks!

UZI4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 07:41 AM   #2
Jax89Jeeper
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You would put just as much, if not more time and effort into lengthening the driveshaft as you would installing an SYE. The easiest thing to do, would be a t- case drop. On a side note, 2-3" lift shackles are a bad idea. That would have your shackles at 8-10" long which will hang up on everything offroad and will over stress your springs.... They'll eventually invert the arch. IMO, Save up some cash and get a real suspension lift and go with an SYE.
Jax89Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 07:45 AM   #3
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax89Jeeper View Post
You would put just as much, if not more time and effort into lengthening the driveshaft as you would installing an SYE. The easiest thing to do, would be a t- case drop. On a side note, 2-3" lift shackles are a bad idea. That would have your shackles at 8-10" long which will hang up on everything offroad and will over stress your springs.... They'll eventually invert the arch. IMO, Save up some cash and get a real suspension lift and go with an SYE.
This.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 07:48 AM   #4
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax89Jeeper View Post
Agreed. ^^^

On the other hand, I ran 4.5" of lift with the stock driveshaft and a transfer case drop, so your application will work without much tweaking.
Unread 08-18-2011, 08:15 AM   #5
No-Doors
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Hey guys, if I am ready his post correctly; is he saying that his yoke slipped out an additional .75 inches from the stock position? If so, then he probably doesn't need to do anything except get rid of those long a$$ shackles and do a suspension lift.

Just doesn't seem like 2-3" of lift would pull the yoke completely out. Or maybe I am just off my rocker more than usual today.

"Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong" (Paul :-̃)
No-Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 10:59 AM   #6
Awesome
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by No-Doors View Post
Hey guys, if I am ready his post correctly; is he saying that his yoke slipped out an additional .75 inches from the stock position? If so, then he probably doesn't need to do anything except get rid of those long a$$ shackles and do a suspension lift.

Just doesn't seem like 2-3" of lift would pull the yoke completely out. Or maybe I am just off my rocker more than usual today.
4" of lift won't pull your slip yoke out unless you have a REALLY flexy rear end. Most YJ's don't.
”This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!” ~Adolph Hitler, 1935, on The Weapons Act of Nazi Germany
Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 11:22 AM   #7
No-Doors
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
4" of lift won't pull your slip yoke out unless you have a REALLY flexy rear end. Most YJ's don't.
Well, maybe I am not off my rocker after-all.

"Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong" (Paul :-̃)
No-Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 11:53 AM   #8
kahanabob
1992 YJ Wrangler 

when i did a 3" lift on my 92 after shims and TC drop my driveshaft actually became pinched between the rear end and TC due to i aligned it too straight. had to angle the rear end down slightly and replace the motor mounts thats were old and the engine was sitting back towards the firewall about a 1/2 inch.
kahanabob is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 05:19 PM   #9
UZI4U
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the replies. I just bought this and the whole lifting thing is new to me. It already has the shackles and I'm wanting to leave it as is. The yoke is out of the TC about 0.75" as it is right now and, from what I've read, it can cause some vibration in the DL because of this. Funds are kind of tight now and I want to make sure nothing gets hosed running it like this. It would be faster and easier to have the DL lengthened to get the yoke back where it belongs.

I know, I should do it right, but it's not a priority at the moment.
Unread 08-18-2011, 05:28 PM   #10
scubamc
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UZI4U View Post
Do it right once and avoid having to spend your money twice.
scubamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 06:17 PM   #11
RockWoRM
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UZI4U View Post
Thanks for the replies. I just bought this and the whole lifting thing is new to me. It already has the shackles and I'm wanting to leave it as is. The yoke is out of the TC about 0.75" as it is right now and, from what I've read, it can cause some vibration in the DL because of this. Funds are kind of tight now and I want to make sure nothing gets hosed running it like this. It would be faster and easier to have the DL lengthened to get the yoke back where it belongs.

I would say the real question is... "do you have vibes right now?" If not, then unless you're out doing crazy log jumps and such, or getting into extreme flex situations, then the chances of the yoke poping out is small. ALL slip yokes will move somewhat when a lift is done, but you should have enough to be ok, unless in case of the above. If you're concerned... do the TC drop for now. Save your $$ and get an HD SYE. It is one of the better mods you can do for a YJ. Money well spent!

WRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 06:36 PM   #12
UZI4U
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Alright, dangit! I guess I'll convert the gun funds into Jeep funds. Thanks again, fellas!
Unread 08-19-2011, 08:39 AM   #13
SpikesHD
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Your slipyoke can easily be out of the transfer case 1". No issue if you don't have vibes.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.