drive shaft problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > drive shaft problem

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-09-2013, 10:29 PM   #1
fiandjos95
1992 YJ Wrangler 

drive shaft problem

It first started last weekend when i was driving from chicago to ftwayne about a 3 hour drive, when i accellerate, the car would rumble sometimes,its a 92 4.0 with a NP231 transfer case and a dana 35 rear end, no lift. today driveing, the pinion yoke cracked while i was doing abount 40, the driveshft broke off the axle, it cacked the rear housing extension off the transfer case too, i had to leave it in a parking lot over night, if i get it to my house, would it be an easy fix? also, what is needed to fix this, i know ill need new u joints a housing, but is there any berring that go into that transfercase housing and should i just replace the wole yoke since the bolds snapped and id have to drill them out? any help would be great
thanks
-Joe

fiandjos95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 08:10 AM   #2
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

Joe you need to look at everything under your Jeep carefully.

When you lose a DS it can tear alot of stuff up under there.

You should be able to slide the new tail cone on without issue.

Check that yoke out carefully, if the little tabs on the side that hold the U joint caps in are gone its trash.

There must have been a reason the yoke would crack... check your drive line angles.
Unread 02-11-2013, 02:40 PM   #3
fiandjos95
1992 YJ Wrangler 

well ive been lookin at it more in depth, i think the reasion it cracked was a bad u joint, the joint was pretty much frozen so its not getting any flexability, The yoke looks okay i dont see any cracks on it. The muffler is pretty bad. I think i will fix it, will i have to get the driveshaft reballanced after?
fiandjos95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.