Drive shaft falling out and other concerns - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 07-20-2004, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
sbcvulcan

Drive shaft falling out and other concerns

Just purchased a 93 with 159K. Looking over records for repairs and see that at one time drive shaft fell out. Is this an unusual event? What would cause this?

Looks like U joints have also been replaced a few times, is this common for even regular driving wear and tear? What happens to the transfer case that makes this a Jeep repair issue and is it costly to repair?

I know lots of questions, but you all have lots of answers, yes?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-20-2004, 10:28 AM
CanukYJ

Does it have any lift? Jeeps 'driveshafts' falling out is DEFINITELY not a common thing UNLESS they prev owner put a good sized lift (3.5" or more) and did not put a slip yoke eliminator kit on (search the forum for "SYE*"). Without an SYE kit the driveshaft will over-extend the yoke and if you flex the rear end to it's limit it will actually pull the driveshaft right out of the transfer case. hth

My jeep has only ever killed 3 things, a cat, a deer, and my wallet. What's the problem officer?

1992 Red YJ. Lifted, locked, and loaded with beer (Disclaimer: This doesn't mean said driver endorses drinking and driving, please enjoy alcohol responsibly and do not operate any vehicle of any kind, thank you....)

Thanks to the price of gas here ($4.25 a gal) I just bought a mountain bike, 0" of lift, 0" of travel, MT's, locked rear axle, oh yeah, it's the sh#$.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-20-2004, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
sbcvulcan

It does not have a lift, it looks to be mostly stock. I am unfortunately not aware of how and where the vehicle was previously driven so I am viewing the repair receipts to see if the Jeep has any repeat or alarming issues that I am hoping are resolved. I do hear it is inexpensive to fix a Jeep so if anything is wrong....

Thanks for reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanukYJ
Does it have any lift? Jeeps 'driveshafts' falling out is DEFINITELY not a common thing UNLESS they prev owner put a good sized lift (3.5" or more) and did not put a slip yoke eliminator kit on (search the forum for "SYE*"). Without an SYE kit the driveshaft will over-extend the yoke and if you flex the rear end to it's limit it will actually pull the driveshaft right out of the transfer case. hth

post #4 of 9 Old 07-20-2004, 10:55 AM
MugZy_YJ_94
ka-mai

2004 KJ Liberty 

replacing the u-joints is not expancive. here they run at 18 euros a piece with a grease nipple. probably a lot cheaper in the US.
the driveshaft falling out is defenatly not a know jeep problem. like canuk sad, running over 3.5 suspension lift may cause this, but only at full artilulation. so my geuss is that, eve, with lift, with the rear traction bar in place, this cannot happen. athere is however a more common drivline problen when lifts are installed: driveline vibrations deu to exessive drivshaft angles. both problems realy only have on good solution: the slip yoke eliminator. if you cant make out if your jeep has lift or not. see wath tire size in on it, or post a pic. i'm sure some can make a good estemate of life by seeing a pic.

good luck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Now in the soccer mum class. Missing the YJ, but the KJ isn't bad...for now.
black jeepclub #35
post #5 of 9 Old 07-20-2004, 10:59 AM
CanukYJ

Jeeps are really easy to fix, well yes and no. Jeeps are very easy to fix as long as you can take the time to learn, they are MUCH easier to fix than most cars\vans and other trucks but you have to buy a factory service manual and take some time to learn. Of course big things (like tranny rebuilds) are still hard(er). Since it had no lift but the driveshaft 'came out' I would put my money on a ujoint that went bad, blew out and the driveshaft of course dropped when that happened. This is NOT a regular occurance and sounds (if that is the case) more like neglect, a ujoint will make a lot of racket, clunking, and squeeling (normally) before it blows up so he may just have no known what it was until it was too late. Jeeps are addictive, although they can be frustrating, they are a lot of fun in the end, prepare to learn a lot more than you anticipate hehe.

My jeep has only ever killed 3 things, a cat, a deer, and my wallet. What's the problem officer?

1992 Red YJ. Lifted, locked, and loaded with beer (Disclaimer: This doesn't mean said driver endorses drinking and driving, please enjoy alcohol responsibly and do not operate any vehicle of any kind, thank you....)

Thanks to the price of gas here ($4.25 a gal) I just bought a mountain bike, 0" of lift, 0" of travel, MT's, locked rear axle, oh yeah, it's the sh#$.

Last edited by CanukYJ; 07-20-2004 at 11:13 AM.
post #6 of 9 Old 07-20-2004, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
sbcvulcan

service manual

[I am definetly into learning to do it yourself as it looks easy to get in and under the jeep. My only struggle will be rusted on pieces I can;t get off. Seems as though there are all sorts of Serveice manual offers out there, what would be the best purchase with best illustrations?
post #7 of 9 Old 07-20-2004, 11:15 AM
CanukYJ

Settle for nothing less than a FSM or factory service manual, get the one for YOUR YEAR of jeep. Search ebay or call your local dlr, they are around, and although they are a bit pricey they are the ENTIRE schematical\procedure\everything down the lug nuts break down of your jeep. I bought a chiltons manual and the thing barely told you how much oil to put in, I've got my FSM and it is the jeep BIBLE. They are worth more than their weight in gold. Awesome that you want to learn about jeeps, it saves a lot of money AND you can say you did the work yourself. Best part is half the time you don't even have to jack the thing up hehe.

post #8 of 9 Old 07-20-2004, 12:05 PM
YJeepYnot

Broken U-joint today

Well I broke the u-joint in mine today. Had a 3.5" BDS lift installed less than 50 miles ago, with the t-case drop installed also. Had some vibes, thought it was normal, but this morning on the highway the driveshaft broke loose from the rear diff. Since it was the u-joint and not the shaft "falling out" would you recommend and SYE, with CV driveshaft, or just repair the u-joint.
post #9 of 9 Old 07-20-2004, 01:47 PM
gigihurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJeepYnot
Well I broke the u-joint in mine today. Had a 3.5" BDS lift installed less than 50 miles ago, with the t-case drop installed also. Had some vibes, thought it was normal, but this morning on the highway the driveshaft broke loose from the rear diff. Since it was the u-joint and not the shaft "falling out" would you recommend and SYE, with CV driveshaft, or just repair the u-joint.
The first thing I would try is using angle shims under the spring perches. It probably doesnt need much to stop the vibration and adverse wear on the ujoint. Its also a hell of alot cheaper than a SYE.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.