Drive shaft blew up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Drive shaft blew up

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 01-26-2013, 11:53 AM   #1
jaycal3
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Drive shaft blew up

So I'm roadside at the moment and its freezing! My drive shaft blew upbeat the xfer case. Muffler is destroyed as well due to the drive shaft carnage... If I remove the shaft, I should be able to drive safely in 4wheel drive right?

Thanks in advance

KCCO
jaycal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2013, 12:11 PM   #2
YJ4LIFE
1989 YJ Wrangler 

you won't have fluid in your transfer case. do you have AAA? I'd still move it if it was an emergency but if can wait you should be towed.
Unread 01-26-2013, 12:23 PM   #3
Jeepsr4me

Yes you can drive in 4x4,. If you got a bottle or can or anything you can tape over the hole where the drive shaft use to be, then that would be good. IF not its ok to drive for a short time to get home. Fluid will come out of the case....
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2013, 01:28 PM   #4
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

This got me home...
I just put it in 4wd and did this with a water bottle and some duct(gaffer) tape and drove.
jeepster93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2013, 06:57 PM   #5
LilViper95
Web Wheeler

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Jeepster, whats going on with your pinion angle?

My Attempt at a Wrangler YJ Unlimited

No Stretch TJ Build For The Wife
LilViper95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2013, 10:01 PM   #6
moonpie312
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilViper95 View Post
My thoughts exactly, don't see how that could work with any type of shaft setup.
moonpie312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2013, 10:22 PM   #7
jaycal3
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well I got a tow from AAA and its sitting in my garage. I will remove the carnage tomorrow as well as the muffler which got absolutely destroyed as well. Tom Woods shafts worth it? Any other suggestions? I had a DynoMax muffler and think it was good... No complaints anyway.

KCCO
Unread 01-26-2013, 11:13 PM   #8
moonpie312
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycal3 View Post
Well I got a tow from AAA and its sitting in my garage. I will remove the carnage tomorrow as well as the muffler which got absolutely destroyed as well. Tom Woods shafts worth it? Any other suggestions? I had a DynoMax muffler and think it was good... No complaints anyway.
I lost a shaft in mine twice before I did my SYE, I know what you mean when it comes to tearing everything up. the second time it actually broke the tail housing off the transfer case.
I had a local driveshaft shop build my CV shaft from scratch, every single piece new, heavy wall tube, and all components made in America. Cost me 360 bucks and well worth it. I guarantee it's as good as any, and I had it in only one days wait.
moonpie312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 07:50 AM   #9
jerresredyj

1989 YJ Wrangler 

I went the Tom Woods route. It was $279 shipped, only $25 more than getting a used xj shaft rebuilt and shortened.
jerresredyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 08:18 AM   #10
jdubsjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Pay attention to what a couple of guys questioned you about! Things don't just blow up, your pinion angle on the rear end is pointed to the moon. You can put 3 Woody's d.s. and you will have the same end result. There is a certain geometry that has to be adhered to in order for the drivetrain to turn without bind or vibration. Look on Tom Wood's website and you will see what is necessary. Don't get a $300.00 driveshaft now if you plan on future modifications that would include lift kits and / or SYE, because it may not fit properly.
jdubsjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 10:17 AM   #11
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Looks like you have a 8.8 without setting the pinion angle properly. The next drive shaft that breaks may cause a wreck.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 11:06 AM   #12
NHfireYJ
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubsjeep View Post
Pay attention to what a couple of guys questioned you about! Things don't just blow up, your pinion angle on the rear end is pointed to the moon. You can put 3 Woody's d.s. and you will have the same end result. There is a certain geometry that has to be adhered to in order for the drivetrain to turn without bind or vibration. Look on Tom Wood's website and you will see what is necessary. Don't get a $300.00 driveshaft now if you plan on future modifications that would include lift kits and / or SYE, because it may not fit properly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasinbuy View Post
Looks like you have a 8.8 without setting the pinion angle properly. The next drive shaft that breaks may cause a wreck.
The OP and the pic are two different people.... pic has nothing to do with the OP's issue...

To the OP. Yes Tom Woods are worth it.. Great customer service, too! But consider you'r needs, build etc and maybe a SYE before investing in a new shaft.
BETTY...94 SE, Golen Stroker 4.6, RE 4" lift, 1" booms rear, 1/2" booms front, 1" BL, 35 12.5 15 GY MTR's Kevlar on 15 x 8, AA SYE w/ Woods shaft, D30 Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD, 4.10, Smittybilt front and rear bumpers, Wildbuilt rock sliders, Cutom tire carrier w/ Jerry can, Hi-Lift, Smitybilt 8000lb winch, Ammo can consol, VHF & CB radio, Herculined, Neoprene seat covers, Hard /soft/ bikini tops.

HUMMER INTAKE. Click here.. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/

FEBRUARY 2013 YJOTM
NHfireYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 11:24 AM   #13
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilViper95 View Post
Yeah...now we see why I blew my drive shaft.
I fell/slid off a large shelf and hit my flange square on with a boulder and up came the pinion and snapped the drive shaft. Broke the welds that were holding the spring perches and the whole diff rotated. That was an...interesting day. Drove all the home(150 mountainous miles) with that water bottle holding the transfer case juice in.(have sense got an sye and welded the snot out of the spring perches)
For a drive shaft: I went to a local shop and had a truly custom fabbed up, made with 1350 u joints, and a 4 inch slip joint.
Kind of worked out in the long run, as I would have needed to break the welds to re set the pinoin to the sye.

(You can see where the boulder smacked the flange, right at the drive shaft ear, the broken one)

Shiny, new...STRONG.
jeepster93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 11:58 AM   #14
jaycal3
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHfireYJ View Post
The OP and the pic are two different people.... pic has nothing to do with the OP's issue...

To the OP. Yes Tom Woods are worth it.. Great customer service, too! But consider you'r needs, build etc and maybe a SYE before investing in a new shaft.
Thank you for realizing this... I hadn't posted a pic so I was wondering how people were saying my pinion angle was to the moon! I will review the angle and post a few pics later when I crawl under her to remove the carnage. I dont think its all that bad though.

KCCO
Unread 01-27-2013, 03:20 PM   #15
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHfireYJ View Post

Son of a gun? You are right. My mistake.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.