drive line angles - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > drive line angles

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipUSA Made JK Rear Axles!!! Revolution Gear and Axle

Unread 01-23-2013, 06:37 PM   #31
kjg26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The way I'm thinking about it....if the goal is to have the yokes b parallel ill have to remove the shim as well as drop the tc. I got the bolts loose and bought some longer bolts so ill start by lowering and checking angles. Ill post back. Which angles should I post? Tc, rear pinion, and drive shaft angle? Or just the tc and rear pinion?

Unread 01-23-2013, 07:02 PM   #32
Lrasser
1998 TJ Wrangler 

all 3 would be good. if you take the shims out you might make the rear joint too steep. Def try just dropping the t-case first. My pinion angle is about 2 deg higher then my t-case angle but thats where my truck likes it. Every jeep is different. it's trial and error. rule of thumb I found was +/- 2 deg. Most will say -2 deg but the drive shaft shop in my area which is extreamly well known says +/- 3 so depends on who you talk to. As long as you get no vibes its good.
Lrasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 07:03 PM   #33
Lrasser
1998 TJ Wrangler 

also the steeper the drive shaft angle the more chance of vibrations......
Unread 01-23-2013, 07:49 PM   #34
olsont
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
Axle shims are the wrong way to go. The geometry of a stock type drive shaft does not have the pinion pointing at the Tcase yoke. You need a transfer case drop as a short term fix, then an SYE as soon as you can get to it. Perhaps a MML as well.

Here's the differences
Agree I didn't even think about the drive shaft. Shimming wont help if its a slip yoke (stock) shaft. I converted to a sye slip yoke eliminator and was able to shim
Unread 01-23-2013, 08:09 PM   #35
0verkillYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah for a stock shaft length will be a big difference. If you reduce the angle of the driveshaft enough angles at each end won't have as big of an impact. Only costs about $100 or so to have lengthened.
95 YJ, 2.5 AX15 conversion, 4.0 TB, SOA +1.5", 33" DC Crusher Tires, 8.8 Rear w/welded tubes + LSD, Spartan Locker HP30 Front w/solid axle swap, Rocky Road OTT kit, JKS Disconnects, AA SYE, Teraflex Shock Bar in Rear, 1/2" Boomerang Shackles, RE Add a Leafs, Homebrew Traction Bar, Monstalined in&out, LED Tail lights, 1700 Watt Stereo
0verkillYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 08:25 PM   #36
kjg26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Overkill. I'm not clear on what you're saying.
Unread 01-24-2013, 05:10 AM   #37
Lrasser
1998 TJ Wrangler 

how did you make out?
Unread 01-24-2013, 05:33 AM   #38
kjg26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Got the bolts loose, had to be up at 0400 this morning so I called it an early night. Possibly will get back into it tonight. Have longer bolts already. Ill get back with yall. Thanks.
Unread 01-24-2013, 06:44 AM   #39
0verkillYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg26 View Post
Overkill. I'm not clear on what you're saying.
You have angles you can measure at each end of the driveshaft. I am talking the the amount the shaft bends at the u joint. The longer your shaft the more reduced those angles are. That = less intense vibration. The steeper those angles the harder it vibrates.
95 YJ, 2.5 AX15 conversion, 4.0 TB, SOA +1.5", 33" DC Crusher Tires, 8.8 Rear w/welded tubes + LSD, Spartan Locker HP30 Front w/solid axle swap, Rocky Road OTT kit, JKS Disconnects, AA SYE, Teraflex Shock Bar in Rear, 1/2" Boomerang Shackles, RE Add a Leafs, Homebrew Traction Bar, Monstalined in&out, LED Tail lights, 1700 Watt Stereo
Unread 01-24-2013, 04:17 PM   #40
kahanabob
1992 YJ Wrangler 

take a long pencil and draw two vertical (up/down) lines. separate the lines about 1/2 " less then the length of the pencil take the pencil and lay it on the paper horizontally between the lines angling it so each end just touches the vertical lines on both sides. now keeping one side just on the line move the other side of the pencil to a straight horizontal position. you will see the end of the pencil goes past the line, same result you will get (on a bigger scale) when correcting the angle of the driveshaft. that is your yoke going back into the TC. in my situation when i aligned the driveshaft too perfect the driveshaft became pinched between the rearend and TC.
kahanabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2013, 06:19 PM   #41
0verkillYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahanabob View Post
take a long pencil and draw two vertical (up/down) lines. separate the lines about 1/2 " less then the length of the pencil take the pencil and lay it on the paper horizontally between the lines angling it so each end just touches the vertical lines on both sides. now keeping one side just on the line move the other side of the pencil to a straight horizontal position. you will see the end of the pencil goes past the line, same result you will get (on a bigger scale) when correcting the angle of the driveshaft. that is your yoke going back into the TC. in my situation when i aligned the driveshaft too perfect the driveshaft became pinched between the rearend and TC.
Yeah, the yoke should ride where the wear mark is on it from the factory position.
Unread 01-24-2013, 08:39 PM   #42
linusb
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Pretty sure your gonna need more than a 3/4 TC drop. 1 1/2 seems right.
1994 YJ Wrangler, 4.0, AX15, NP231, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s, 4" RC lift, 1" lift Boom Shackles, 1" BL, 4.10 gears, 8.8 LSD in rear and D30 Aussie Locker in front, on-board air conversion, Ramsey RE8000 winch.
linusb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2013, 09:37 AM   #43
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

So did you ditch the MML idea? Raising the motor will have the same effect as lowering the trans w/ the TC drop kit. If you have room to lift the motor, I'd go that route. The angle of the driveshaft doesn't really matter as long as you aren't going to bind the joints. The MML should get you close to matching angles on the 2 yokes.
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2013, 09:40 AM   #44
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

I've got both a 1" BD mml and a 1" TC drop. It doesnt have to be one or the other.
Unread 01-25-2013, 09:43 AM   #45
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogleparsons View Post
I've got both a 1" BD mml and a 1" TC drop. It doesnt have to be one or the other.
Of course not, but if you can get by w/o lowering the skid that would be ideal
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.