drive line angles - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > drive line angles

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 01-23-2013, 04:23 PM   #16
jojojeep1
1988 YJ Wrangler 

you need to shim up the front of your rear a few degrees almost there

jojojeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2013, 04:27 PM   #17
kjg26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

if i shim it up more, wont that increase my angle? Causing more of a vibe? I was thinking about going the other way, removing the shim.
Unread 01-23-2013, 04:28 PM   #18
mrdeath2000
1993 YJ Wrangler 

^That is not correct. (jojo's post)
With a SYE and Double Cardan driveshaft you want the driveshaft to have the same angle as the differential (which is when you would shim it up some).

With the STOCK driveshaft you want the angles paralell. Do a TC drop until you secure fundage for SYE and DC shaft.

Correct KJG26.
Unread 01-23-2013, 04:31 PM   #19
Lrasser
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Your driveshaft angle of 22 deg is kinda steep. Judging by the pics your rear pinion angle is alot higher then 8 deg. its hard to get a good reading on it. Easiest way is to disconnect the drive shaft and read flat across the yoke. Your rear seems to be ok but if you look at the t-case yoke your angle is way to steep. As it spins it will start to wobble (vibrate). You need to reduce the angle. I would try a 1in drop. any more then that and you will start to have other isues. (shifter, cables etc). pull one of the 6 bolts on the t-case and go buy 6 1in longer (grade 8) and a bunch of 1/2in washers. i would start at 1/2 of drop and keep adding washers till it goes away. this should make a huge difference. this should also reduce your driveshaft angle. As long as the bolts come out easy it only takes about 10min. Do one side at a time and make sure to get a jack under the t-case shield. I just went through this exact same issue but i was too steep on the pinion and did crazy amounts of research. good luck !!

P.S. everyone is right. you will be looking at a SYE in the future.........
Lrasser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2013, 04:32 PM   #20
kahanabob
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0verkillYJ View Post
I would lengthen that driveshaft before ordering a drop. Longer shaft means reduced angle. It should be riding on the slip yoke where it rode before you lifted it. Put your money into keeping it lifted. Dont lift the suspension just to lower the center. Do it right.
when you drop the TC it will move the yoke into the TC more!!
kahanabob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2013, 04:32 PM   #21
kjg26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The question is how much should I drop it? 3/4 or 1.5?
Unread 01-23-2013, 04:34 PM   #22
kjg26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

i guess i'll go with the 3/4" drop, should i remove the shims as well? or leave them?
Unread 01-23-2013, 04:36 PM   #23
kahanabob
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg26 View Post
if i shim it up more, wont that increase my angle? Causing more of a vibe? I was thinking about going the other way, removing the shim.
rear is fine just drop the TC min 1" maybe need 1 1/2?..been there done that on my 92......
Unread 01-23-2013, 04:37 PM   #24
Lrasser
1998 TJ Wrangler 

leave the shims for now. dont order a t-case drop. you can use longer bolts and washer to drop it. this way you can see what you need. you can either leave it like that until you get an sye or order the plates the correct size after you judge it with the bolts and washers. it works perfect and its what most guys do.
Lrasser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2013, 04:38 PM   #25
kahanabob
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg26 View Post
i guess i'll go with the 3/4" drop, should i remove the shims as well? or leave them?
leave the shims alone....do one thing at a time...TC drop first..
Unread 01-23-2013, 05:12 PM   #26
kjg26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Here's some better pics of rear pinion angle without the shaft.

forumrunner_20130123_181101.jpg

forumrunner_20130123_181110.jpg
Same thoughts? Leave shims as is (ome shims ~3 ) and slowly lower tc?
Unread 01-23-2013, 05:18 PM   #27
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

TC drop, until you can get the SYE/CV set up. Odd's are you'll end up lowering the TC the same amount as you lifted it....or real close, which will put the drive shaft back in it's stock position this is not the best case scenario but it'll work until you can get the SYE/CV set up. I used the SYE/CV set up, along with some 8* shims when I left my YJ 4 inches. Oddly enough I didn't get any vibes prior to the SYE/CV set up, but my drive shaft did look like it was ready to drop out of the SY...like yours.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2013, 05:20 PM   #28
mrdeath2000
1993 YJ Wrangler 

If you get bolts that are 1-2" longer, you can just replace your current bolts with them to measure how much drop to get it where you want. You wouldn't drive this way because there would be a big gap, but you can measure that gap to figure out how much you need and how much angle change you see in 3/4" vs 1" vs 1.25" etc.

You will probably have to do a TC drop until SYE time.
You COULD remove the shims which would be better in the sense you're not losing ground clearance in the center, BUT you run into the likelyhood of binding the joints.
Unread 01-23-2013, 05:23 PM   #29
kjg26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, 4 of the 6 tc skid bolts let loose. Hoping the other two do with the compressor. Its filling as I write this. Ill be running to homedepot for the bolts. Ill post back with more angle pics when I get them.
Unread 01-23-2013, 07:13 PM   #30
kahanabob
1992 YJ Wrangler 

start with 3/4"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.