Drag Link Upgrade? - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Drednot

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 06-15-2017, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
gehlsurf

Drag Link Upgrade?

Hi guys,

Well I finally got a Jeep! An '89 Jeep YJ. Been doing some light clean up and maintenance of it here and there. My steering wheel is cocked to the side (went from stock, to 1 inch lift, back to stock is reason why-I think...). So in trying to adjust/turn the drag link, it won't budge at all, tried WD40, propane heating, etc. cranked either way for about an hour with vise grips and large wrench on end and won't budge even standing on it.

Thinking of just buying new, is there any reason to not go stock? Go upgraded? While I'm in there, new tie rod? It's not a serious off road vehicle, just dirt roads when hunting and weekend warrior.

Also, the pivot points shackle around, is that normal? Still haven't gotten a mechanical manual for it yet.

Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-16-2017, 03:40 AM
timatoe
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I built my own. Here's an old thread with some info.... http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/w...pgrade-521301/

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #3 of 10 Old 06-16-2017, 04:48 AM
-OIIIIIIIO-01
Getting Close.....

1991 YJ Wrangler 

This is a kit that will replace your factory set up with much beefier parts, as referenced by the link above. 1.5x.25 DOM tubing, weld in bungs and TRE. There is also an attachment (sold separate) for your SS.

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/...de=STEERINGKIT

91 YJ 4.0/AX15/231J AA SYE
3.5" BDS Springs / .75" Booms / 1"BL
HP D30 /Akebono's /1 Ton GM Crossover Steering
Ford 8.8 / Trac loc LSD w/ disc brakes
35x12.5x16 Nitto Trail Grapplers
Walbro255 MetalCloaks

post #4 of 10 Old 06-16-2017, 06:10 PM
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

You DO NOT need any upgrade parts.

Most are poorly engineered anyways.

Just get all new moog stock replacement linkages and tie rod ends.

91 YJ Sahara, 4.0L, AX-15/NP231, D30/D35@3.07
12 Cherokee 4x4,3.7L,42RLE/MP1522, D30M/8.25@3.73
Emission test=YES
"Non Vi Sed, Arte"
post #5 of 10 Old 06-17-2017, 06:46 AM
jserna
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Hey Dred, I have used Moog parts on my Grand and Ram 1500, they are definitely more beefy then stock. How do the YJ parts compare to stock?
post #6 of 10 Old 06-17-2017, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
gehlsurf

Well, I was kind of wondering what the upgraded systems do? Like ive said, the only off road ing I'll be doing is on dirt roads, haha.

If they tighten steering, like play, etc. I might be down for the extra money. But for them to be beefier, they won't get hit by rocks or anything of the sort, I live in FL, so there's not much to hit anyhow typically.
post #7 of 10 Old 06-17-2017, 09:53 AM
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jserna View Post
Hey Dred, I have used Moog parts on my Grand and Ram 1500, they are definitely more beefy then stock. How do the YJ parts compare to stock?
MOOG parts are pretty much the "gold standard" when it comes to replacement steering parts.

This is my stock vs. moog replacements.
They seemed beefier, but measuring thicknesses/diameters revealed that they were the same. Which was just fine with me.

project_mercy likes this.

Emission test=YES
"Non Vi Sed, Arte"
post #8 of 10 Old 06-17-2017, 10:20 AM
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gehlsurf View Post
Well, I was kind of wondering what the upgraded systems do? Like ive said, the only off road ing I'll be doing is on dirt roads, haha.

If they tighten steering, like play, etc. I might be down for the extra money. But for them to be beefier, they won't get hit by rocks or anything of the sort, I live in FL, so there's not much to hit anyhow typically.

For obvious liability reasons, factory steering components are pretty stout. The moog replacements are identical and made with quality materials and proven clamping technology.

The "Beefier steering" dreams come from severe abuse damage of stock solid bar components. While its true that thick wall tubing can be more resistant to bending, and the larger 1 ton tie rod ends are bigger and stronger, the jam nut adjustment threadings tends to be weaker than stock. Bending forces just move to the new weak spot.

That's why factory uses those split sleeves with clamps. Much greater support and loosen proof.

The beefier steering links still get abused and still bend with a side order of loosening lock nuts and clearance/interference issues.

For your usage, the stock is best.

Just saw this on craigslist...had to laugh. Guy is selling his bent curie steering linkage.

"Currie Correctlync currectlync is a heavy duty replacement for the tie rod and drag link.
Has a small bend on the tie rod, can be straightened before installing, or use as is. (I will also include an additional tie rod)
Sells new for $550 -$600, will sell for $180 obo

You can look up all the details on line, everybody loves this setup, here is a brief description.
The Currie Currectlync® is a heavy duty tie rod and drag link system
a 1 ¼" diameter forged alloy drag link, and a 1 ¼" solid alloy steel tie rod bar that is bored and threaded on the ends.
All 7/8" thread tie rod ends.
200% stronger than the stock components!"

Emission test=YES
"Non Vi Sed, Arte"
post #9 of 10 Old 06-18-2017, 07:27 AM
jserna
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The adjustment clamps is what I really like on the stock set up. I am surprised that none of the after market set ups use this design.
post #10 of 10 Old 06-19-2017, 11:32 AM
87TPIYJ
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jserna View Post
What part of FL? I bent mine wheeling at Hardrock in Ocala. Went with 1/4" Wall DOM replacement.

YJ 350TPI NV4500 HPD60 14BFF ARB Chromo's
March 2017 YJOTM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.