Double Cardan (CV) installation help needed! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Double Cardan (CV) installation help needed!

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFOX IFP Shocks for 4" Lift TJ/LJ - Special!Jeep Gear & Install Packages!

Unread 06-28-2013, 12:58 PM   #1
klimarov
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Double Cardan (CV) installation help needed!

Hello fellow Jeepers.

I Just got 1992 YJ and when i bought it the previous owner said he removed front part of Double Cardan to save on gas. When i took the Jeep home i had the piece back in my trunk. Now i'd like to put it back and have the 4x4 working, as this jeep is my toy and i want to use it to the fullest.

I however ran into a problem, when i took a look underneath saw no bolts or any thing i could screw the joint to and it frustrates me a little. I'm not a mechanic, this Jeep is my toy and my hobby, and i'm taking first steps in learning it. Can any one give me a guide on how to connect that front double cardan join so i can have my 4x4 working?

klimarov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2013, 01:16 PM   #2
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Are you talking about the front driveshaft?
Unread 06-28-2013, 01:18 PM   #3
mrdeath2000
1993 YJ Wrangler 

A YJ's front shaft does not spin when driving, so the only fuel savings would be weight.

UNLESS, he has swapped to a one piece passenger side axle shaft (eliminating the vacuum disconnect, there would be a plate over it) OR he installed a lunchbox locker.

I mention the above because it may not have been removed because of fuel mileage, but maybe vibrations (balance, angle, etc).

Call any local driveshaft shop and they probably have some in stock. Can you post a picture of your front axle and the shaft? Want to make sure it is the D30 and a DC shaft or stock shaft.
Unread 06-28-2013, 01:20 PM   #4
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdeath2000 View Post
A YJ's front shaft does not spin when driving, so the only fuel savings would be weight.

UNLESS, he has swapped to a one piece passenger side axle shaft (eliminating the vacuum disconnect, there would be a plate over it) OR he installed a lunchbox locker.

I mention the above because it may not have been removed because of fuel mileage, but maybe vibrations (balance, angle, etc).

Call any local driveshaft shop and they probably have some in stock. Can you post a picture of your front axle and the shaft? Want to make sure it is the D30 and a DC shaft or stock shaft.
They also didnt come stock with a double cardan front driveshaft
98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - too many mods to list::SOLD::
grandboost98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2013, 01:23 PM   #5
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

You are talking about your front drive shaft???
Stock doesn't come with a DC shaft.

Now, I do have a DC shaft on the rear and there is no way to remove the dc part, it is all kind of 1 piece.

Here is my rear DC. It may help.
jeepster93 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2013, 02:09 PM   #6
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have a DC shaft up front, it's not stock tho...If u could take some pics of the situation/problem it would make it much easier for us to help. Did he take the cv joint off the shaft and reinstall it? Or did he just give u a shaft and was driving it without it installed? It could b for a simple reason or he could have been trying to hide sumthing bad that was obvious with it in,'like say bad bearings on the front output shaft of the transfercase. I hope for ur sake it's not sumthing bad and u just need to install ur front shaft, but we will need a little lot more info or pics to help more. If u just need bolts, u can get 5/16s fine thread grade 5 or 8 at the hardware store and they'll do the trick, they r 1 1/4 inch long usually.
PA_YJ19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2013, 03:36 PM   #7
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Best I can figure out you are trying to put the front driveshaft in.
You will need a set of these, two kits. Four straps and eight bolts in total.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par.../N-izuiqZ6o231
Normally the bolts have locktight already on them, if they do not pick up some blue locktight.
These straps will hold the front driveshaft universal in the front pinion yoke and the transfercase yoke.
Hope this helps.
Your front driveshaft should not have a CV in it, but it is possible that PO put one in for some reason.
Unread 06-29-2013, 10:31 PM   #8
klimarov
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you guys for the help. I will have pics up tomorrow hopefully, you can help me understand a little more. I'm afraid though that PA_YJ19 might be right about a hidden problem. When i bought my YJ, the seller just handed me the front part of the CV. As i understand there is a front join that connects front axle with the "ball shaft" (middle connection) and than there is a 2nd join that connects the "ball shaft" with the rare axle. I do have the ball shaft, and i have the rare joint connected. The front join was given to me as is, it's a U-join i believe but it is missing the connection. the pics tomorrow will show the full story and hopefully with your valuable help i will have my YJ adjusted.

When i made the purchase, i expected to have problems with the Jeep, there lots of work to be done and it still will be far from perfect. The jeep is in ridable condition, however i can't do off-roading just yet, the tank skid plate is rotten and i need to replace it immediately as it's tied with cable to the track bar, that's to mention a few.
Unread 06-30-2013, 06:23 AM   #9
heyvern
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Are you aware that the skid plate on your fuel rank is holding the tank up?
heyvern is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2013, 10:01 AM   #10
klimarov
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Yep i'm aware of that. problem is that my current skid plate is half rotten, and doesn't holds well. The previous owner has tied it up with alumenum cables using trak bar and the frame, so it can hold. I just got new skid plate plate, so i can make it as intended and remove those cables along with trak bar.
Unread 07-01-2013, 10:20 AM   #11
87TPIYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Pics please

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.