DOT approved HID lights - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > DOT approved HID lights

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-11-2011, 01:01 AM   #1
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

DOT approved HID lights

In an attempt to stay completely legal (I hate dealing with the police- much rather stay legal and keep friends with everyone), and desiring some better headlights, I have deiced to start searching for HID lights.

Does ANYBODY know of any good 55W HID kits around 6000K that are DOT approved? I have been searching for quite a while but haven't found any really useful results. Also I need aftermarket headlight housings for the lights, since my lights are 1 piece housing/bulb units.

-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2011, 06:02 AM   #2
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Here is going to be your problem in finding what you want. There is none in the after market arena. The only ones are the ones that car makers have approved. Besides if you could find some they would cost you more than you could afford. Now with that said you can find ones that could be approved if they where to run them thorough the approval procedures which. Now you can get approved housings the add the hid bulbs which should keep you out of trouble with the local police.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2011, 11:07 AM   #3
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

You'll have to do a Retrofit with some projectors to do it properly, and get bixenon hid's .
Unread 08-11-2011, 11:12 AM   #4
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

once again, and just to toss this out there, DOT approval and legal are 2 completely different things.

At any rate, as stated, to do it properly you'll want some projector style housings and a bixenon kit so you will have both low beam and high beam. Need a high beam to be able to signal other drivers in the event of an emergency. for the HIDs, I got the ones I have on my Hayabusa from www.xenonking.com but mostly because he is a vendor on hayabusa.org and offers a forum discount
Rubicon Express 4" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift,15x8" AR 767s, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Home Made Snorkel, Sanden OBA, Home made rocker gaurds. 8.8 Rear with Discs, 4.10s F&R, ARB rear, Detroit EZ Locker front, WarnM8000 with Viking Synthetic Line, Beadlocks, Tons of Mods
My RigRater Score: 682RRv1.0 with a BOA of 13.47
I'm now doing custom bumpers and lift installs in So-cal
92 Green YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2011, 12:01 PM   #5
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

In California, if the lights are not DOT approved, they are not legal. I am on an iPad right now so I cant bring up the link that states this, but it's on CAs CHP website.
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2011, 12:08 PM   #6
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
In California, if the lights are not DOT approved, they are not legal. I am on an iPad right now so I cant bring up the link that states this, but it's on CAs CHP website.
well I'm hosed then with my flush mount LED tail lights i've been running for about 4 years now
Rubicon Express 4" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift,15x8" AR 767s, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Home Made Snorkel, Sanden OBA, Home made rocker gaurds. 8.8 Rear with Discs, 4.10s F&R, ARB rear, Detroit EZ Locker front, WarnM8000 with Viking Synthetic Line, Beadlocks, Tons of Mods
My RigRater Score: 682RRv1.0 with a BOA of 13.47
I'm now doing custom bumpers and lift installs in So-cal
92 Green YJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.