DOT 5 in a YJ clutch??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > DOT 5 in a YJ clutch???

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 02-25-2009, 07:57 PM   #1
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

DOT 5 in a YJ clutch???

Burnerboy and I are pulling the tranny to fix a bad freeze plug and slapping in a new clutch in the process. We got a clutch kit and new master from Quadratec. It's an AMS Rhino pac clutch and an OEM replacement master. A old timer at work say's me should use DOT 5 or silicone fluid in it so the slave will last longer. The factory master say's DOT3 fluid. Has anyone used DOT5? What do you guy's think?

Unread 02-25-2009, 08:03 PM   #2
jgillespie
1991 YJ Wrangler 

IMO, i would stay with the DOT3 fluid, at most maybe a bump to DOT4, but the DOT5 seems a little excessive. i have never heard of using that fluid to help the longevity of the slave cylinder...

Originally posted by Crazyquadder:
Quote:
a 6 foot puddle is approx half way up my doors
jgillespie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2009, 08:06 PM   #3
Brads_nky_yj

I only use DOT3 and my tranny and clutch were replaced last year. Thats what I was reccomended to use and I have had no problems whatsoever with it. Hope this helps.
Unread 02-25-2009, 08:16 PM   #4
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Ya ... that's what I seem to think but the old guy at work swears by the silicone fluid. He say's it lubricates the o rings and cannot absorb moisture. He say's everything will last longer. I think he's put it in all of his car braking systems so he never has to worry about it again. I guess he think's it'll last forever! He told me to do the same thing when I put the new ss brake lines in my Jeep. The guy at the parts store said it's not compatable with other fluids so unless it's an all new system don't do it.. I know it's overkill but it only takes a small amount of fluid so cost isn't that much. I dunno...
Unread 02-25-2009, 08:25 PM   #5
makaioM3
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Dot 5 is best for cars that seldom get used such as in a large collection or museum pieces, because it's not hydroscopic like Dot 3 or 4 brake fluid. But brake performance suffers with Dot 5. You can not mix dot 5 with either dot 3 or 4, but you can mix dot 3 & 4 fluid. Stick with Dot 3 or 4 and flush it every other year regardless of mileage. It will keep corrosion at bay and keep performance at maximum., even in a clutch system.
Unread 02-25-2009, 08:28 PM   #6
Brads_nky_yj

Yeah, what this guy said!
Unread 02-25-2009, 08:28 PM   #7
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

DOT 3 it is... I just Googled it and it's the same as you guys said. I also have some reading material for the old guy at work tomorrow! He watches too much racing!
Unread 02-25-2009, 08:34 PM   #8
swedishdwarf
1995 YJ Wrangler 

DOT 4 or 5 is a waste of money. The only difference I know of is the boiling point, and if the boiling point of DOT 3 isn't high enough for your clutch hydraulics I think you might be doing it wrong.
Unread 02-25-2009, 08:44 PM   #9
makaioM3
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Most race cars seldom use DOT 5, because it actually creates a spongy feel to the pedal. Much like that of a system with contamination in it. Having a higher boiling point whether it be in a clucth or in the brake system is a good idea IMHO. Because not only is the dry boiling temp (no water contamination ) higher, the wet (contaminated by moisture) temp is higher. And I venture to say that not many people change theeir fluid annually or every other year for that matter to keep the brake & clutch system in optimum performance.

A liter of ATE Super blue DOT 4 fluid is around $10 The last time I looked a liter of DOT 3 was around $7.
Unread 02-25-2009, 09:15 PM   #10
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Ok, old timer here, and all I will use in my jeep hyd clutch is Dot4. Why? because back when I was selling the factory overhaul kits for the jeep hyd clutch parts in the 80s, the parts were all labeled Lucus (jeep parts straight from American Motors). Having spent more time and money on Brittish cars than I care to remember, one thing I learned was to never use DOT3 on Brittish rubber parts.

Do what you want, it is Dot4 for me.
Old4X is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2009, 09:45 PM   #11
Castr8r
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Another ol' fart puttin' in my two bits worth. Dot 3 or 4; preferably Dot 4. Why? Because it IS hygroscopic. Dot 5 will not absorb water, so when it gets in your system, be it brake or clutch, the droplets stay together and will create a rust spot at some point(s). I haven't been able to boil my brake fluid or that in my clutch yet, so I don't think that's an argument to consider. 'Course, that may be because I haven't tried hard enough...
Castr8r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2009, 11:34 PM   #12
crusty75
1975 CJ5 

Here is the real reason not to use DOT 5. That crap is VERY VERY difficult to bleed. It can be an unbleedable world class horror sometimes. The air moves so slowly thorough the silicone that you almost always have to use something like a MittyVac or such to get the system bled.

For a few years there, Harley used DOT 5, my 03 being one of them. They used it because it was less harmful to paint. Visit a Harley tech site, and do a search for brake bleeding DOT 5. Read the horror stories and screaming rants.

Don't listen to the guy. Silicone has to be flushed and changed just as often as 3 & 4, and it is HELL to bleed properly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.