Doorless mirror mount idea - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Doorless mirror mount idea

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-07-2013, 03:10 PM   #1
Firefyter-Emt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Doorless mirror mount idea

So like many others, I am always in search of a better way to have a quick release, solid, and good looking mirror for when the doors come off. I had an idea today that would use one of the universal mirror heads with the 1/4-20 thread studs. Basically you would need to buy one of the RAM mounts 1/4-20 ball mounts with a female thread. This would be threaded onto the mirror head with some lock tight so it stays put. Then you buy a male 5/16-18 male thread ball mount and install in place of one of the windshield bolts. Now you just need one of those RAM mount arms to have a rock solid, and quick removing mirror! All that you are left with is the 1" ball mounted to a windshield hinge. If you have windshield mounted lights on the hinges, it would almost be invisible!

http://www.rammount.com/NewProducts/...Default.aspx#/

Firefyter-Emt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2013, 04:13 PM   #2
TheBootlegger
1995 YJ Wrangler 

That'd be pretty looking, and effective most likely. But also kinda expensive lol. To each his own, I simply bought a 5$ bicycle mirror from Canadian Tire (obviously a canadian store). Works great on both sides, simple installation and removal, doesn't move at all and best of all, if I break it , all I gotsa do is pickup one of these next time I go to that store (which I do at least once a day. Help me. Someone.)

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/su...-0734218p.html

I like your idea though, if you ever do it make sure to post some pics!
TheBootlegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2013, 05:31 PM   #3
Firefyter-Emt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I will probably never do it either! I tend to leave the half doors on the Jeep in case I have to seal it up if rains at work, but I have never been pleased with the ones on the market to move the mirrors, or the temp replacement ones.

I was just thinking too, I bet you could also mount the ball mount on the windshield mount plate above the speaker for an even better looking quick mount!
Unread 11-07-2013, 05:45 PM   #4
djfred
1992 YJ Wrangler 

This is what i use and its great.

Front D30 (4.88 w/ Powertrax No-Slip) -- Rear 8.8 (4.88 w/ ARB) -- Front Custom Bumper -- Custom Side Rock Guards -- Dual Snorkel (Coming Soon)
djfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2013, 05:59 PM   #5
Firefyter-Emt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I ran those for the last 10 years on my old Jeep (well, the CJ style ones that mount to the front of the hinge) and they worked nice... except as mirrors! LOL The stock door mirrors work nice, I just want a better set up for a lone drivers side mirror when I take the half doors off. Ideally, this would be done without tools. The Ram mount system uses rubberized 1" balls and a thumb nut. That leaves you with a dead set mirror that does not more, and not having to break out wrenches to put on a set of bike mirrors. ( I use the bolt on to the upper hinge at this time.)
Unread 11-07-2013, 06:51 PM   #6
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have some Harley mirrors that work great for when the doors are off. Fit righ into the mounts.. I just need to get some more washers to makbit more efficient

Sent from Peggy's office
AmmitOsiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2013, 12:44 PM   #7
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfred View Post
This is what i use and its great.

I took those mirrors and did this:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/m...95-yj-1397157/

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2013, 05:46 PM   #8
jred
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmmitOsiris View Post
I have some Harley mirrors that work great for when the doors are off. Fit righ into the mounts.. I just need to get some more washers to makbit more efficient
This. You can usually get take-offs at any bike shop for $5 or so. I love Harley owners. Buy a bike, then immediately take off perfectly good parts to bling it up. That leaves plenty of cheap parts for the guys that don't care about bling.
jred is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.