Door won't open on YJ, HELP - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Door won't open on YJ, HELP

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 12-07-2010, 12:08 PM   #1
nickystyx
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Door won't open on YJ, HELP

I bought a 93 YJ from a dealer during the summer and he threw in a hard top and full doors to go with the soft top and half doors that were on it, I swapped the soft top for the hard top and fulls for the winter and now I can't open the drivers side door (I've trying taking the panel off the door and pulling on everything I could to get it open), I'm not sure what to do now. Also the latch on the passenger side door doesn't match up to the pin on the body and will not latch closed.

nickystyx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2010, 12:20 PM   #2
maddoc
1994 YJ Wrangler 

had the same problem on my wifes YJ, i ended up having to slimjim the door a lot and it went back to the body shop that put the top on a total of 8 times, all in all i really don't remember what the cause of the problem was but they did install a plate on the inside of the door latch that was suppose to fix the issue
maddoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2010, 03:51 PM   #3
Noltz
YJ Wrangler 

My current YJ had a seized door on the driver side. Everything inside was stripped and seized. It took a boatload of hammering and prying to get it to open, and she's SEIZED open now.

It's likely your best bet to pay a garage a half hour or hours labour to get the door open and latch free'd up, if it's possible. You've already got the panel off so any decent technician should have it open in about a half hour... more if you want him to free it up.
Noltz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2010, 03:55 PM   #4
scubamc
1991 YJ Wrangler 

What kind of condition are the doors, top and tub in? Has the frame been tweaked any? It sounds like the door and the strikers are in a bind and this is what is not allowing you to open them. You can adjust the striker pin to see if that will help. I would also look and greasing the door mechanisms.
scubamc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2010, 04:39 PM   #5
jddelrosso
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Due to not aligning my doors correctly i have to push the whole drivers door inward while pulling the handle in order to open it. When i dont push it is very hard to pull the handle, may be part of your problem...
jddelrosso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2010, 12:41 AM   #6
nickystyx
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I figured it was just the striker on the passenger door. The drivers door isn't in the best condition, its totally stripped of all paneling, their is no inside handle, and when i remove the inside panel covering all the mechanics the rod that would of connected to the inside handle is just duct taped onto the release mechanism, also when I try and open the door from the outside the latch feels like it is just sliding on the mechanism and isn't attached anymore. the tub it self is in good condition and doesn't show any sign of flexing, my half doors close and open with no issue what so ever. the top is in good condition except for the rear wiper not working. If I can just get the door open and off I'll take the hard top off for now and go back to the soft top until I can pickup new full doors.
nickystyx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
door , door latch , steel doors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.