Door rattle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Door rattle

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 04-16-2008, 01:17 PM   #1
samsonitesamson
1995 ZJ 

Door rattle

I tried the search but didn't come up with what I needed.... I just got a set of full doors for the Heep, and they rattle pretty bad going over bumps... is there any way to tighten up the latching mechanism? Anyone else have this problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnabb View Post
it bolted right up, except one bolt but i didn't need it anyway
samsonitesamson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2008, 01:37 PM   #2
Hockey1
1990 YJ Wrangler 

mine rattle, but i just need to adjust the door striker. that and the weld is broke where the window frame meets the lower half of the door just above the door handle.

Welcome to America, now speak English!
Hockey1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2008, 01:55 PM   #3
Stiffler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Mine was the door striker too. It loosens up, so if you tighten the strike it should help. Also, check the screws that hold the housing for the striker too, sometimes they pop out.
Unread 04-16-2008, 06:50 PM   #4
samsonitesamson
1995 ZJ 

my weds are cracked too... I guess that's the next project... is there any adjustment in the striker?

Quote:
Unread 04-16-2008, 07:59 PM   #5
Hockey1
1990 YJ Wrangler 

yes, you can unscrew the bolt with a torx head bit. you can add or remove the washers to adjust the door.

Welcome to America, now speak English!
Hockey1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2008, 08:33 PM   #6
samsonitesamson
1995 ZJ 

well, I know with other cars I have had that door rattles happen alot when the plastic bushings on the striker break and go missing, did yj's come with that plastic bushing on the striker?!

Quote:
Unread 04-17-2008, 04:40 PM   #7
samsonitesamson
1995 ZJ 

?? .

Quote:
Unread 04-18-2008, 12:42 AM   #8
jcrouch
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Door Rattle

I have noticed on my 99 Sahara that when you shut the Driver's door, it sounds like a marble rattling inside the door handle. Any ideas on what that might be?
jcrouch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2008, 05:40 AM   #9
yellow2kgt
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrouch View Post
I have noticed on my 99 Sahara that when you shut the Driver's door, it sounds like a marble rattling inside the door handle. Any ideas on what that might be?
Assuming your TJ doors are like mine... There is a metal rod that runs from the door handle down. It has a plastic bushing that it slides through where it runs through a metal bracket inside the door. On mine that plastic bushing popped out of the hole allowing the rod to move around and make a marble like rattle. I just need to see if I can still get that bushing because the plastic clips that hold it in place are worn off.
Howell EFI, BDS 3.5" lift, M.O.R.E 5/8" Boomerang shackles, 1" Daystar BL, 1" JKS MML, TFI, Crager soft 8s w 35" Dunlop Mud Rovers, Ford 8.8, 4.88s, Dana 30 E-Locker, Terra Flex SYE, Tom Woods CV shaft, Warn M8000.
yellow2kgt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2008, 08:59 AM   #10
YJGEEWA
1989 YJ Wrangler 

My door rattle had alot to do with the mirrors rattling around inside there housing replaced them no more rattle. So next time your driving grab hold of the mirror and see if your rattle goes away mine did.
Unread 04-19-2008, 03:19 PM   #11
jcrouch
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow2kgt View Post
Assuming your TJ doors are like mine... There is a metal rod that runs from the door handle down. It has a plastic bushing that it slides through where it runs through a metal bracket inside the door. On mine that plastic bushing popped out of the hole allowing the rod to move around and make a marble like rattle. I just need to see if I can still get that bushing because the plastic clips that hold it in place are worn off.
Thanks for the help. I'll probably get in there and take a look at it this weekend sometime. Just haven't had a chance to tear it apart yet. I imagine it's probably something simple like that.
jcrouch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2008, 03:23 PM   #12
areohbe
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I had a rattle too, turns out the screw that holds the vertical divider piece (between main window and tiny triangle window) had loosened and that divider was knocking around... when you hear the rattle again, try pressing on that piece and see if the rattle stops.
areohbe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2008, 04:15 PM   #13
93BlackYJ_PC
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrouch View Post
There is the off chance it could be a marble
93BlackYJ_PC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.