Door rattle - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 04-16-2008, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
samsonitesamson
1995 ZJ 

Door rattle

I tried the search but didn't come up with what I needed.... I just got a set of full doors for the Heep, and they rattle pretty bad going over bumps... is there any way to tighten up the latching mechanism? Anyone else have this problem?

When thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee ~ Isaiah 43:2 ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnabb View Post
it bolted right up, except one bolt but i didn't need it anyway
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-16-2008, 01:37 PM
Hockey1
1990 YJ Wrangler 

mine rattle, but i just need to adjust the door striker. that and the weld is broke where the window frame meets the lower half of the door just above the door handle.

1990 Jeep Wrangler YJ 2.5
2004 Grand Cherokee Special Edition
2010 Ford F150 FX4

Welcome to America, now speak English!
post #3 of 13 Old 04-16-2008, 01:55 PM
Stiffler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Mine was the door striker too. It loosens up, so if you tighten the strike it should help. Also, check the screws that hold the housing for the striker too, sometimes they pop out.

Mr. T.
post #4 of 13 Old 04-16-2008, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
samsonitesamson
1995 ZJ 

my weds are cracked too... I guess that's the next project... is there any adjustment in the striker?

When thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee ~ Isaiah 43:2 ~

Quote:
post #5 of 13 Old 04-16-2008, 07:59 PM
Hockey1
1990 YJ Wrangler 

yes, you can unscrew the bolt with a torx head bit. you can add or remove the washers to adjust the door.

1990 Jeep Wrangler YJ 2.5
2004 Grand Cherokee Special Edition
2010 Ford F150 FX4

Welcome to America, now speak English!
post #6 of 13 Old 04-16-2008, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
samsonitesamson
1995 ZJ 

well, I know with other cars I have had that door rattles happen alot when the plastic bushings on the striker break and go missing, did yj's come with that plastic bushing on the striker?!

Quote:
post #7 of 13 Old 04-17-2008, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
samsonitesamson
1995 ZJ 

?? .

Quote:
post #8 of 13 Old 04-18-2008, 12:42 AM
jcrouch
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Door Rattle

I have noticed on my 99 Sahara that when you shut the Driver's door, it sounds like a marble rattling inside the door handle. Any ideas on what that might be?
post #9 of 13 Old 04-18-2008, 05:40 AM
yellow2kgt
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrouch View Post
I have noticed on my 99 Sahara that when you shut the Driver's door, it sounds like a marble rattling inside the door handle. Any ideas on what that might be?
Assuming your TJ doors are like mine... There is a metal rod that runs from the door handle down. It has a plastic bushing that it slides through where it runs through a metal bracket inside the door. On mine that plastic bushing popped out of the hole allowing the rod to move around and make a marble like rattle. I just need to see if I can still get that bushing because the plastic clips that hold it in place are worn off.

1990 Jeep YJ 4.2
Howell EFI, BDS 3.5" lift, M.O.R.E 5/8" Boomerang shackles, 1" Daystar BL, 1" JKS MML, TFI, Crager soft 8s w 35" Dunlop Mud Rovers, Ford 8.8, 4.88s, Dana 30 E-Locker, Terra Flex SYE, Tom Woods CV shaft, Warn M8000.
post #10 of 13 Old 04-18-2008, 08:59 AM
YJGEEWA
1989 YJ Wrangler 

My door rattle had alot to do with the mirrors rattling around inside there housing replaced them no more rattle. So next time your driving grab hold of the mirror and see if your rattle goes away mine did.

Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut.
post #11 of 13 Old 04-19-2008, 03:19 PM
jcrouch
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow2kgt View Post
Assuming your TJ doors are like mine... There is a metal rod that runs from the door handle down. It has a plastic bushing that it slides through where it runs through a metal bracket inside the door. On mine that plastic bushing popped out of the hole allowing the rod to move around and make a marble like rattle. I just need to see if I can still get that bushing because the plastic clips that hold it in place are worn off.
Thanks for the help. I'll probably get in there and take a look at it this weekend sometime. Just haven't had a chance to tear it apart yet. I imagine it's probably something simple like that.
post #12 of 13 Old 04-19-2008, 03:23 PM
areohbe
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I had a rattle too, turns out the screw that holds the vertical divider piece (between main window and tiny triangle window) had loosened and that divider was knocking around... when you hear the rattle again, try pressing on that piece and see if the rattle stops.
post #13 of 13 Old 04-19-2008, 04:15 PM
93BlackYJ_PC
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrouch View Post
There is the off chance it could be a marble

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.