Door Latch and Post (90 YJ) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Door Latch and Post (90 YJ)

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 10-11-2005, 10:24 PM   #1
YJ Newby

Door Latch and Post (90 YJ)

Hello All!
Stumbled across this site and it is wonderful! I am new to the Jeep world with my recent purchase of a 1990 Islander. I am steadily learning a few of the little ticks about Wranglers (Carter 2BBL, anyone?) but am overall very happy with it. One thing I noticed, though, is that neither door closes properly. You can firmly shut them, but they flop back "open" about a half inch or so and rattle like crazy while I drive. Is this typical of Jeeps, and if so is there a simple adjustment that I can make to have them close properly? Or, am I in for replacing both latch mechanisms or posts (or both)? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I have played around with them for hours and cannot figure out how to get them to close properly.

Thanks!

YJ Newby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2005, 10:32 PM   #2
Stangman516

I have the same problem on my jeep. it is pretty common. Try adjusting the stricker (the round metal peice the door latches around when it closes) mine has a big groove in it because it's so old so the door latches catch in the groove and consequently the door does not shut properly. somebody told me that the stricker is adjustable so you could try loosening it and moving it in or just get a new one. hope that helps

and welcome to the site
l---L--?lllllll?-

()_) ()_)----)_)
White Jeep club member #40
Stangman516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2005, 10:41 PM   #3
YJ Newby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangman516
I have the same problem on my jeep. it is pretty common. Try adjusting the stricker (the round metal peice the door latches around when it closes) mine has a big groove in it because it's so old so the door latches catch in the groove and consequently the door does not shut properly. somebody told me that the stricker is adjustable so you could try loosening it and moving it in or just get a new one. hope that helps

and welcome to the site

Is the torx slot in the center of the striker where you loosen it? When I try this, the whole post just spins. Should I grab it with a channel lock and try again? Incidently, I know exactly what "goove" you are referring to. I have a very handsome set on my strikers, too.

Thanks!
Unread 10-12-2005, 10:12 AM   #4
Wif
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I had the same problem with my half doors .. try oiling the catch plate in the door before adjusting anything .. I found that my catch was springing back out a bit and not locking .. after oiling it went in all the way.
[I]Who's[/I] in front ?

Ridin' topless again .. sweet !!
Wif is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2005, 08:31 PM   #5
YJ Newby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Jeepster
I had the same problem with my half doors .. try oiling the catch plate in the door before adjusting anything .. I found that my catch was springing back out a bit and not locking .. after oiling it went in all the way.

WOW! How could the remedy be so simple? A couple of shots of WD40, open & close the door a few times, and they are closing as tight as the day it was new.

Thanks!
Unread 10-13-2005, 09:54 PM   #6
copscott76

On my YJ, the passenger's side closes all the way, but the driver's side takes a little bit more umph to get the door to shut all the way. Would oiling the springs help this cause? When the door shuts, there is a little gap but doesn't rattle. Any ideas would be helpful.
copscott76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2005, 10:30 PM   #7
YJ Newby

Quote:
Originally Posted by copscott76
On my YJ, the passenger's side closes all the way, but the driver's side takes a little bit more umph to get the door to shut all the way. Would oiling the springs help this cause? When the door shuts, there is a little gap but doesn't rattle. Any ideas would be helpful.
Lubing the latch assembly sure worked for me. I just opened the door and sprayed the whole latch assembly area with WD40. (NOTE: you will get a lot of black, gunky crud pouring out of the weep holes on the bottom of the door, so be ready to wipe it off the rocker panels - You may also want to put a towel on your seats, 'cuz it kinda sprays when you shut the door the first time or two) I then opened and closed the door a few time and repeated the process. They close tight now with very little effort. I will go ahead and oil them this weekend since the WD40 probably washed away all of the necessary lubrication between the metal-to-metal bits.

( Thanks for the tip 88Jeepster! )

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.