Door jammed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Door jammed

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits 2010-14 Jeep Wrangler Island Topper Black Rugged Ridge 1352007-2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4 Door Black Cargo Net (

Unread 08-30-2014, 01:53 PM   #1
Czardan
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Door jammed

Hey Guys

So the other day I locked my jeeps doors and the drivers side lock button had to be pushed pretty hard to get it to lock but it did. Then the next day I went to unlock it the lock wouldn't disengage. Now I can't open the door at all. I have tried unlocking it from the inside and neither of the handles will open the door either. Kinda tired of climbing in through the passenger side door so help would be awesome.

Czardan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2014, 02:04 PM   #2
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Lots of wd-40 or other lubricant!
mike134 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2014, 04:14 PM   #3
sprngrider
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Are these half doors or full doors? The half door interior panel is a ***** to get off when the door is closed. You have to get in there and clean the connections, and do not use wd40 as a lubricant. It will not lubricate anything. Get everything clean and use superlube on the sliding connections. Your main problem will be to get that door panel off
Unread 08-30-2014, 04:27 PM   #4
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

He needs to spray it in through the locking mechanism with the straw to see if it will loosen up before trying to pull the panel off. It'll be much easier to do a good job of it later if he can first get his immediate problem resolved.

Start small, then get ambitious with the door panel.
Unread 08-30-2014, 04:39 PM   #5
sprngrider
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yes you can try that, but it will only work if that is where the linkage is jammed up. Otherwise, you will be spraying everywhere without knowing what you are shooting at. If it is a full door, just pull the window crank and panel off. If you have not tried this yet, lightly turn your door key back and forth while inserted into the outer lock. Not hard, so you dont break the key. If there is too much resistence, dont continue. If that wont work, try rocking the inner door lock back and forth until it moves freely
Unread 08-31-2014, 07:44 PM   #6
Czardan
1994 YJ Wrangler 

awesome I will have to try that out, I just got back from a camping trip so that on for tomorrow. Also sadly it is a half door.
Thanks Guys
Unread 09-02-2014, 02:17 AM   #7
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

the lock isn't sealed though... should be able to shoot lubricant around the pins and tumbler into the rest of the mechanism.

Also, like sprngrdr suggests, very gently rock the key back and forth and pull it in and out after shooting the lube in there... that'll work it all over the place inside.
Unread 09-02-2014, 10:45 AM   #8
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Locks? On the doors?

Wow.

I have one lock on the tailgate, but someone lost the key a couple of decades ago.
WDNewman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2014, 10:52 AM   #9
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Pick up a slim jim. Should have one around anyway.

http://www.clksupplies.com/shop/30-e...im-p-1048.html
Unread 09-05-2014, 02:43 PM   #10
Czardan
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Ok so I have tried rocking the key after shooting some in and nothing is moving. I am worried that I am going to have to take the door apart and manually unlock it. What is the best way??
Unread 09-05-2014, 03:25 PM   #11
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

you should be able to unscrew the interior door handle (one screw) and pull it out enough to release the plastic clips that actuate the lock and handle. Once you have the interior door handle off, use the rods to unlock the door. If that doesn't work, you'll need to pull the panel off the door to get at the bits near the lock.
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35 -Busted Knuckles Yellow Jeep Club #91
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost" 4" RE Lift 1" BL 33s

TJ FOR SALE
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2014, 03:33 PM   #12
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Probably have to remove the seat to get the panel off
Unread 09-05-2014, 10:27 PM   #13
Steve707
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Have you tried a slim jim?
Steve707 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2014, 12:28 AM   #14
whiteyj1994
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Don't bother with a slim Jim there isn't a way into the door cavity of a half door and spraying the lock won't do much good since it has a back on it you'll only get a drop or two to run down a rod if your lucky. Remove the one screw holding the interior handle cup in place , locate the rod for the lock an work it back and forth. This will unlock the door without risking damage or breaking a key. When the door is open carefully remove the panel by prying under each retaining clip with forked panel tool or a thin flathead screwdriver. Your problem is more than likely at the latch itself, the grease becomes gummed up with dirt and dust over the years. You can use wd-40 or preferably Pb blaster to loosen it up but when it's loose clean it with a shop rag or blue towel and give it a good coat of lithium grease. Wd-40 is NOT a lubricant I don't care what the can says. Hope that helps you , let is know how it turns out.
Unread 09-06-2014, 08:58 AM   #15
ckruzer
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Ok wow. No need for al that. Simple undo the top half of the panel. Slide your hand in and feel the two metal bars that go from interior lock/handle to the locking mech. One bar is the lock and one is the striker release. Simple pick one and push/pull towards front of jeep. Now try opening door.

Happens all the time in YJ.

Amc made those aluminum rods too perfectly. In mine I had to slightly bend the rod slightly so as to shorten its total length.
ckruzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.