Door handles and locks - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Door handles and locks

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 12-02-2001, 10:29 PM   #1
rustyraven

Door handles and locks

I just purchased a used 1993 Wrangler with a soft top. Everything is great except that I can not open the passager side door, both the inside and outside handles move but the door will not open!
My questions are:
1. What is the problem?
2. Can I take off the inside panel with the door closed?
Thank You for your time. Rusty

rustyraven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2001, 08:09 AM   #2
Newfie

You prolly don't need to remove the door panel, just the interior handle (one torx head screw, T20 I think). Pull both of the steel rods that you see forward and the door should unlock/open (they look the same). Most likely what has happened is that the plastic retainer that holds the rods to the interior handle have broken and the door is locked (hence it won't open from the outside either). If they are broken, just replace them and buy extras if you live in a cold climate (they freeze and break).
Unread 12-03-2001, 10:22 AM   #3
helter

where can you buy these? I have mine fixed with DUCK TAPE and this prevents me from unlocking the door with they key( I think there's too much tape in there - preventing it from moving far enough to unlock) - do you have a part number? I went to a Jeep Dealer for this and they sold me a whole new door handle for like $46 the first time this happened - all I needed was the little plastic clip.
Unread 12-03-2001, 05:29 PM   #4
Newfie

Got some from a scrap yard that had a bunch of Jeep doors that were rusted out, but the clips were intact. Thinking that the next time they break, I'll make something out of steel (they should have made them from steel in the factory).
Unread 12-04-2001, 01:11 AM   #5
Mister W

Dealer, if it's the same thing as me, is the little plastik part that old the rod to the inner lock thing.Clear isn't it!!!
I bought one at the dealer, it's in metal, os it's stronger, and it cost me 5$ canadian(about 2.75 us $).
Mister W is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2001, 04:53 AM   #6
helter

Can you give me your dealer information or a part number for the metal clip -again- my dealer here sold me the whole inside door handle(the b*stard)

Metal ones

Helter
Unread 12-04-2001, 08:37 AM   #7
Mister W

I got no number for that. If it's the 90deg plastik piece that's fit in the inside locker and the other end snap to the rod, it's the same as mine. So i brought the broken tiny plastik part to the dealer and he show me a replacement one in plastik\copper(that what i called metal, not sure on the grammar).
Hope i'll help.
Mister W is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2001, 11:25 AM   #8
Signman

E-mail me (signman@magi.com)
You can send me your addy and i'll GIVE you one.......have a few spares kickin around.

Cheers,
Ashley

I love my Country,
It's the Government I'm afraid of!
Signman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.