door custom lock mechanism fix - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > door custom lock mechanism fix

Bilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJ

Unread 01-14-2008, 07:02 AM   #1
jeepwrnglr92
2013 JK Wrangler 

door custom lock mechanism fix

So I took the heep out for a drive and got home just before th rain so I decided to do some work on my 1/2 doors since I could not tinker on the heep itself in the rain.

I have 2 half doors that were on another Jeep that was damaged in a fire. What I am about to describe is for how to make the lock work without buying factory parts and are for doors that will never see uppers. I only plan to uses these off roading or when the occasional passenger has to have a door. I like doorless.

I will post pictures when I have completed the project. Jeep is not with me now.

I have 2 doors I am doing this to so everything is x2

Carriage head bolt approx 6” long and 7/16 but you can decide what thickness you want to use. Bolt does not have to be that big. I used the carriage head because it is smooth and looks nicer than the hexcap.

2 flat washers big enough to just allow the bolt to go threw with out flopping about.
I was going to use 2 bigger ones with a rubber insert but found this not to be needed.

2 picture hook hangers. Heavy duty ones (ill post pictures of the parts later on in the week. )

Like I said my doors were fire damaged and the insides were gutted. I will be filling the hole where the key and the handle go with some stock and grinding smooth when complete so the door will have a flush look from the out side.

Drill a hole in the opening that is to the rear of the door where the soft window would go in. There is a little pocket that works out great to put a rod in. The hole should be just slightly bigger than the bolt you are using so it can move up and down freely.

Now you can do a few things here. When you put the bolt in you could use a spring and a nut to help it return to the up position but I found by closing the door this really is not needed. It will spring back up in the locked position so you really do not need this. But it is an option.

On the inside of the door is 2 loop like mechanisms that the factory rods tie to used to open the lock. You need to see how far down the actuator goes to know where to weld the bolt to the picture hook. Now there may be another way to do this but since I have a welder I did it this way.

The washer sits flat on the top of the door lip above the hole you just drilled. Weld this in place. Slide the bolt in and position the picture hanger hook inside of the door latch. This will intersect the bolt making a T. Mine was like an 1/2 inch above the door may be less. Approximate how much travel it has so you know where to weld the hook to the bolt. Now weld it in place and when you push on the bolt it will move the lock down unlocking the door. When you close the door it will force the lock up and the bolt back in position to be unlocked.

Trim off the excess material from the bolt and picture hook if you want.

I cut the washer down and ground it flush for a smoother look. Paint and you are done.

Unread 01-14-2008, 12:28 PM   #2
blue1989yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a good idea. I will wait for the pics when you are finished.
Unread 01-14-2008, 02:28 PM   #3
jbars
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Call me dense, but I am trying to figure out why you would want a lock on a half door with now uppers? What kind of dummy is not going to be able to break into your jeep with no uppers??
jbars is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2008, 02:33 PM   #4
YJ Rider
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbars
Call me dense, but I am trying to figure out why you would want a lock on a half door with now uppers? What kind of dummy is not going to be able to break into your jeep with no uppers??
It may keep the 1/2 doors from walking off....
Unread 01-14-2008, 03:22 PM   #5
BlackRhino
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJ Rider
It may keep the 1/2 doors from walking off....
Exactly.
Unread 01-14-2008, 06:03 PM   #6
jeepwrnglr92
2013 JK Wrangler 

Well may be lock is not the right word. Mine were so damaged you could not open them with out reaching in and moving the inner latch. Risking reaching in and possible cutting yourself on the sharp edges etc. So I modded mine so the could be opened.
Unread 01-16-2008, 05:35 PM   #7
jeepwrnglr92
2013 JK Wrangler 

OK here are a few pictures. I'll try to take some more when i do the other door.

Unread 01-16-2008, 05:48 PM   #8
jaw41272
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Looks like it'll work pretty good, my only concern would be accidentally opening door while wheelin, when you unintentionally lean on the bolt.
I find that I use that part of my half doors as as arm rest.
91 Sahara 4.0l Operation Welcome Home Parade Veh #69
PARADE JEEP MEMBER #1Auto posi-lok equipped, 4" susp. lift
K&N Drop in and loaded with battle scars
www.americaisfull.com
FOR SALE 2005 PT CRUISER CONVERTIBLE
2005 Suzuki DRZ400S For SALE
jaw41272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2008, 06:26 PM   #9
blue1989yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I think you need to pull up the bolt to open, not push down...
Unread 01-16-2008, 08:45 PM   #10
jaw41272
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwrnglr92

Now you can do a few things here. When you put the bolt in you could use a spring and a nut to help it return to the up position but I found by closing the door this really is not needed. It will spring back up in the locked position so you really do not need this. But it is an option.
Now weld it in place and when you push on the bolt it will move the lock down unlocking the door. When you close the door it will force the lock up and the bolt back in position to be unlocked.

Trim off the excess material from the bolt and picture hook if you want.

I cut the washer down and ground it flush for a smoother look. Paint and you are done.
Based on what he said here , push down to open
91 Sahara 4.0l Operation Welcome Home Parade Veh #69
PARADE JEEP MEMBER #1Auto posi-lok equipped, 4" susp. lift
K&N Drop in and loaded with battle scars
www.americaisfull.com
FOR SALE 2005 PT CRUISER CONVERTIBLE
2005 Suzuki DRZ400S For SALE
jaw41272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2008, 07:28 AM   #11
jeepwrnglr92
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw41272

yes push down. The lock mechanism moves down to open so the rod has to go down.

There was no other place this lined up on the money for what i wanted to do.
Unread 01-17-2008, 01:30 PM   #12
sam.b.
1998 TJ Wrangler 

pretty cool
if you want it to go up instead of down just cut it lower than the door top and run a pulley w/ a cable and hook it up to a latch so you have to pull up not push down

but still good a fix though
www.kifourwheelers.com << Louisville Ky. based 4x4 club
sam.b. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2008, 01:47 PM   #13
blue1989yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw41272
When I read it a second time, you are obviously correct.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.