Door Adjustment - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Door Adjustment

Bilstein Blowout Sale - 4 5100 Series Shocks $309.99 shippSALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-LoPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 01-23-2011, 03:57 PM   #1
eess
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Door Adjustment

Hard half doors
My drivers door won't latch completely without standing outside and slamming with both hands. When closed normally it latches in the 'safety' position, stays closed but rattles. Back of door stands out from the body more at the top than at the bottom as if it were slightly twisted.

Is there adjustment available and is it in the strike or the latch or somehow in the hinges? I haven't been able to move either.

Thanks

Last edited by eess; 01-23-2011 at 04:00 PM.. Reason: Add info
eess is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2011, 04:32 PM   #2
dadstoy
1995 YJ Wrangler 

There is adjustment in the hinges. Loosen the bolts on body hinges. The last ones I adjusted in my dad's rig, we used my hi-lift, 2x4's and two set of hands. We were not able to do anything with the strikers.
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2011, 04:38 PM   #3
muddy93
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

You can adjust the door side of the hinges, as well as the lower body side hinge. You can also adjust the striker bolt(on the tub). the best procedure is to loosen the striker bolt, and adjust the door to the body. then, once the door fits the tub opening, adjust the striker bolt.
Unread 01-23-2011, 05:45 PM   #4
eess
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy93 View Post
You can adjust the door side of the hinges, as well as the lower body side hinge. You can also adjust the striker bolt(on the tub). the best procedure is to loosen the striker bolt, and adjust the door to the body. then, once the door fits the tub opening, adjust the striker bolt.
Does the striker bolt just unscrew in the normal fashion? When I try to turn it it moves about 1/8 of a turn then refuses to go any farther. Should I apply more force or will I break something?
Unread 01-23-2011, 05:49 PM   #5
eess
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Does the hinge adjustment give only up and down movement or can make the back edge of the door move in and out? The rear edge of my door is good for up and down but it sticks out past the face of the tub at the top.
Unread 01-23-2011, 06:42 PM   #6
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eess View Post
Does the striker bolt just unscrew in the normal fashion? When I try to turn it it moves about 1/8 of a turn then refuses to go any farther. Should I apply more force or will I break something?
I used a pipe wrench and a piece of rubber to grip on it. It has loc-tite on the threads so it wont move easily... You shouldnt break the striker by turning it... no guarantee on the torx though.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2011, 07:29 PM   #7
Downhole
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I adjusted mine today. First check the striker bolt and see if your door is hitting on it. That was my problem. I took the entire bolt assembly off the tub and took the striker bolt completely out. Reason is if you try to adjust it in while on the tub you are working the torque on the two rivets that hold the bolt into the housing and could break one or both. After you remove the bolt assembly use a crescent or other wrench on the inside of the housing and back the bolt completely out, clean out the hardened Loktite and replace it with new then remove one of the spacer washers and replace the bolt hand tight in assembly and one the tub. Now you can adjust it as needed.
Downhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2011, 07:36 PM   #8
yj98joe
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Use some heat on the striker, it will help with the locktight. I had to twist my drivers door a bit to make it sit flush. But the better the door sits in the opening the more it will be flush to the outsided ,due to the way the jamb is formed.
yj98joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2011, 06:57 AM   #9
muddy93
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eess View Post
Does the hinge adjustment give only up and down movement or can make the back edge of the door move in and out? The rear edge of my door is good for up and down but it sticks out past the face of the tub at the top.

Door hinges give you up/down, and front/back adjustment.
The only part that will give you in/out adjustment is the striker bolt.
HOWEVER, if the door is only sticking out past the tub at the upper rear corner, I'd suspect that either the door or the tub is bent.
Unread 01-25-2011, 12:53 PM   #10
eess
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Door hinges give you up/down, and front/back adjustment.
The only part that will give you in/out adjustment is the striker bolt.
HOWEVER, if the door is only sticking out past the tub at the upper rear corner, I'd suspect that either the door or the tub is bent.
Thanks for confirming what I thought I was looking at - that there is no way for the hinges to provide in/out adjustment like there is on a standard jamb mounted hinge and also confirming my thoughts that the door is slightly twisted.
Guess it's time for the big block of wood wedged between the bottom of the door and the sill while I throw myself against the door top
Unread 09-03-2011, 12:43 PM   #11
joeclark_1986

Hmm...Worst case scenario, you can just buy the replacement strikers. I will try to adjust mine tonite.
joeclark_1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2011, 06:31 PM   #12
brentd711
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Check for a bent hinge if your door doesn't close flush to the tub. The lower hinge on my driver's door was bent out away from the door and was a beast to get closed.
brentd711 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.