Doing 4.0 Swap Now..... Need Help Now !!! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Doing 4.0 Swap Now..... Need Help Now !!!

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 01-13-2010, 02:23 PM   #16
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry this just hit me not sure it would come into play here. Is there a purple and white twist pair of wires going in and from the bulk head connector on xj wiring harness? I never could figure them out. So I tied them together purple to purple and white to white. And on the xj wiring harness you might find a resistor that ties into the fuel pump circuit I left mine in.

Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2010, 02:24 PM   #17
cevans87
1992 XJ Cherokee 

thanks guys, am going out to start now will update in a few
cevans87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2010, 04:15 PM   #18
cevans87
1992 XJ Cherokee 

yes i have those wires

and i checked the vehicle i pulled everything off of, there is no resistor
Unread 01-13-2010, 06:29 PM   #19
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

if you look close to where the ECM do you have dark green with black trace and dark green with a brown trace that have been joined together? This might have been buried into the wiring harness it would be between the bulkhead connector and the ECM.

Hey I have a wiring diagram that I could email you. If you send me a email addy.
Unread 01-13-2010, 08:47 PM   #20
cevans87
1992 XJ Cherokee 

ok update

i hooked up the old right side bulkhead connector and guess what, I have headlights... I think I got another bum headlight switch because I have no guage or park lights, but everything works if I jump the wires.... thanks autozone for your mexican crap...

I also traced down the fuse block power problem to 1 of 2 things... small guage black with white stripe, and small guage red with black stripe on left bulkhead connector were left disconnected after I got agrivated and cut every wire at the bulkhead to find out why everything was hot... the other thing is i had blown 40amp fuse in the PDC for alt. power so don't know which one fixed it... guessing the black and red wire...

I still have nothing to the starter from the ignition but have a game plan for tomorrow. I'm going to take a jump lead from the battery and run it around the the ignition switch and hit each wire untill the starter lights up (starter is not hooked up, i'm volt testing the wire)... sounds pretty good huh ?

so as it stand right now, tomorrow I'm going to get a new headlight switch, tighten down the cps (still loose after seeing if the bolts would thread), get about 3 feet of fuel line, and figure out how and where to mount the fuel pump and filter, any suggestions, with pictures would help.

so,tomorrow along with maybe a six pack (haven't decided) should be the day i get this monster starter.

also, i haven't cut anything other than ecm power, and switch power and I have all guages working... fuel, volts, water, and oil

after i get it starter, i will beauty it up a little and run a tach wire from the guage to the coil.

also I will be finishing this post with a full and complete write up, because I did so much research before jumping into this and even though it hasn't been quite a week since I started, I have found a lot out that I didn't know before that was never mentioned in any 4.0 swap writeup, and would have helped before I started.

Still need to find the fuel pump wires, and get power to the ignition... but for as mix matched as the engine is, I'm very satisfied so far.

Again

1988 Jeep YJ
4.2 was swaped to 4.0 but he kept the carb and intake
I have now gone to full FI.

88 YJ
88 Peug BA-10 with Factory CPS
88 NP 231
93 XJ Engine
94 Harness, ECM, and PDC
2001 Intake and Power Steering Pump

Last edited by cevans87; 01-13-2010 at 09:01 PM..
Unread 01-14-2010, 05:34 PM   #21
cevans87
1992 XJ Cherokee 

ok, i'm stumped... really need help

i have power at the ignition switch, power to the ecm

no power to starter, or relay from ignition

i can catch the yellow wire at the pdc, and jump it and get pwer from the relay, if i put the relay back in and do the same thing i get nothing... i've tried several different relays

also with power to the ecm... i have no power at the coil

so wtf... i'm lost agrivated and i have to get this thing on the road... someone help me please !!!!!!!!!
Unread 01-14-2010, 07:11 PM   #22
cevans87
1992 XJ Cherokee 

ok so i have the starter relay working.... the nss needed to be grounded....

to do this... on the back passenger side of the engine the difference is night and day.... literally there is a black plug and a white plug...

on the black one... look on the plug each wire has a letter on it... you need to take a female wire connector an connect b and c... i will post pictures later but works wondefully

i still need to get power from ignition switch to the relay... any help ?

also i have no power at the coil... do you only get power at the coil with the motor running? i know the cps picks up the signal for timing and spark... but shouldn't i have 9-12v at the coil with the ignition in the on position?

how do i get power to the coil?

i'm using an aftermarket coil...

it has + and -

do i just need a switched 12v source to the coil and a ground to get spark ?
Unread 01-14-2010, 08:07 PM   #23
cevans87
1992 XJ Cherokee 

ok well doesn't seem like i'm getting any help so i'm going to update... someone please help

when i turn my get to start i get nothing... when i release the key it kicks the starter relay and then it kicks off, when it clicks on i have power to the coil, when it kicks off, the power vanishes from the coil at the same time...

why would it not do anything in start but once released to the on position... give momentary power to starter and coil?
Unread 01-14-2010, 09:22 PM   #24
cevans87
1992 XJ Cherokee 

ok new update yet again....

when i turn the key nothing happens... when i start nothing happens...

when i release from start i get a bump from the starter and momentar power at the coil...

when i jump power to the computer the exact same thing happens... i get a bump from the starter and momentary power from the computer...

can anyone tell me wtf is goin on ?
Unread 01-14-2010, 09:28 PM   #25
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Ok
here yellow ( heavy ) wire coming from the firewall connector is you ignition + wire from the key switch.
green wire is your starter relay wire this wire goes to the yellow wire to the PDC
Red is the hot going inside that connects to the heavy red wire from the PDC.
You should have a brown wire that comes from the PDC that goes straight to the small terminal on the starter.

I used the wiring diagram that I sent you and the one for 88 from a Chilton CD manual. If you are not able to follow the two then I'm sorry there is not going a way for me ( us ) to help. Because at this point I have no way of knowing what you have cut and what you have left alone any more.

Please can you tell me what you have done to what the original wiring harness from the xj. Like what wires you have cut and what you have wired.

what I posted for you is where you should have started
Unread 01-14-2010, 09:33 PM   #26
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Oh check your fuses inside in the fuse box.
Unread 01-14-2010, 09:51 PM   #27
cevans87
1992 XJ Cherokee 

the only wres that have been modified are as follows....

yellow wire from xj harness ---> green wire yj harness

blue wire from xj harness ---> 12v source

b+c tied together @ nss to make computer think its in park

I have cut the coil wires and ran to new accel coil

I have replace the ignition switch - twice
Unread 01-14-2010, 09:58 PM   #28
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Gee now I see your problem you don't have any power going inside. If you look in the xj wiring harness you will find a heavy RED wire that goes to the HEAVY red wire on the yj side. Do you still have the original coil? if so put it until you get it to run then you can try the other coil.
Unread 01-14-2010, 10:30 PM   #29
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

You did adjust the ignition switch when you replaced it, right ?
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2010, 11:04 PM   #30
cevans87
1992 XJ Cherokee 

thanks for all th help dodger ans jsawduste

ok i now can turn the key and kick the starter relay...

i'm am trying to trace down the ignition run wire now to give power to the coil

i traced my yj harness to a yellow wire for run... correct me if i'm wrong

on the xj side of the bulkhead it comes to a purple/ white stripe

same guage wire - heavy

so i'm going through diagrams looking for this purple wire... does anyone know what color the xj ignition run wire should be ?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.