Doesn't like starting "fuel pump?" - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Doesn't like starting "fuel pump?"

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here

Unread 10-15-2001, 11:24 AM   #1
jmsjeep

Doesn't like starting "fuel pump?"

Most of the time I need to pump the gas pedal to get it to start, without pumping it just keeps turning over and spuddering. Runs fine once it starts.

I have a throttle body injection system

'89 YJ 4 banger all stock, replacing all the worn out guts first, 97 grand cherokee limited
jmsjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2001, 10:08 AM   #2
jmsjeep

I'm thinking about changing the fuel pump, not the quickest job. So if this does not make since please advise me.

'89 YJ 4 banger all stock, replacing all the worn out guts first, 97 grand cherokee limited
jmsjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2001, 01:33 PM   #3
AJ

You're not providing a whole lot of info there. I'd check your fuel pressure and make sure that the pump is pressurizing the system prior to starting the engine. Pumping a fuel injection system doesn't do anything as far as introducing gas into the engine as there is no accelerator pump like in a carb. That's why you can't flood an injected engine. What it probably is doing is telling the computer that it's under throttle and
making it inject fuel. Check your tps to make sure it's in good repair, although a bad tps usually make for rough idle and poor power.
AJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.