Does your '88 have an accessory position? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Does your '88 have an accessory position?

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 06-24-2013, 02:58 PM   #1
bpounds
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Does your '88 have an accessory position?

My '88 owners manual speaks of an accessory position on the ignition switch, but mine won't turn past the locked position. Wondering if maybe they don't have it. My Wrangler is probably the most base model. No door locks, etc.

Should it have it? Should I try harder and force it? Take the column apart?

bpounds is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 03:00 PM   #2
baritone_mike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Mine has off, then a click forward is the ignition on, then one more forward starts the jeep. If you push in then turn the key towards you from the off position it is the accessory position.

I would assume mine is absolute base model, 4 banger, no center console, soft top, and half doors with no locks, I don't even think it had full carpet in it. The only option in it that I can think of is an ash tray and cigarette lighter (which may have been standard?)
Unread 06-24-2013, 03:05 PM   #3
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Accessory is the same as on. Nothing is broken mine does the same. No traditional accessory past off.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 03:09 PM   #4
baritone_mike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerchief462 View Post
Accessory is the same as on. Nothing is broken mine does the same. No traditional accessory past off.
So is mine broken? I have an accessory position, I use it every day to listen to the radio in the parking lot. Push in and turn one click towards you from off.
Unread 06-24-2013, 03:34 PM   #5
bpounds
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

My ignition pushes inward, like I would expect it to do for accessory. But it refuses to turn, and I don't want to break something that might be working normally.

So we're still not sure.
Unread 06-24-2013, 03:45 PM   #6
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Wranglers have accessory position. ON is NOT the same. In the "ON" position, the ICM is powered up. You will burn up your ICM if you leave the power on it, not running, for more than a minut or so.

If you can't get to the acc spot, your lock is worn out or the ignition switch is out of adjustment.
Unread 06-24-2013, 04:46 PM   #7
baritone_mike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpounds View Post
My ignition pushes inward, like I would expect it to do for accessory. But it refuses to turn, and I don't want to break something that might be working normally.

So we're still not sure.
I am 100% sure a 88 Wrangler has an accessory position.

Have you tried jiggling the key around a little? The ignition may be worn and the key is not in the right place?
Unread 06-24-2013, 05:29 PM   #8
bpounds
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by baritone_mike View Post
I am 100% sure a 88 Wrangler has an accessory position.

Have you tried jiggling the key around a little? The ignition may be worn and the key is not in the right place?
Yeah, I've wiggled it every which way. I guess I will have to open up the column and take a look. I might just replace the lock cylinder, because the key is in pretty bad shape. Thanks for all the replies.
Unread 07-15-2013, 06:52 PM   #9
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I didn't know the ACC position was there. Went out and gave it a shot and it works.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.