JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   Does your '88 have an accessory position? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/does-your-88-have-accessory-position-1540794/)

bpounds 06-24-2013 02:58 PM

Does your '88 have an accessory position?

My '88 owners manual speaks of an accessory position on the ignition switch, but mine won't turn past the locked position. Wondering if maybe they don't have it. My Wrangler is probably the most base model. No door locks, etc.

Should it have it? Should I try harder and force it? Take the column apart?

baritone_mike 06-24-2013 03:00 PM

Mine has off, then a click forward is the ignition on, then one more forward starts the jeep. If you push in then turn the key towards you from the off position it is the accessory position.

I would assume mine is absolute base model, 4 banger, no center console, soft top, and half doors with no locks, I don't even think it had full carpet in it. The only option in it that I can think of is an ash tray and cigarette lighter (which may have been standard?)

jokerchief462 06-24-2013 03:05 PM

Accessory is the same as on. Nothing is broken mine does the same. No traditional accessory past off.

baritone_mike 06-24-2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jokerchief462 (Post 15601799)
Accessory is the same as on. Nothing is broken mine does the same. No traditional accessory past off.

So is mine broken? I have an accessory position, I use it every day to listen to the radio in the parking lot. Push in and turn one click towards you from off.

bpounds 06-24-2013 03:34 PM

My ignition pushes inward, like I would expect it to do for accessory. But it refuses to turn, and I don't want to break something that might be working normally.

So we're still not sure.

Old4X 06-24-2013 03:45 PM

Wranglers have accessory position. ON is NOT the same. In the "ON" position, the ICM is powered up. You will burn up your ICM if you leave the power on it, not running, for more than a minut or so.

If you can't get to the acc spot, your lock is worn out or the ignition switch is out of adjustment.

baritone_mike 06-24-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bpounds (Post 15601903)
My ignition pushes inward, like I would expect it to do for accessory. But it refuses to turn, and I don't want to break something that might be working normally.

So we're still not sure.

I am 100% sure a 88 Wrangler has an accessory position.

Have you tried jiggling the key around a little? The ignition may be worn and the key is not in the right place?

bpounds 06-24-2013 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baritone_mike (Post 15602153)
I am 100% sure a 88 Wrangler has an accessory position.

Have you tried jiggling the key around a little? The ignition may be worn and the key is not in the right place?

Yeah, I've wiggled it every which way. I guess I will have to open up the column and take a look. I might just replace the lock cylinder, because the key is in pretty bad shape. Thanks for all the replies.

Michaelgoesrawr 07-15-2013 06:52 PM

I didn't know the ACC position was there. Went out and gave it a shot and it works.

The time now is 02:59 PM.