Does my YJ exhaust have a donut gasket - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Does my YJ exhaust have a donut gasket

RCI FUEL CELL BRACKET - Perfect for the back of your JeepARTEC LABOR DAY SALE - 15% offNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 02-23-2007, 05:56 PM   #1
howellru

Does my YJ exhaust have a donut gasket

So it warmed up enough down here to finally go topless. In doing so I noticed for the first time my exhaust is farting something aweful. My mechanic friend said I likely needed to replace the donut gasket at the exhause manifold.

So, I called my local O'riely's parts store and they have no listing to a donut gasket on my 4.2L. Is that true? The exhaust bolts directly to manifold w/out any sort of gasket? I haven't had a chance to dixconnect the exhaust line, but was thinking/hoping maybe there was some universal gasket available so I dont have to involve an exhast shop.

Look forward to hearing back from you guys, cause me not like to fart around town.

'89 YJ Wrangler, 4.2L, MC2100 Nutted Carburator
howellru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2007, 06:17 PM   #2
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Nope.. no gasket. I have to retorque the nuts every so often.
Unread 02-23-2007, 06:20 PM   #3
Kimoscout

Same thing here on my 87, reassess...retorque. No donuts.
Kimoscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2007, 06:38 PM   #4
Think

same thing on my 2.5. I thought the donut was gone too, and I hate exhaust work, so it took it to the shop. like 20 bucks later, I learned the bolts come undone every so often.

[COLOR="YellowGreen"]I'm not a vegetarian because I like animals, I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants[/COLOR]
Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2007, 05:48 AM   #5
VT2BAD4U
1990 YJ Wrangler 

May want to check the pulse air tube that is attached to the down pipe, they tend to rot off too.
VT2BAD4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2007, 08:32 AM   #6
howellru

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT2BAD4U
May want to check the pulse air tube that is attached to the down pipe, they tend to rot off too.
The pulse air tube rotted off last year any I've clipped it off behind the transmission and plugged it to muffle the noise. I've thought about running an new exhaust from the manifold back. Nothing fancy; pipe, not cat, and a cheap muffler. Anyone have an idea what that'd run me?

Unread 02-25-2007, 09:18 AM   #7
howellru

So I tackled my exhaust yesterday and after dousing the bolts with Freeze Off penetrant http://www.crcindustries.com/marine/...x?PN=05002&S=Y I finally got one to snug up pretty tight. Unfortunately I couldn't get to the innet nut. It's blocked too much by the pulse air tube to get anything other that a wrench over it. And, i couldn't apply any torque worth a darn to it with just a wrench. What do you guys use to tighten that inner nut?

Looking on the brighter side, my Jeep's farting is cut in half. Still, it's sort of hard to exude coolness cruising around town in a farter, even if it's half as loud as it was before.

Unread 02-25-2007, 09:38 AM   #8
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I used a 9/16 socket on my 24" extension and was able to get it laying under the heep. I pulled it all off yesterday and crimped off the air tube hook up on the down pipe and cat. A swivel socket can get in there. I just gotta finish welding up the joint to the rusted off cat flange and mine will be nice and quiet. A new exhaust front to rear is up comming this spring.
Unread 02-26-2007, 03:47 PM   #9
howellru

I was thinking a swivel head may be the only way to get there. I was thinking of cutting off the pulse air tube at the manifold. It broke off a while back where it crosses the transmission. I wasn't sure I could plug the hole though and would still be farting.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.