does anybody have a diagram of the vacuum lines for the front axle? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > does anybody have a diagram of the vacuum lines for the front axle?

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 09-23-2008, 03:37 PM   #1
bustemduck

does anybody have a diagram of the vacuum lines for the front axle?

i'm looking for i diagram for the vacuum lines on a 89 wrangler going to the front axle to lock it in.

bustemduck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2008, 03:45 PM   #2
Jim93YJ

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Check out this thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...diagram&page=2
93YJ 4.8L Vortec,AX15,Atlas 4.3:1, 4.56 Gears, Dana 30 w/ Posi-lok,Dana 44 Rear w/ Ox Locker + 99 Explorer Disk Brakes,Tom Woods D. Shafts,1" Body, 2.5" ED RE Lift, 33" BFG KM2 T/A's with MT Classic II Wheels, Herculined Inside, Electric Fan, 20 Gal Tank Conversion,Tuffy Center Console,Warn Front Bumper, Rockhard 4X4 Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier,Bushwacker Extended Flat Fender Flares,AMSoil/Redline In Everything and the List Goes On....

AND...

88YJ 4.2L: Interior and mechanical overhaul including engine replacement, nutter bypass, Weber 34 Carb, and work on a whole bunch of other things to get it back to fine running condition without the emissions control...evap cannister kept functional as well as PCV system, and manifold heater.
Jim93YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2008, 03:45 PM   #3
Richmond88yj
Eat, Sleep, Jeep

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Richmond88yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2011, 05:14 PM   #4
leuenberger4
1988 YJ Wrangler 

is it only the blue vacuum that needs the check valve?
leuenberger4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2011, 06:03 PM   #5
kloppk
1992 YJ Wrangler 

.The diagram above only applies to 1987-1990 YJ's (despite it's title)
1991 -1995 used a slightly different setup. 4x4 switch moved from the firewall to the actuator, vac motor went from a 3 hose system to a 2 hose system.
kloppk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2011, 08:41 AM   #6
leuenberger4
1988 YJ Wrangler 

my jeep is 88 and yeah has 4 vacs from trany where would i start just to check if i got vacuum working? i am a complete noob on this lol all vehicals i had have electric atuator. so here comes some noob questions lol, whats the diff between yj and the tj? ok now that i got that out of the way my atuator had two vacs hooked up but i seen a black one hanging neer it nothing on it, ok ive notice on the actuater that to the passanger out side looked like a vacuum port to it should there be three vacs hooked to it? and the other question is should i be able hand spin that out side atuater that the lines hook to?
Unread 02-05-2011, 08:44 AM   #7
leuenberger4
1988 YJ Wrangler 

oh yeah and to your reply which i do apreciate, it didnt answer the question about the check valves.
Unread 02-05-2011, 10:13 AM   #8
GreggVA
2003 KJ Liberty 

Does the actuator on your axle look like the following:

And the switch on your transfer case look like this:

This would be a vacuum system not an electric system.

The colors and check valves in the diagrams relate directly with the ones in these pictures.

What are you trying to do?
GreggVA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2011, 03:18 PM   #9
leuenberger4
1988 YJ Wrangler 

yes thats exzactly what mine looks like, exept the black one wasnt hooked and the right one isnt atach to any thing just the green and yellow on the two left. so if i can get picks like that where the vacuums should be position in the right spots i can get it figured out. now the actuater or shift motor right where the vaccuum lines hook to, i can hand turn it is that all right or not?
Unread 02-05-2011, 06:12 PM   #10
steelman10
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Do you mean the vacuum switch on the transfer case?
steelman10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2011, 09:26 PM   #11
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Blue one is a vent. It doesn't have a check valve, it might have a filter/water keep out thing (mine didn't though, it had nothing). Diagram is wrong.

The red one (source of vacuum) for the system has a checkvalve at the top to protect the rest of the vacuum system from leaks in the 4x4 system.

There is a check valve between the lock line (yellow) and line to light switch (black on diagram, mine was white) that vents the line to the light switch when you turn off the 4wd so the light goes off.
dancytron is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2011, 12:18 PM   #12
leuenberger4
1988 YJ Wrangler 

steelman

no the one on the actuater, it turns by hand, but i think i found one issue might be causing no vacuum at all and i think its off the exhaust man, there a crack in it at the bottom in the metal tube. that is what makes the vacuum right? that comes off the catalac?
Unread 02-09-2011, 06:49 PM   #13
GreggVA
2003 KJ Liberty 

Any way you could post a picture. The vacuum should come from the intake manifold. The exhaust manifold would have pressure.
GreggVA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2012, 11:11 AM   #14
wranglinman87yj

where does the vacuum source line attatch

I'm having issues with my 87 doing the same thing. could u post a pic of where the red line attaches? The vacuum source line I mean. pretty please
wranglinman87yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2012, 12:30 PM   #15
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmond88yj View Post
This diagram is closer to the 1990 and before, but it doesn't show all the checkvalves. And the blue line has a filter, not a checkvalve.

The correct diagram is
dancytron is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.