Does a 92 YJ Jeep wrangler have a galvanized body? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Does a 92 YJ Jeep wrangler have a galvanized body?

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-09-2013, 09:04 AM   #1
MKwiatkowski
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Does a 92 YJ Jeep wrangler have a galvanized body?

I Have a 92 Jeep Wrangler YJ and it has rust holes on the fenders, inside the wheel wells on the driver side. And a few under the floors pans, I want to fix this myself but I wanna know if these panels are galvanized or not. Anyone know if they are?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

MKwiatkowski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2013, 09:47 AM   #2
bill8bud
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I believe the 95s are the only ones fully galvanized.
bill8bud is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2013, 09:53 AM   #3
MKwiatkowski
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I looked it up in google and got a bunch of different answers so I haven't gotten a straight answer. But if did see majority said the 95s and up are galvanized. Not 100% sure though

Unread 10-09-2013, 09:59 AM   #4
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

the BODY of all wranglers were galvanized.... or at least some sort of zinc coating sufficient to call it "galvanized".
the 95 have the body AND frame galvanized
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2013, 10:42 AM   #5
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

95 was the only year the body and frame were glavanized. They were hot dipped galvanized. In 92 if Iam not mistaken only the frame is galvanized.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2013, 10:52 AM   #6
tom_sprecher
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I think the body or at least certain parts of it were galvanized. When I removed the roll bar, hinges, etc. during the tear-down it sure looked like the unpainted body underneath them was some type of galvanization.
Unread 10-09-2013, 10:53 AM   #7
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

this is one thing I've never understood. If the bodies on our rigs are galvanized, why the hell are so many of them rusted like Mater?

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2013, 11:12 AM   #8
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rproject View Post
this is one thing I've never understood. If the bodies on our rigs are galvanized, why the hell are so many of them rusted like Mater?
Because there's only so much a fast and loose factory galvanization process can do.

My jeep is 19 years old, and has spent its entire life in Chicago, land of overzealous salt trucks. My frame and large portions of my body were both rotted through by cancerous rust. Nothing you can do, really. I tore it down to the frame, welded in new steel everywhere I could, then a nice fresh POR-15 job ought to keep her solid for another ~20 years.
Unread 10-09-2013, 11:15 AM   #9
MKwiatkowski
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I was just thinking about that. A long time ago my dad and I rebuilt a 90 YJ to surprise my grandpa for Father's Day to take up north and I remember it being rusted to **** and he didn't say anything about it being galvanized. But if my 92 is galvanized then why is it so rusted through

Unread 10-09-2013, 11:58 AM   #10
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

IIRC it was only 95s

Sent from underneath my Jeep

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2013, 12:14 PM   #11
bill8bud
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Take a look in the stickies for the stock specs. I believe in 92 they started galvanizing some of the body and 95 had everything galvanized. But I am going off memory here so I could be wrong on the 92s.
bill8bud is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2013, 01:38 PM   #12
MKwiatkowski
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Okay I'll look that up. I bought this thing for 1600 and I didn't get a manual or anything with it. It's in pretty good shape for 1600 only has 147k on the dash original engine and trans no problems with either so its a project

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.