Dodge durango steering box in a YJ - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Dodge durango steering box in a YJ

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 05-03-2013, 06:37 AM   #121
Cyrus1983
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I just did this to my 88 YJ sport and boy I couldn't be happier... Great thread I was able to do my swap using all of the info on this thread...

Unread 10-22-2013, 06:04 AM   #122
superduty59
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_YJ19 View Post
Thought I would share that while looking for a Durango steering box I found another option. It's called the zq8 steering upgrade for s10s and blazers, it is the gear box from the Chevy s10 extreme. It looks exactly like the Durango box but has a z imprinted on it. I got mine out of a gmc Sonoma but they r mainly found on s10's. I have the same amount of turn lock to lock but this box has a much quicker ratio, 12:1 or something like that. My wheel now pulls back to center when a turn n all around seems way smoother. It also only has 3 bolt holes to mount it just the same as the Durango. I'm not sure if the piston is me larger but I no my jeep steers like a car on the road now n I'm very satisfied. 30 bucs at the local pick n pull in my town.
I know this is an older thread but was thinking about doing this swap. It sounds like the S10 extreme box may be a better box then the Durango swap.
superduty59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 07:55 AM   #123
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

It worked for a short period of time but my pump was bad and in turn ruined the s10 extreme box n I could not find another used one. It is the same size bore inside as our stock one(I took it appart) but with a much quicker ratio. It would work very well for street driving and did until my pump but the dust. I ended up using a Durango box and upgrading my pump to one from a WJ 4.7l because is has 500psi higher than all te other stock jeep pumps. Works like a charm, I would def give the extreme one a try if u can find one used, brand new they r a bit pricey...
PA_YJ19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2013, 07:29 PM   #124
WESTBOUND
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Will this power steering mod work on a 4 cylinder YJ? A buddy wants to do this over X-mas break in a month.

I did this mod on my 2001 TJ and I love it. All my Jeeping club has done it. I replaced the pump too along with the hoses and put a power steering cooler and a filter on too. The first power steering gear box I put on started leaking immediately and went down hill too the point of fluid pouring out so I had to replace it. The second Auto Zone 98 Durango gear box has been perfect. They exchanged it without hassle.
WESTBOUND is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2013, 07:40 PM   #125
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Sure will, works on both.
PA_YJ19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2013, 01:26 PM   #126
Benzfrd
1994 YJ Wrangler 

This post is awesome. Will be doing this soon
Benzfrd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2014, 04:51 PM   #127
hottubsplus
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome upgrade. I wish I had heard of this last year before I installed rebuilt stock yj box. Tryed adjusting it to get rid of slop but just never felt good. Did their Durango swap last week and 200% better than stock. Running 35s and feels great.
hottubsplus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2014, 09:52 PM   #128
sardog211
1989 YJ Wrangler 

So I have read this entire thread, what about the one extra bolt that the YJ has that the Durango does not? Does that make a difference support wise? I would really hat to have my steering break or something happen because of a missing bolt. I want to do the mod but want to hear what others did about this.
sardog211 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2014, 07:15 AM   #129
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sardog211 View Post
So I have read this entire thread, what about the one extra bolt that the YJ has that the Durango does not? Does that make a difference support wise? I would really hat to have my steering break or something happen because of a missing bolt. I want to do the mod but want to hear what others did about this.
It's not a concern if you use the 4 bolts. Their is a bracket that goes between the box and frame. That bracket has four bolt holes in it. The YJ box has 4 holes too. The Durango box only has three. You obviously use the 3 for the box, but the trick then is to use a 4th bolt and nut to fill the last hole for the bracket to the frame. The bracket/frame connection is then the same as it was in a stock YJ setup.

I also chose to add a cross-bar too, from the nose of the box at the pitman to the right side frame rail. It's an easy bolt of a fabbed bar if you also don't have a swab bar and use the sway bars right side bracket.
Unread 05-02-2014, 11:09 AM   #130
cmartyj93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Speaking of the steering box bracket...

I am doing this install after patching the frame in the area of the steering box and I'm trying to reinstall the steering box bracket. There is a small hole in the surface that mounts to the bottom of the frame in addition to the two big bolt holes. Does anyone know what that little hole is for? I want to make sure I don't ignore it and find out much later on that it was important.
Thanks for the help

Here's a pic of what I'm talking about
steering-box-bracket.jpg  
Unread 07-16-2014, 08:51 AM   #131
deogsxr
1995 YJ Wrangler 

will be doing this soon, great thread!
deogsxr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.