Dodge durango steering box in a YJ - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Dodge durango steering box in a YJ

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 08-03-2010, 09:17 AM   #91
brunolinski
1989 YJ Wrangler 

After using the Durango box upgrade for a while now, I am going to switch back to my Jeep steering box. Mine is a DD and I haul a boat every so often on the interstate. The Durango box just creates a little too much responsiveness for my driving.

brunolinski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2010, 05:10 PM   #92
Selafane
2012 JK Wrangler 

yo just came across this which is awsome cause my steering bx took the biggest dump in the planet leaking power steering fluid like crazy!

i literally can turn the wheel all the way to lock on either side hit the gas and go in a circle without me holding the steering wheel lol.

id like to do this upgrade over the weekend but i seen i had to aejust the drag link. can this be done using the stock drag link or do i have to get a special one. if i do i might consider something else. however, if i dont have to purchase a different drag link how does one go about shortening it? i heard it was pretty easy. i appreciate the excellent writeup as well so i thank you for that
Selafane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2011, 09:56 PM   #93
Renegade88
2006 LJ Wrangler 

good write up i may be doing this soon.

PanhandlePierFishing.com
Renegade88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2011, 01:08 PM   #94
Dwayne93YJ
Damn YJ...

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I did mine last weekend, got one out of a 99 Durango. My stock box started going and was creating a "death wobble". I love the response, but I have to say right now mine has a little play in it. Probably just an adjustment. I am not worried about it considering I am changing out my front axle and steering with a D60 and high steer. For anyone who is considering this or needs to change their steering box, I highly recommend it!

Dwayne
1993 YJ Titan 4.7L Stroker, 63MM Throttle body & Spacer, AX15, NP231, 1" Body, 0" SOA Alcan Spring Lift, 1" Skyjacker Boomerang Shackles, ARB Lockers, '79 Ford Dana 60 Axles w/ kingpin front, SYE & Tom Woods Drive Shafts, 37" Super Swampers, Airaid Air Dam, Tuffy everything, Warn Front and Rear Bumper w/ tire carrier, Metal Cloak Arched Tube Fenders w/ 6" Flares, Dual Optima Yellow Top Batteries, Poison Spyder Customs Trail Cage, Metal Cloak Rockers, 4 sets of KC Highlights, etc...(check my profile for more)
Dwayne93YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2011, 01:41 AM   #95
MrPoot
1994 YJ Wrangler 

My stock box keeps making puddles after I had to flat tow it last weekend through trails and then on the highway for about 100 miles. So quick question, is the stock box serviceable or should I just go ahead and go theough with this swap? Even before it was leaking, I had a bit more play than I wanted and I thought it was my lack of steering stabilizer, I guess the box was just on its way out the door.

Also, is the JB4x4 bracket NECESSARY, or is it more of an added precaution that I can intall later?
MrPoot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2011, 07:05 AM   #96
Dwayne93YJ
Damn YJ...

1993 YJ Wrangler 

My vote is for you to do it. I didnt use the JB4x4 bracket as I am going through a D30/35 to D60/D60 axle swap. Maybe others can chime in if it is needed or recommended. I got my box for $75 from a local junk yard. Good luck.

Dwayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPoot View Post
My stock box keeps making puddles after I had to flat tow it last weekend through trails and then on the highway for about 100 miles. So quick question, is the stock box serviceable or should I just go ahead and go theough with this swap? Even before it was leaking, I had a bit more play than I wanted and I thought it was my lack of steering stabilizer, I guess the box was just on its way out the door.

Also, is the JB4x4 bracket NECESSARY, or is it more of an added precaution that I can intall later?
1993 YJ Titan 4.7L Stroker, 63MM Throttle body & Spacer, AX15, NP231, 1" Body, 0" SOA Alcan Spring Lift, 1" Skyjacker Boomerang Shackles, ARB Lockers, '79 Ford Dana 60 Axles w/ kingpin front, SYE & Tom Woods Drive Shafts, 37" Super Swampers, Airaid Air Dam, Tuffy everything, Warn Front and Rear Bumper w/ tire carrier, Metal Cloak Arched Tube Fenders w/ 6" Flares, Dual Optima Yellow Top Batteries, Poison Spyder Customs Trail Cage, Metal Cloak Rockers, 4 sets of KC Highlights, etc...(check my profile for more)
Dwayne93YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2011, 07:56 AM   #97
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'm not sure which JB bracket you mention, if their are more than one. I have their hi-steer bracket for the D30, have had it for years. Even though on opposite ends of the same rod, to me the two mods are unrelated. The gearbox is all about replacing a bad part with a better one. The bracket is just to correct steering rod angle issues associated with a SOA or other tall lift.
Unread 06-02-2011, 12:36 PM   #98
MrPoot
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
The bracket is just to correct steering rod angle issues associated with a SOA or other tall lift.
I am SOA, but I'm currently running the RRO histeer kit bringing angles back to stock. I probably will add that bracket, but probably just not right away. Thanks!
Unread 06-02-2011, 12:52 PM   #99
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I am SOA, but I'm currently running the RRO histeer kit bringing angles back to stock. I probably will add that bracket, but probably just not right away. Thanks!
If you already have the RRO OTT kit installed, there would be no need (or place to install it) for the JB bracket unless you are saying you want to remove the RRO kit. IIRC, the JB bracket only moves the drag link attachment point and leaves the tie rod beneath the springs. The JB kit helps correct linkage angles, but really isn't a true high steer set up.

EDIT: Sorry I just went back and read your original post. I didn't help very much with your question, huh? You can buy a rebuild kit to replace seals and such in your stock gear box. On the flip side, this Durango swap isn't very expensive, especially if you opt for the JY donor route. Your RRO OTT kit will work just fine with the Durango box, so no need to take it off and use the JB bracket, unless you just want to have that set up versus the high steer you already have.
Unread 06-03-2011, 08:18 PM   #100
YJ-Jer
1994 YJ Wrangler 

FWIW, the cross reference shows

DODGE DAKOTA (1997 - 1999)
DODGE DURANGO (1998 - 1999)
DODGE DURANGO SLT (1998 - 1999)

as cross references so If you want to get one at the junkyard, you have another choice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown
"You know you drive a YJ when you run over a shadow and feel the steering wheel jerk."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
3 Things to know about the forum: Always PB blaster, Always check the FAQ, Always do a search, and if none of that works, ask Mean Max.
YJ-Jer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2011, 01:41 AM   #101
MrPoot
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Hmm, I guess I was just confused as to what the jb bracket is. I was thinking it was an additional bar to help secure the steering box since the durango one uses 3 mounting points instead of the yj 4. I suppose I should read better. :P
Unread 06-06-2011, 08:49 PM   #102
MrPoot
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Well, I tossed the Durango box in. Removal and install went pretty smoothly, and I'm pretty happy with the result. Thanks for the idea guys!
Unread 06-06-2011, 09:22 PM   #103
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Hmm, I guess I was just confused as to what the jb bracket is. I was thinking it was an additional bar to help secure the steering box since the durango one uses 3 mounting points instead of the yj 4. I suppose I should read better. :P
That's the steering brace. Is it necessary because of the 25% decrease in bolt security? Now I know that the responsiveness can be higher with the Durango swap, but how much stronger is it? My stock box isn't holding up to the 35's I've got and I'm hoping this is the cure. '98 Durango w/plow option is closest to stock from what I've read, but is it stronger?
Anticanman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2011, 12:52 AM   #104
madflyer72
2000 TJ Wrangler 

this is an awesome thread. i plan on going to the junkyard 2morrow and picking one up. thanks for the write up
Unread 12-13-2011, 08:24 PM   #105
Bigisland1
1994 YJ Wrangler 

This sounds like a no brainier!.. Sounds like a great solution to tighten up the steering, and will plan on doing this!
Bigisland1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.