Dodge durango steering box in a YJ - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Dodge durango steering box in a YJ

Savvy Aluminum BumpersIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 05-10-2010, 03:09 PM   #76
ritjobbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARLEYX2 View Post
How many people have ripped a Durango box off of the frame because it only has 3 ears?
I've wondered this myself. Bump.

Unread 05-10-2010, 04:06 PM   #77
JeeperDon
Web Wheeler

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
I've wondered this myself. Bump.
I can say in the time I have been on this forum (way too much for too long), there has never (ever) been a report of that. If I recall correctly (have not done the upgrade yet), the box uses a cast bracket between it and the frame, and you reuse the same Jeep bracket. There are two sideways bolts through the frame and bracket and into the box. Then there are two other bolts on a Jeep box and one on a Dur box bolting the box to the bracket. Last, there are two bolts upward through the bracket into the bottom of the frame. So, the frame sees the same four bolts as always.

Last edited by JeeperDon; 05-10-2010 at 05:13 PM..
JeeperDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2010, 04:14 PM   #78
brunolinski
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I second that Don. Haven't heard of a single "ripped off" box. I have one and just to be safe I threw a tack weld on it to make sure nothing wiggled loose. Best steering mod I have made yet!
brunolinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2010, 04:17 PM   #79
HARLEYX2
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I have heard of several that have broke on another board but was wondering everyone heres opinion. Thanks
HARLEYX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2010, 05:15 PM   #80
JeeperDon
Web Wheeler

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARLEYX2 View Post
I have heard of several that have broke on another board but was wondering everyone heres opinion. Thanks
I tend to look around at all the boards and just follow the advice of the one that has the answer I want.
Unread 05-10-2010, 05:16 PM   #81
northjeep
Jeep parking ONLY

1988 YJ Wrangler 

did the mod.

Only 3 bolts.

No bracket that don is talking about on my heep.

I would not trust it without my steering brace (which goes from the pass frame rail to the snout of the box) as I have seen stock boxes with the 4 bolts ripped off.
Unread 05-10-2010, 05:27 PM   #82
JeeperDon
Web Wheeler

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by northjeep View Post
did the mod. Only 3 bolts. No bracket that don is talking about on my heep.
Here it is from the FSM. It does not show all the bolts in the pic, but two go through frame and two into frame from below. This particular box shows 3 box ears like a Durango. The 'adapter' allows for four. It looks like the upper rear through bolt would hit no box tab, so I'd put a nut on it to hold the adapter on with 4 bolts, making normal forces to the frame.

Unread 05-11-2010, 07:20 AM   #83
northjeep
Jeep parking ONLY

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Oh that "bracket".
Yeah the steering brace is still where all the sheer force is going through my setup...and that's fine with me.

4 bolts on the factory adapter would probably carry you through tire sizes up to 33...but like I said...I've seen them rip off. I guess it depends on the health of the frame there too. I know it's a rust spot on these frames.

Don't you love subjectivity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
Here it is from the FSM. It does not show all the bolts in the pic, but two go through frame and two into frame from below. This particular box shows 3 box ears like a Durango. The 'adapter' allows for four. It looks like the upper rear through bolt would hit no box tab, so I'd put a nut on it to hold the adapter on with 4 bolts, making normal forces to the frame.

Unread 05-11-2010, 06:53 PM   #84
crazyquadder
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Know the durango box drops directly in. 0 modifications needed. And the 3bolts line up correctly. Does the yj skid plate and steering brace still line up(aftermarket of course). Thanks hope to hear from you
crazyquadder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2010, 08:30 AM   #85
northjeep
Jeep parking ONLY

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyquadder View Post
Know the durango box drops directly in. 0 modifications needed. And the 3bolts line up correctly. Does the yj skid plate and steering brace still line up(aftermarket of course). Thanks hope to hear from you
From my experience the brace is a direct fit.
Dunno about the skid plate but I remember hearing it's a direct fit too.
Unread 05-14-2010, 05:12 AM   #86
89CoolJeep

So there is 0 modifications needs its a direct bolt up. Just unbolt old steering box leaving mount in their and just put durango onw directly in. And whay years was it for
89CoolJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2010, 08:44 AM   #87
northjeep
Jeep parking ONLY

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89CoolJeep View Post
So there is 0 modifications needs its a direct bolt up. Just unbolt old steering box leaving mount in their and just put durango onw directly in. And whay years was it for
Seriously I try never to flame. But dude...this was covered on the very first post of this thread.

1999 durango v8 non-plow.
Unread 07-09-2010, 05:34 AM   #88
bfaneros
2002 TJ Wrangler 

TJ with 39.5" iroks, Ripped the box smooth of last night. Thank god I was still in my neighbor hood less than a block from the freeway.
bfaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2010, 09:25 AM   #89
skimsurf
1990 YJ Wrangler 

sounds good since my steering box just sh*t the bed...since its sunday, im kinda screwed till tomorrow, but I got a list of junkyards to call. Thanks!
skimsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2010, 07:01 PM   #90
g4x4xgeoff
1994 YJ Wrangler 

so what was the final parts list and cost?

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/ri-jeeps/[/url]

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/Built_Not_Bought"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #435[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
g4x4xgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.