Dodge durango steering box in a YJ - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Dodge durango steering box in a YJ

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 11-14-2008, 10:37 AM   #16
Brandon_YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter315 View Post
Brandon, you can't just let this one go by with no explanation......???

Alright then.
I'm on my back under the jeep working on... something.
There's a 3/4" wrench sitting on the radiator.
Mike leans on the front or something (probably reaching for his beer ) and the next thing I know I'm getting the boxed end of that heavy assed wrench to the forehead.
Mikes Jeep has 6" of lift on 35s, so it was a long distance down.

So as the movies goes... "if you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball"... obviously, I can't dodge a wrench, so...

And yes, it left a mark.

DISCLAIMER: I (usually) browse the web using Elinks in a (text only) terminal. Which means I do not have image viewing support. So if you get confused by my seemingly inability to comment on your pictures, emoticons, etc; now you know why.
If you're still confused click here to see how I view the forum.
Brandon_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2008, 11:14 AM   #17
northjeep
Jeep parking ONLY

1988 YJ Wrangler 

steering box brace keeps the frame from cracking at the box...usually a rusty spot too.
especially useful if you have lift, tires, no trackbar etc.
My box brace fit both the stock unit and the new durango without modification to the brace, box or frame.
Unread 11-14-2008, 11:41 AM   #18
firefighter315
I got a brain sneeze....

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Had to be a 3/4" too didn't it Brandon?!? Oh well, chicks dig battle wounds, right?

Northjeep, the brace connects the box to the opposite side frame rail, right? Kind of like bridging the two frame rails with an additional crossmember, just with the steering box in between...??? I am SOA with 35s and may be removing my front trackbar after an upcoming spring replacement. (either that or putting a telescoping bar on) Appears to be a good idea for my Heep based on what you are saying, right? Anyone else willing to kick in an opinion too? Thanks NJ!
Unread 11-14-2008, 06:56 PM   #19
northjeep
Jeep parking ONLY

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Where the steering brace attaches...

Quote:
Had to be a 3/4" too didn't it Brandon?!? Oh well, chicks dig battle wounds, right?

Northjeep, the brace connects the box to the opposite side frame rail, right? Kind of like bridging the two frame rails with an additional crossmember, just with the steering box in between...???
Yes and no.
The brace attaches to the snout of the box (just above the pitman arm), and holds the snout parallel to the frame under stress. The ability of the brace to function as a "crossmember" is limited. However, as a steering stiffener and general insurance policy against the box ripping off the frame (more common than you'd think) the brace is indispensable.

Good luck with the new springs!!
Unread 11-14-2008, 07:09 PM   #20
Marine_Mike
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Hey guys.. Just wanted to answer some questions I saw.

Yes I had to shorten the tie rod to account for the wider durango box. And I was screwin with the return hose on the box when I accidently pushed the socket to it's evetual plummeting assault on brandons forehead.

I went to the mounds and ran the box like a bat outta hell and it never even flinched. It steers like a race car...on 35's
Marine_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2008, 10:25 AM   #21
firefighterjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome thread! FF315 just told me about it. Liked the side by side "dimensional reference" picture. Brandon....so you're THAT kid, huh? (funniest part of the movie) Don't feel too bad, at least you don't use your head as a wheel chock!
Unread 11-18-2008, 11:46 AM   #22
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

why would you need to shorten the tie-rod because of a larger box? need more explanation here. or is it that you had to shorten the drag link?
fratis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2008, 12:16 PM   #23
Gildedseat
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratis View Post
why would you need to shorten the tie-rod because of a larger box? need more explanation here. or is it that you had to shorten the drag link?
It's the drag link he's talking about.

On that note I just recently damaged the joint connecting the pitman arm to the drag link. It was hellish trying to get the right part. Apparently in most part shop computers that's called a 'tie rod' or 'connecting rod' not a drag link. go figure.
Unread 11-19-2008, 10:20 AM   #24
Marine_Mike
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yes I was referring to the drag link... duh. That really sucks about messing up the joint to your pitman arm. I've been contomplating a 1 ton steering upgrade. I'll just ad it to my wish list with the other million things.
Unread 11-19-2008, 10:46 AM   #25
firefighter315
I got a brain sneeze....

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gildedseat View Post
It's the drag link he's talking about.

On that note I just recently damaged the joint connecting the pitman arm to the drag link. It was hellish trying to get the right part. Apparently in most part shop computers that's called a 'tie rod' or 'connecting rod' not a drag link. go figure.
I've noticed that most service manuals and online parts bins call the drag link, "tie rod" also. If you notice in QTec and 4WD, they call the tie rod end that attaches the drag link to the PA the "Tie rod/Pitman Arm end link."

Speaking of this assembly, has anyone done much research into the "high steer" modification that uses the adapter that mounts to the top of the steering knuckle with three bolts and therefore allows you to mount the tie rod to the top of the knuckle and decrease the angle of the draglink in relation to the tie rod? Looks like a good solution and a fairly easy install (would suck if you buggered up tapping the newly drilled holes in the top of the knuckle), but the manufacturer states on the website that it is "recommended for offroad use only." I would think the stress on that add on part would be greater off road than on. Unless it's a speed and inertia thing.....Anything to get the drag link and tie rod more parallel in a SOA application has to be an improvement. Would be even sweeter with this Durango upgrade....
Unread 11-19-2008, 10:48 AM   #26
firefighter315
I got a brain sneeze....

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighterjeep View Post
Awesome thread! FF315 just told me about it. Liked the side by side "dimensional reference" picture. Brandon....so you're THAT kid, huh? (funniest part of the movie) Don't feel too bad, at least you don't use your head as a wheel chock!
...and, yeah, FFJeep, I caught this one.....Thanks!
Unread 11-20-2008, 01:01 AM   #27
Marine_Mike
1991 YJ Wrangler 

ok 315.. now it's your turn to explain the wheel chock thing. BTW I thought of the whole flip kit... But I just changed gears to looking for a pass drop 44.
Unread 11-20-2008, 01:14 AM   #28
Brandon_YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Mike! Nice to see you on the forum again. When you get back you'll have to tell me what the hell you are doing over there!
And there are too many Fire Fighters from Kentuckey in this thread, it's hard to keep up with who and what... maybe I need another beer!

And yes, please tell the tire chock story! My little boy almost did that to me one day, but I like hearing of other peoples misery too.
DISCLAIMER: I (usually) browse the web using Elinks in a (text only) terminal. Which means I do not have image viewing support. So if you get confused by my seemingly inability to comment on your pictures, emoticons, etc; now you know why.
If you're still confused click here to see how I view the forum.
Brandon_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2008, 09:20 AM   #29
firefighter315
I got a brain sneeze....

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine_Mike View Post
ok 315.. now it's your turn to explain the wheel chock thing...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon_YJ View Post
And yes, please tell the tire chock story! My little boy almost did that to me one day, but I like hearing of other peoples misery too.
I have been replacing all of the old rubber bushings on my front steering components with poly whenever I get a minute or two to work on them. Also been fighting the dang stabilizer/tie rod connection. Haven't been able to get it to budge AT ALL. I was telling FFJeep the other day how tight it was and told him that after I couldn't even get a PA puller to push it through, that I ended up with a wrench on the nut behind the hole in the tie rod, a pipe wrench on my tie rod (drag link is off) to keep it from torquing too bad, one boot on the driver side tire, and my head wedged against the pass. side tire, all while laying on my creeper. I said that chocking your head against a 35/12.50 GY Wrangler MT with almost new tread wasn't very comfortable!!! I had to wedge myself in like that because every time I would pull on the wrench, I would shoot myself across the garage on my creeper. And, yeah, I tried it off the creeper and just pulled myself across the floor. I am a fairly thick individual (5' 10" 225 lbs.) and he evidently found it amusing to picture me wedged in under my Jeep to keep from wrenching myself at mach 10 across the garage.......

Not as good a story as Brandon's, but there it is.......I didn't get any marks in the process If I were still 8, it would have been a helluva fun time!!!!

FFJeep is just jealous because I can almost sit up on my creeper under the Heep...........he's gonna get there though, REAL SOON!!! He picked up some KILLER wheels/tires yesterday and the lift is sitting in his garage waiting to go on.....
Unread 11-20-2008, 11:06 AM   #30
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
... the manufacturer states on the website that it is "recommended for offroad use only."
(Assuming you're refering to the JB4X4 bracket) Immediately following the "offroad use only" part, it says "JB4x4.COM will not accept responsibility for personal injury or property damage arising from the failure of any parts manufactured or sold by JB4x4.COM. " There was a big discussion on that here quite a while back.

I believe this is just to not assume liability, because they can't control what someone might do to their rig. If you look around there are lots of commonly used "offroad" parts that have a similar disclaimer.

Lot's of guys run it with no problems. I plan to once funds allow for the SOA.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.