Which do you prefer? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Which do you prefer?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!

Unread 07-31-2001, 04:49 AM   #1
Kania2k1

Which do you prefer?

Which transmission do you guy's/gal's prefer for wheelin'? manual or auto? Also have seen a couple hand throttles, what use do they provide that the gas pedal doesn't?

Unread 07-31-2001, 11:56 AM   #2
FLHT_FXRS_YJ

Manual w/granny 1st gear is my choice.

Hand throttle? - you're on a very steep hill, one foot is on the brake, the other is on the clutch, and you need to get moving!
89' YJ - 4.2 - NV4500 - NP231w/sye - 1" Body Lift - 2 1/2" Rancho Suspension Lift - 31" Firestone MTR - AR Outlaw II - Tomken Bumpers F & R - Warn 8000 front - Warn 6000 rec. mount rear - FlowFit Seats - Tom Woods Rear & Custom 2" front driveshafts
FLHT_FXRS_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2001, 01:43 PM   #3
rayray

Quote:
Originally posted by Kania2k1:
Also have seen a couple hand throttles, what use do they provide that the gas pedal doesn't?
A 3rd foot.

rayray
rayray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2001, 02:43 PM   #4
cobra54

Hand throttle is great if you are traveling slow over rocky terrain like a dry creek bed. Without a hand throttle, your foot keeps bouncing on the gas pedal and naturally causes the engine to surge.
01 Black Cobra 4.6L DOHC
02 ZX3 Focus 2.0L DOHC
cobra54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2001, 08:48 PM   #5
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I've heard of some using the hand throttle to wheel, but myself I never use mine for anything but keeping the revs up while I'm running the air system or welder. I do remember one time when a buddy was letting his wife drive on the trail for the first time. She stalled it on a steep hill and pretty much was in a panic state. He just had her restart it, and let out the clutch while he ran the throttle from the passenger seat.

I think for competition Jeeps, the auto is without question the way to go. Much smoother application of torque. The auto is more forgiving on the drivetrain too. Autos seem to hop less.

But for me, the manual is the only way to go. I like the downhill control and my crawl is low enough it makes up for the advantage the auto has in most aspects. Plus, I have a trail Jeep, not a competition Jeep. And a trail Jeep's priority is reliability. If your starter dies, you simply need a push start.

This debate has been going on for ages and it always just seems to boil down to what you like.
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2001, 11:19 AM   #6
fuelin

as far as starters go in autos if one fails i always found that a good whack with a hammer works wonders!
fuelin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.