Do you like your YJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Do you like your YJ?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 03-22-2002, 08:58 PM   #1
mopar_man

Do you like your YJ?

I'm considering buying a YJ. I've heard good and bad things about them. The one I'm considering is an '87. It might get taken off-road but it'll mostly be a daily driver. I'm not expecting great things as far as heat and gas mileage go but how does this add up? This one is a 5-speed, 6-cylinder, hardtop. If I'm going for a daily-driver/rare offroader, should I get a YJ or stick with a XJ Cherokee like I had originally planned?

mopar_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2002, 09:02 PM   #2
bob91yj

I'd stay away from the pre 91 6 cylinder. It is the older carbureted 258" engine. Even as just a daily driver the carb can be a pain in the butt. Ther are cures, easier to just get a 91 or newer to bein with IMO.
Unread 03-22-2002, 09:04 PM   #3
mopar_man

Forgot to add that it sounds completely stock.

As for sticking with '91 or newer, that's out of my price range Even this one is a few hundred more than I want to spend but it's the cheapest I've seen one around here for a while.
Unread 03-22-2002, 09:26 PM   #4
Bob K

Hey...who's knocking my '87? Yeh the carb is a PITA, but can be very endearing when you become familiar with it (only took me five years to get mine working perfectly!!).
31" BFG A/T's
K&N Filter
Custom Rock Guards
Turbo Muffler
Rear Track Bar in the shed
Other Tricks I won't tell to just anybody!

'99 Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8
Towing Package
K&N FIPK
ProComp MX6 shocks
Borla Exhaust
Tow Hooks
Alpine CD with Infinity+iPod connect
Just getting started!

If you're not living on the edge...
you're taking up too much space.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2002, 09:30 PM   #5
mopar_man

Doesn't sound too promising Maybe I'll have to stick with looking for an XJ.
Unread 03-22-2002, 09:37 PM   #6
johny1i

I'll backup what Bob said, I have a 1990 with the 258, and it's my daily driver with over 135,000 miles on it so far and about 1/4 quart of oil consumption between changes. I will say that you need to be at least a little bit mechanically inclined because that Carter can be a pain to get tuned just right, but mine runs great and it's really not that bad temperature or noise-wise with the hardtop on. Don't know what kind of price range you're talking, but parts, etc. are quite reasonable and if you can get a good deal on it, you can probably get your money back out of it if you decide that it's just not for you. Mine has the later AX-15 transmission, so you might want to ask some of these other guys about that earlier Peugeot transmission, which I believe is what you will be getting.
Currently an '86 CJ-7 and a '77 CJ-7 Golden Eagle---#4 and 5 following a '01 Sahara, '90 Sahara, and '85 CJ-7....
johny1i is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2002, 09:42 PM   #7
mopar_man

That was my biggest fear is the carb. I'm fairly inclined mechanically but carbs aren't my deal. My price range is about $4500 Canadian (approx. $2800 US) so I don't have much to swing around. I'm trying to find an XJ, as they're cheaper around here but I'm specifically looking for a 5-speed and the ones around here are all junker 5-speeds or too expensive. The joys of being a college student I guess.
Unread 03-22-2002, 10:22 PM   #8
Bob K

That's right Johnnie. People ask me all the time if the Jeep is cold. Never a problem. Jeeps have a huge heat source right in front of the passengers. Cars, trucks and Jeeps don't really need to rely on insulation to keep the cabin warm.

The Peugot trans isn't as bad as many think. Alrhough reverse gear is the weak point. Jeep makes an upgrade kit, but it costs $500 and another $500 to install. Ask me how I know. MoparMan, if you decide to buy the YJ I'll fill you in on a few tricks that make the BBD a smooth piece of equipment.

My Jeep: http://members.tripod.com/~jason_g1/index26.html
31" BFG A/T's
K&N Filter
Custom Rock Guards
Turbo Muffler
Rear Track Bar in the shed
Other Tricks I won't tell to just anybody!

'99 Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8
Towing Package
K&N FIPK
ProComp MX6 shocks
Borla Exhaust
Tow Hooks
Alpine CD with Infinity+iPod connect
Just getting started!

If you're not living on the edge...
you're taking up too much space.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2002, 10:40 PM   #9
mopar_man

My parents have an '86 XJ (2.5L) and I think it has the Peugot tranny. They had it rebuilt once in about '92 and haven't had any problems since. I think if it's taken care of, it would be ok. I'm assumming BBD is the carb? If not, could you explain what it is? Sorry for all the questions. I just want to know what I'm getting into before I make this decision. This next vehicle (definately going to be a Jeep) needs to be a good one so I want to do my homework.
Unread 03-22-2002, 10:47 PM   #10
ealmond

moparman: I used to have a Cherokee and now I have a 93YJ. They are both great. I live in Colorado and the Cherokee makes a better road vehicle, especially on ice. I wouldn't trade my YJ for anything. They are much easier to do upgrades on. I do most of my shopping in the junkyard as I have little dinero too. You can always find help with carburators, lifts, etc. as I have such as on this web site. Think down the road what you really will be doing and get the vehicle that will suit you. After one good time up on the rocks I was hooked. I have a daily driver that I can take up in the hills and not everything is an obstacle, yet not everything is too easy. I understand the Jeep thing.. an adrenal gland is a terrible thing to waste!
Unread 03-23-2002, 12:36 AM   #11
Mr. Mopar

dude you need to come south. i live in oshawa ( 45 min. east of toronto ) i bought my 91 yj for $5000 and it didnt need any work. you 4 sure want a 4.0 ( sorry 4.2 users) if a yj is what you want. a yj has to be the most impractical truck out there but i love mine so. an xj (and you want a 4.0 in that to no 2.8 crap). will bebetter on gas , probley be less to insure , give you a better ride . but what kind of fun would that be . i love my YJ big time and i will never part with it.
Unread 03-23-2002, 08:54 PM   #12
CaSea4Me

Hey what's with all the bad mouthing of the 258? My '90 yj has approx. 145k on it and as long as you keep it tuned it's a great fun drive. I would not have any problems with buying another. Look for something thats been well maintained. For those who have carb. problems maybe you want to look at the Mopar FI change over?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.