post #1 of Old 04-20-2005, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
condoor

Do you have to run a cast iron fork with the Posi-Lok??

I am running a posi-lok on an axle that I just put under my jeep and it looks like I need to replace the shift fork (lots of slop), and was wondering if I really should spring for the cast iron fork or if people are running their aluminum forks without prob.

thx

post #2 of Old 04-20-2005, 06:56 PM
socko

1992 YJ Wrangler 

When I installed a Posi-lok I went ahead and switched over to the iron fork because I never had much luck with that aluminum fork. It was always bending and cracking. And this cast iron fork seems MUCH stronger, I dont think I could break it if I tried. But I am not sure if it requires a change, I just dont trust the aluminum.
post #3 of Old 04-20-2005, 08:01 PM
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by socko
When I installed a Posi-lok I went ahead and switched over to the iron fork because I never had much luck with that aluminum fork. It was always bending and cracking. And this cast iron fork seems MUCH stronger, I dont think I could break it if I tried. But I am not sure if it requires a change, I just dont trust the aluminum.
been running my alum replacement for about 5 months now. no problems. the original lasted 200K+ miles. the posi isn't going make it wear any faster. definitely replace it with something though either way. i didn't when i should have and ended up having to do it in the winter when i needed 4wd

RIP: '88 YJ 2.5L Ax-5 NP231
Posi-Loked. Herculined. Optima yellow top. 1" Shackle, 2" BDS. Cragar 397's Aussie front.

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
post #4 of Old 04-20-2005, 10:37 PM
socko

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinal02
been running my alum replacement for about 5 months now. no problems. the original lasted 200K+ miles. the posi isn't going make it wear any faster. definitely replace it with something though either way. i didn't when i should have and ended up having to do it in the winter when i needed 4wd
I guess maybe I was just having bad luck
oh well, everything is going fine now.